PDA

View Full Version : The Moose Hole - Review of Pirates of the Caribbean

MickeyMoose15
07-10-2003, 07:56 PM
Released July 9th, 2003

Director: Gore Verbinski

Starring: Johnny Depp, Geoffrey Rush, Orlando Bloom, Tom Wilkinson, Keira Knightly, Jonathan Pryce, Jack Davenport

Premise: For the roguish yet charming Captain Jack Sparrow (Depp), the crystalline waters of the Caribbean, like the high seas the world over, present a vast playground where adventure and mystery abound. But Jack’s idyllic life capsizes after his nemesis, the wily Captain Barbossa (Rush), steals his ship, the Black Pearl, and later attacks the town of Port Royal, kidnapping the Governor’s (Pryce) beautiful daughter, Elizabeth Swann (Knightly). Elizabeth’s childhood friend, Will Turner (Bloom), joins forces with Jack to commandeer the fastest ship in the British fleet, the HMS Interceptor, in a gallant attempt to rescue her and recapture the Black Pearl. The duo and their motley crew are pursued by Elizabeth's betrothed, the debonair, ambitious Commodore Norrington (Davenport), aboard the HMS Dauntless. Unbeknownst to Will, there is a curse that has doomed Barbossa and his crew to live forever as the undead, where each moonlight, they are transformed into living skeletons. The curse they carry can be broken only if a once-plundered treasure is restored.

The Walt Disney Company, which has been known for family fun and entertainment, has had moderate success at the box office with their animated films and pre-teen oriented live action films. Unfortunately they have not had the success of franchises like Harry Potter or the Lord of the Rings. Disney has been so desperate for a hit lately that they have dug not only into their archives and remaking some of their classic films like Freaky Friday but they have attempted to make film versions of their famous Disneyland attractions. Their first attempt at making the cross over from attraction to film, The Country Bears, was an embarrassment. The film barely (pardon the pun) pulled in $16 million in its entire run against a production budget of $20 million. Not only was the film a financial failure but a critical one as well. The studio hopes to bounce back from that failure with the film version of Pirates of the Caribbean. Pirates is helmed by Gore Verbinski, director of the horror hit The Ring, and produced by Jerry Bruckheimer. Not only that but it stars Orlando Bloom and Johnny Depp with special effects created by Industrial Light and Magic. How could it fail? Quite easily. The film is about pirates and pirates have been deemed box office poison for years. Look at Disney’s Treasure Planet as a most recent example. So can the good aspects out weigh the bad and break the pirate curse or will all this “yo ho, ho” be just a “bottle of rum”?

The story follows the adventures of Captain Jack Sparrow, a pirate who seems to be low on his luck. It all started when he crew created mutiny on his ship nearly ten years ago and left him deserted on an island in the middle of the Caribbean. Ever since then he has been moving from place to place searching for the Black Pearl. It is just by coincidence that he is captured on the same island where the last piece of cursed treasure is located. What cursed treasure? The treasure of Cortez that was stolen by the crew, lead by Captain Barbossa, that mutinied nearly ten years ago. The problem is that treasure was cursed and unless the treasure is returned, these men will be the living undead. They will turn into skeletons at night but look human in the daylight. They will also be unable to eat, drink, sleep, or even feel until the curse is broken. WillTurner, a blacksmith of the town, joins with Captain Jack after Barbossa and his crew kidnaps his true love, Elizabeth Turner. But there are more mysterious reasons for Turner to follow the Black Pearl that involve Captain Jack Sparrow as well. The story for The Curse of the Black Pearl is an exciting one though there are many holes in it. Those holes always seem to appear in the scripts of Bruckheimer films, so this film seems to be no different. It is best just to ignore those holes in the plot and sit back to enjoy a great action flick. One has to admit, though, that the dialogue within the film was much more serious then previous Bruckheimer films which indicate he is learning to mature his film making.

The cast for Pirates of the Caribbean is very well put together. Johnny Depp, who has worked on Sleepy Hollow and Edward Scissorhands, is probably the best feature of the film outside the special effects. Depp makes the role of Captain Jack Sparrow his very own and presents a style to him that makes you want to trust him but knowing he is a pirate tells you to be wary. The comedic timing presented Depp is absolutely perfect and works very well in every scene he is in. Depp performs so well that you feel an emotional connection to him that makes the ending all the more intense. Orlando Bloom, who is best known for his role in The Lord of the Rings series, does a good job as Will Turner. There are still some questions about the character that remain unanswered at the end of the film but that has more to do with the script then with Bloom’s performance. Geoffrey Rush is absolutely devilish as Captain Barbossa. He presents a style that is both charming and creepy at the same time, which works exceedingly well in this film. Keira Knightly, who had a breakout role in Bend It like Beckham, does a wonderful job as Elizabeth Swann, the governor’s daughter who is much tougher then most would think. The remainder of the cast is perfect for the most part. The only role that seems out of place is Governor Swann, played by Jonathan Pryce. There just seemed to be too little of the character and when the character is shown, he doesn’t do anything for the scenes. He is just a mere distraction that doesn’t work very well.

