PDA

View Full Version : Chris Marker

Johann
07-17-2003, 05:40 PM
I don't know if anybody on these boards reads Film Comment, but the last 2 months they have showcased the incomparable Chris Marker in a 2-part tribute.

I thought I was the only one on earth who understood La Jetee and Sans Soleil. (I've never even mentioned him to fellow film nuts because I thought he would be misunderstood like Kubrick and Greenaway) If anyone would like to chat about Marker- "The Phantom of the Opera" as I call him, I'm all ears. The Kurosawa thread is on hiatus until next week, so I'm free to pick someone's brain..

oscar jubis
07-25-2003, 01:09 AM
I own a shorts compilation dvd that features LA JETEE, which I love. I think I saw SANS SOLEIL but actually I'm not sure. Marker (and Guy Maddin) are two artists I ought to seek out more. A film I saw recently seems somewhat related: an experimental 70-min feature called DECASIA (Decay+Fantasia). It combines bits of old damaged films and an eerie musical score to create something quite compelling. Folks wedded to narrative coherence and plot should look elsewhere.

Johann
07-25-2003, 05:02 PM
Marker's "La Jetee" is, to me, his masterpiece. Hands down. "Sans Soleil" is an early 80's goldmine of multi-media & dream exploration, something Marker is still doing. His CD-Rom "IMMEMORY" is something I'm dying to check out.

I've only seen "Gimli" from Maddin. (He's Canadian & I also need to see more of his stuff).
I love those directors who come out from left field with pure breathtaking originality. (Such as Marker, Maddin, Taymor, Resnais and The Bros. Quay).

As for Decasia, I looked it up on the imdb and noticed that it isn't available on video in any format.
Any info, Oscar?

oscar jubis
07-31-2003, 10:26 AM
Originally posted by Johann
As for Decasia, I looked it up on the imdb and noticed that it isn't available on video in any format.
Any info, Oscar?
Currently the only place you can puchase the dvd is at www.decasia.com for $40. The site has quotes from the likes of Kenneth Anger praising the film. DECASIA has recently played several times on Sundance Channel, if you are lucky to have access to the best cable channel for cinephiles (along with Turner Classics). The film is notable enough to bet on the Cinemateque showing it soon if they haven't already.

pmw
07-31-2003, 11:45 AM
In the past few months Ive seen two Marker films (both part of Film Comment Film Series at Lincoln Center): THE BATTLE OF THE TEN MILLION and 2084.

2084 - sort of a retro-future-tech themed short about trade unions.

TEN MILLION- Chronicles Castro's attempt in 1970 to bring about a 10 million pound sugar harvest. "A precise and unclichéd view of the implications of revolution in South America" (Time Out).

Both were great to see.

Guy Maddins latest, Cowards Bend the Knee, was screened at the Tribeca Film Festival earlier this year and I thought it was awesome. Here's a brief encapsulation from imdb:

It's time for hockey! There's no telling what will happen when the Winnipeg Maroons' own star player Guy becomes embroiled in the twisted lives of Meta, a vengeful Chinoise, and her hairdresser/abortionist mother Liliom. Innocent Veronica, caught in the middle, is treated to both services! Meanwhile poor, dithering, cowardly Guy can only stand by and watch.

Maddin cracks me up.
P

Johann
07-31-2003, 01:08 PM
You can't believe the anger with myself for missing Marker's documentary on Tarkovsky: "A Day in the Life of Andrei Arsenovich" which played here just a few weeks ago. I had to work that night and it only played one night. ARRGGH!
It's ok, tho. I know that more Marker films will play. He's one of the greats. Jon Rosenbaum said that it honors Tark to fullest without tarnishing his mystique.

BTW, Oscar- I just read the book you recommended by Rosenbaum: MOVIE WARS. Got it from the library. Needless to say, I've already ordered it on-line. Incredible book. But this is the first time I've disagreed with Jon on a few things. He slams "Yankee Doodle Dandy" as a weak Cagney film and his "alternative AFI list" has some titles on it that I hate. He also says that he would keep about 25% of the titles from the original list- including Duck Soup- a film that I can't stand. I've attempted to see it 3 times trying to figure out why all these critics call it a classic. It's not funny. (the Marx bros. are disturbing to me)

I HATE DUCK SOUP.

There, I said it. Jon's writing is so intelligent yet so READABLE! This guy is a true teacher. I would kill to be in one of his lectures. I wouldn't even take notes. I would just stare & listen...

Next week is Brakhage. I'm incredibly pumped.
His "Dog Star Man" was one of the first 10 films chosen by the Museum of Modern Art to be registered. I'll see the 75 min. doc twice. (At $8.50, why not? I did it for Kiarostami's Ten...)

HorseradishTree
07-31-2003, 11:39 PM
Yeah, Marx humor is pretty weird, but once you get it, it's a real gutbuster. I think I liked Animal Crackers better anyway. Have you seen that? And have you seen any of Groucho's show? Truly classic stuff.

Johann
08-01-2003, 11:18 AM
There is only one thing I laughed at in relation to a Marx Brother:

Marlon Brando asked Harpo what he does to satisfy a woman in bed. Harpo replied:

"HARPO FUCKS FOR HARPO".

They should put that on a t-shirt. They'd sell millions.

oscar jubis
08-05-2003, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by Johann
BTW, Oscar- I just read the book you recommended by Rosenbaum: MOVIE WARS. Incredible book. But this is the first time I've disagreed with Jon on a few things. He slams "Yankee Doodle Dandy" as a weak Cagney film. Jon's writing is so intelligent yet so READABLE! This guy is a true teacher.

This Alabama Jew has lived and worked in Paris, New York, San Diego, London, and of course, Chicago. He befriended Welles, Tati, and many others of equal importance. His perspective is truly international. His writing is informed by almost 60 years of obsessive viewing, digesting and discussing cinema. He understands that criticism is inherently subjective, making self-awareness and self-exposure imperative. He communicates clearly(and without condescension) the reasons behind his appraisal of a given film.
MOVIE WARS deals with a most important issue for cinema lovers: being able to watch in a theatre the best films being made, regardless of provenance. Rosenbaum understands how Hollywood and the media work hand in hand to dictate which films are important and marketable. Some of the best films that play in NYC and London are rarely seen elsewhere. Too many so-called critics are blurb-whores and junketeers.
Whether I agree or disagree with him, I always learn from his reviews, especially the long ones. (I probably agree with Variety's Todd McCarthy more often but learn far less). As for YANKEE DOODLE DANDY, I bet Rosenbaum objects to the flag-waving and whitewashing of history, rather than Mr. Cagney's electrifying performance. I certainly plan to enjoy it yet again, on Thursday, when it's Cagney day at Turner Classic Movies.

Johann
08-06-2003, 07:21 PM
If Jon's dismissal of Yankee Doodle is based on the eye-rolling patriotism, then I agree with him.

Like Mifune in Yojimbo, YDD is all about Cagney.

Today people are touting that punk Justin Timberlake as a great dancer. Horseshit. Watch Cagney in "Yankee" wipe the floor with that boy-band bitch.