PDA

View Full Version : El Mariachi

HorseradishTree
07-22-2003, 09:00 AM
If you haven't seen this, I strongly suggest you do. It will remind you of Robert Rodriguez's days before his head went Hollywood.

This film has become a family favorite. We still find ourselves quoting this low-budget masterpiece ("En una botella, we").

When compared to the quality of his newer films, I'd say that Rodriguez was better off where he was, filmmaking-wise. Desperado was a totally unnecessary remake where all of a sudden EVERYBODY has weapons in their music cases. It's almost humorous. Making Desperado was like making High Noon a film where the protagonist was killing everyone until high noon, instead of vice-versa. And now I see the trailer for Once Upon a Time in Mexico. I must say Johnny Depp is one of the world's greatest actors, but why throw him AND Salma Hayek into the fray/mess?

And I guess it's bearable for him to make one family film now or then, but it seems to me like he's just throwing out these Spy Kids films like mad, descending in quality every time.

Well, it's pretty early in the morning here, so please excuse my unexcusable ramblings.

Johann
07-30-2003, 03:18 PM
Get ready for the most kick-ass installment of the "mariachi" movies: ONCE UPON A TIME IN MEXICO .

All of the stars who made the first two such bombastic entertainment are back with one more hombre who makes this the most anticipated film of the year for me:

His grace, JOHNNY DEPP.
(fresh off the box-office hit "Pirates of the Carribean").

Ole Ole where can I find some peyote?

HorseradishTree
08-01-2003, 11:39 AM
Yeah, I'm pretty stoked. Johnny Depp sure looks to be a total badass in OUATIM. I'm also looking forward to Willem Dafoe's performance. He usually just blows me away.