Overall, Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl is probably one of the best action flicks of the year. There may be a lot of holes in the plot of the story and at moments there may be no point to certain sword fights, but that doesn’t seem to matter at all. The special effects, created by Industrial Light and Magic, are the most amazing CGI work that has been seen in quite awhile. The skeletons look absolutely astounding and look even better in the final fight sequence of the film. The musical score for the picture is very original and works so well. Altogether everything seems to come together for the film and presents a delightful action flick that is so rare these days. There were very few problems for the film. The only one that can be thought of right away is the time length. At a time of two hours and twenty minutes, the film seems a bit too longer for the audience that it is intended for but that is a small squabble compared to overall effect of the film. Not a theatrical classic but an out and out good popcorn action flick for the whole family.

My Rating: ****1/2 out of 5 (Grade: A)

oscar jubis
07-11-2003, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by MickeyMoose15
The story for The Curse of the Black Pearl is an exciting one though there are many holes in it. Those holes always seem to appear in the scripts of Bruckheimer films, so this film seems to be no different. Johnny Depp is probably the best feature of the film outside the special effects. Depp makes the role of Captain Jack Sparrow his very own. The comedic timing presented Depp is absolutely perfect and works very well in every scene he is in. Depp performs so well that you feel an emotional connection to him that makes the ending all the more intense. There may be a lot of holes in the plot of the story and at moments there may be no point to certain sword fights, but that doesn’t seem to matter at all. Not a theatrical classic but an out and out good popcorn action flick for the whole family.
My Rating:****1/2 out of 5 (Grade: A)

Your grade/rating is as bloated as the film, overstuffed with too many swordfights involving characters that cannot die, and too many quasi-endings that dilute the film's impact. Following the relentless plot becomes a bit frustrating when the viewer encounters the many plot holes you mention. They divert our attention from the simpler pleasures in abundance here: well-staged action, quirky details, eye-catching sets, witty remarks, and performances by Rush (doing his best with an underwritten role) and Johnny Depp. A "good popcorn action flick" usually does not translate into an A. But Mr. Depp's bravura performance elevates this enjoyable, flawed movie into must-see territory.

Johann
07-25-2003, 04:57 PM
Just saw the delectable "POTC: Curse of the Black Pearl".

Great pirate film. It seemed a little weak in the plot dept., but it was very enjoyable nonetheless. Johnny and his buffoonery was just what I needed: "But where is the rum?!"

The skeleton aspect was quite tiresome I must say.
As someone already mentioned- why fight them if they can't be killed? Just for some horror window dressing? Yes sir.

Jon Pryce, Bloom & Rush were great. The girl never seemed to lose her impeccable beauty even though she was in the midst of a sea war!! Oh well, she was the only female to ogle at so I guess that's forgivable...

MickeyMoose15
07-26-2003, 08:20 PM
Ebert made the same comment and it is somewhat of a stupid one. The navy doesn't know they are undead. Plus the skeleton pirates attack them first. Are the men just suppose to give up and let the pirates kill them. They may not be able to kill them but at least they are defending themselves.

redheadfrk
07-29-2003, 04:38 PM
Well I am very interested in the friendly banter between the posters. I think that I agree in that a pirate movie, would not be a pirate movie without some sword fights. I mean, c'mon. Although the cursed pirates could not die, they probably still liked the thrill of good swordplay(since they didn't have much else )...and the navy soldiers weren't going to let Barbossa's men slaughter them.

I thought it was a good film, and I hardly noticed anyone other than Depp. (which is hard for me to admit, since I really like Orlando Bloom...nice) Captain Jack Sparrow deifinitely carried the film, and kept it witty and moving. "But why is the rum gone?" "But you have heard of me..." He's just conveys this immense self-confidence, and it is attracting. (even though is psuedo-plans seem to have a few flaws) I think that we can all agree Johnny Depp has to be an incredibly eccentric person in real-life. He has such an amazing range of character. (Edward Scissorhands, Blow, What's Eating Gilbert Grape, Sleepy Hollow/From Hell (I put those together, he was almost the same in both))

Overall, good film, despite the obvious plot errors and 'holes'. Remember folks, a movie is a movie, you just have to use your imagination/fill in the gaps yourself. It is only allotted so much time.

tabuno
07-30-2003, 01:21 AM
This version of pirates has hit gold with the mass audience and is fast becoming the stealth movie of the year by its staying power at the box office. The pirate genre and its holding power says something of the acting, the beauty of the photography, and script/plot - the entire delicious fantasy get a way - just like getting away to Disneyland for grown ups. What a few hours vacation in your own private movie theater in town.