PDA

View Full Version : The Moose Hole - Review of T3: Rise of the Machines

MickeyMoose15
07-05-2003, 07:38 PM
Released July 2nd, 2003

Director: Jonathan Mostow

Starring: Arnold Schwarzenegger, Nick Stahl, Kristanna Loken, Claire Danes, Alana Curry, Timothy Dowling, Mark Famiglietti, Mark Hicks, Jerry Katell, Brian Sites

Premise: A decade has passed since John Connor (Stahl) helped prevent Judgment Day and save mankind from mass destruction. Now 25, Connor lives "off the grid" - no home, no credit cards, no cell phone and no job. No record of his existence. No way he can be traced by Skynet - the highly developed network of machines that once tried to kill him and wage war on humanity. Until... out of the shadows of the future steps the T-X (Loken), Skynet's most sophisticated cyborg killing machine yet. Sent back through time to complete the job left unfinished by her predecessor, the T-1000, this machine is as relentless as her human guise is beautiful. Now Connor's only hope for survival is the Terminator (Schwarzenegger), his mysterious former assassin. Together, they must triumph over the technologically superior T-X and forestall the looming threat of Judgment Day...or face the apocalypse and the fall of civilization as we know it.

Let’s say you’re an average Joe. You have your favorite sports car, a fabulous job, your own house, a beautiful wife and a great family. You go through life without a care in the world. But these things won’t last. Why? Judgment Day. Imagine a world of complete darkness where man’s destiny is controlled by machines and super computers. Sound familiar? It should because this is the backdrop of the entire Terminator series. The original Terminator cost an estimated $7 million but went on to gross $40 million at the box office. It became so popular on video that Terminator 2: Judgment Day was created, helmed by James Cameron. With a production budget of $100 million, T2 went on to gross $204 million, so it was a no brainer to make another sequel, right? Well, it took them 12 years and a reported $175 million budget but T3 has finally arrived in theaters just in time for the 4th of July holiday. But will Rise of the Machines continue the success of the popular franchise or will this result in its fall?

The story goes that the life of John Connor, the leader of the resistance movement that defeats the machines, is in danger once again. But this time he is not the only target. A T-X Terminator, the most advanced killing machine created by the Skynet network, has been sent to the year 2001 to kill the lieutenants of the future human resistance as well as John Connor himself. But John will be harder to locate because he has been living off the grid for nearly ten years. By having no cell phone, no home, and no real identity, the Skynet network is less able to track him down should the time come. Though he and his mother, Sarah Connor, prevented Judgment Day from occurring on August 29th, 1997 when they prevented the creation of the network, he still lives in fear that the end of the world still may come. He fears are correct as the T-X is looking for him but a T-850, like the one sent to kill him before he was born, has been sent by the resistance movement to ensure his survival. The events that occurred in T2: Judgment Day didn’t prevent Judgment Day, it just delayed it. Within three hours, nearly 3 billion human lives will be destroyed in an instant. Now John Connor must team up with the Terminator and his future wife to try and prevent Judgment Day once again. The story for T3 is not as fabulous as the one done for T2 but with James Cameron not directing this time around, did anybody really expect it to be? Having the opening of the film focus on the thoughts of John Connor and then flash forward to a battle between machines and man was a good way to start off the picture. There are a couple of holes in the plot of the film that could have explained why certain things happen within the film but they really aren’t a huge matter for the film. The ending to the film was also well done but more could have been shown.

The only returning cast member from Terminator 2 is Arnold Schwarzenegger reprising his role as the T-850 Terminator that he made famous nearly twenty years ago. Once again Arnold works extremely well with this role. Though more of the character was done using CGI then in the other previous films, Schwarzenegger still provides an emotional voice to the character in those types of situations. Edward Furlong, who played young John Connor in T2, was dropped from the project when the studio believed that his drug and alcohol problems would delay production, so Nick Stahl was brought in to replace him in the role. Stahl is the not the perfect replacement but still does a very good job with the character. Kristanna Loken is the new villain in the Terminator franchise playing the role of the T-X Terminator, Skynet’s most sophisticated killing machine. She is very plain with her emotion which is good since she plays a machine. The only problem with her character is the questions left unanswered. Her character is made of liquid metal but at one point during the film a part of her is damaged prevent the use of a primary weapon but the film doesn’t explain why this happens. But that really has more to do with the plot then with her. Claire Danes rounds out the rest of the main cast as the future wife of John Connor. There weren’t that many scenes with in the course of the film that really focus on her, which is good since John is more of the focus, but most of the scenes that she was involved in were well done. The introduction of her character and the whole idea of destiny (her and John meeting and eventually getting married) was a good twist to the story.

Overall, Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines is a good summer popcorn film. T3 doesn’t even come close to the majesty of T2 and for several reasons. The dialogue is much less serious then T2 but this was to be expected with James Cameron not at the helm this time around. The plot holes presented in the film also hurt the overall effect. There is no clear explanation on what Skynet is exactly and how it is able to control the machines if there is no core. There are also unanswered questions involving how John Connor and the Terminator are able to enter a secret military area with no problems at all. This doesn’t seem to really matter as all Hell breaks loose soon after. The film is also less dramatic then the first sequel and plays more for just action and laughs but that seems to work on its own level. There were many humorous moments in the film with some working like the statements made by the T-850 replying to situations that machines can’t understand. But there were also moments that didn’t work. For example, the T-X inflates her breasts to get the attention of a cop who pulls her over. This was unnecessary as the cop didn’t even seem to notice. Besides some minor complaints, there are many things that work for the film. The fact that Jonathan Mostow makes this his own film instead of just trying to copy what James Cameron did in T2 is fabulous. The action sequences were well done and the special effects were just absolutely amazing especially at the very end of the film. Speaking of the ending, it was a little disappointing that the film makers ended the film the way they did but that allows them to follow up with a fourth Terminator film and not give away too much. T3 may not be the best film out there but it is still a great film to enjoy over the holiday weekend.

My Rating: **** out of 5 (Grade: B+)

tabuno
07-06-2003, 11:20 PM
The ending I thought was one of the best of the series because it had the classic sci fi twist one expects on a Twilight Zone episode. What really pulled the movie down was some of the overdone and unbelievable chase scenes.

Ilker81x
07-07-2003, 03:01 PM
I like the ending for the fact that it was less ambiguous than either "The Terminator" or "Terminator 2: Judgement Day." While some might dislike it for this reason, I like the idea that finally we are given some sense of the definites, that there are some things that can not be changed, no matter how much you try. Skynet was still built and activated, they couldn't stop it, only delay it. I like the idea of destiny...I don't necessarily believe in it, at least not wholeheartedly, but I do believe that there are some things in this world that will happen, no matter what you say or do. Maybe James Cameron didn't like this idea, and maybe that's why he has nothing to do with the third movie besides creating the Terminator, but I think it was a good fresh spin on the series. As for the chase scenes...it's an action movie...it's meant to be unbelievable, and this movie had a lot of that. It didn't matter to me, I thought it was cool, I was entertained, and really...isn't that the point of a movie like this? Sure it's got a pretty intelligent story, but at its heart it is just an action movie. Enjoy it!

tabuno
07-08-2003, 12:47 AM
While I can take some amount of fantasy in superhero comic movies, there comes a point, particularly in "science" "fiction" where the law of physics (the science component) in sci fi movies needs to be maintained. When in T3, I see some impossible crane truck speeding along (which it can't) and crushing all in its path, including buildings, which I don't believe, then the movie becomes just an attempt to make things bigger and meaner without some sense of reasonable sense of public gullibility. No, I couldn't let go with this case scene which just reminded me how profit-oriented and mass audience mush some directors are willing to go. It's a great, wonderful action thriller that James Bond movies are able to retain some resemblance of the imagination not wild, crazed goop.

Ilker81x
07-08-2003, 07:54 AM
I will agree that the movie was an attempt to make things bigger and meaner and that it was profit-oriented, and I will agree that science fiction by nature should allow for plausibility and a reasonable amount of realism since most of it is based on "science." I don't agree that it should be expected in movies though. Science fiction and fantasy go hand in hand, and I believe that one of the greatest science fiction fantasies is that of time travel. I'm not the smartest man in the world when it comes to physics and science, but I know some, and given our present state of technology (and the state of technology in the foreseeable future), we will not be able to travel through time because it requires speeds that are as yet impossible. Yet, "The Terminator" (as well as a slew of other sci-fi films and stories) suggests that they can travel through time through a chamber no bigger than a phone booth or a car, and that time travel is acheived through acceleration of nuclear energy. There are many other theories related to time travel that have not been explored in film (save for a few animes), like the theory of infinity, that all time is a single point, no past and no future, just an ongoing continuous existence. Plausible? Not now, and certainly not in the next fifty years as "The Terminator" suggests, but in theory it could be done. And besides...don't most theories start out being dismissed by others as fantasies? When dealing with any science fiction story, there is a suspension of belief, and this is especially so when dealing with time travel. Yes it's impossible for a crane truck to travel as fast as it was. But it's also impossible for us to make Terminators...sure we could make the robot, but could we make it seem human? It's impossible for us to make anything even remotely similar to a T-1000 or a T-X. It's also impossible for us to send them through time. Sure it came from the future, and maybe in 1984, the idea of time travel and Terminators was somewhat likely in the year 2030, but today? Perhaps I'll be proven wrong and we'll have intelligent robots and droids walking around in the next three decades, but not to that level of sophistication, and I seriously doubt we'll have time travel by 2030. We're still trying to send people to Mars, how are we going to send people back in time? Science fiction may be based in science, but it is still fiction...this is why I think in a sci-fi action film like "Terminator 3: Rise of the Machines," it is unfair to criticize it for its overbloated and impossible action scenes. Everything else about the story is based in the fantastical...I think it's a better idea to just let it go and enjoy it. But...that's just me.