PDA

View Full Version : ARARAT on dvd

oscar jubis
07-31-2003, 09:05 AM
ARARAT, the winner of 5 Genies(Canadian Academy awards) including best picture of 2002 is now available on home video. The film was written and directed by Atom Egoyan, the maker of Exotica and The Sweet Hereafter, two of the classic dramas of the 1990s.
Johann has championed the film in this site but many included myself were denied the opportunity to follow his recommendation. ARARAT received a very limited North American release Nov/Dec 2002, grossing only $1.6 million. At least the 2-disc dvd is full of worthy features and does not seem diminished by the smaller screen.

ARARAT is about a film crew making an epic about the WWar I genocide of 1.5 million Armenians by Ottoman Turks. Raffi, an 18 y.o. driver of Armenian descent, is returning from Turkey with footage of Armenian sites he took after shooting was completed in Toronto. Raffi is detained and questioned at the airport by customs officer Christopher Plummer. This officer has a gay son whose lover plays the villain in the film. Raffi's mother is an art critic hired as a consultant to incorporate a new character (master painter Arshile Gorky) into the screenplay. ARARAT not only shows scenes of the epic as these are being shot, but also flashes back to show Gorky as a boy in 1915 and as an artist struggling with tragic memories in 1935.

ARARAT is extremely ambitious,a muti-layered film that is nonetheless engaging as narrative and easy to follow. There are many subplots not mentioned here. The achronological structure allows for the necessary distance to ponder the difficulties inherent in creating art with a historical dimension, the struggle to come to terms with familial legacy, and the mechanisms and consequences of the denial of history. To this day, Turkey continues to turn down pleas from the world community to acknowledge the holocaust depicted here. Egoyan, true to self, chooses to explore complex issues rather then jerk our tears, though the 1915 scenes are devastating. Egoyan depends on Michael Hanna's evocative musical score to provide emotional counterpoint.

ARARAT is an absolute must-see. Why can't an awarded, English-language(mostly) movie receive a proper release in North America? Simply the most ourageous recent example of what's wrong with the marketing and distribution of film here. A denied genocide has resulted in a neglected film.
Rent it and tell us about it.

Johann
11-27-2003, 02:49 PM
I picked up Ararat today. Great DVD release.

Anyone have the "Atom Egoyan Collection" box set? If not,
then I shamelessly recommend buying it.

I have to support and endorse Canadian films.
(Even if I receive nary a sudbury nickel....)

oscar jubis
12-01-2003, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by Johann
Anyone have the "Atom Egoyan Collection" box set? If not,
then I shamelessly recommend buying it

Is it the 2-disc box labeled:Essential Egoyan, which collects three shorts and his first two features: NEXT OF KIN and FAMILY VIEWING?

Johann
12-01-2003, 12:35 PM
The Egoyan box contains
The Sweet Hereafter
The Adjuster
Felicia's Journey
Calendar
& Exotica

It comes in a beautiful box similar to the Chabrol box with Egoyan's "signature" on the box.

Great set, and it retails for $99 in Canada.

I picked up the Claude Chabrol box set here in Paris. I might not come back....

check out Atom's website: www.egofilmarts.com

oscar jubis
12-02-2003, 11:07 PM
Looks like we have a two-men Egoyan Admiration Society here. Thanks to you I just visited his website. I've been hoping for a new convert, but at least you understand. I cannot name a living director from outside Asia that I admire more. I divide his films into three ratings: Very Good, Excellent and Masterpiece. He is so consistent. I've seen the 9 features, some several times, particularly the ones in the box. Calendar, Exotica, Sweet Hereafter and Ararat are perhaps strongest. I respond to his themes, his idiosynchratic narrative structures, the scripts and performances, and the visual intelligence.

As far as purchases, I went for the Next of Kin/Family Viewing 2-pack because it includes three shorts I've never seen and I've only seen the films once or twice. I've seen Sweet and Exotica about five times each. The average consumer should get this Signature box first. Egoyan comments on some of them. By the way, I attended the U.S. premiere of Speaking Parts at the Miami Film Fest. Egoyan introduced the film and answered questions at the end.

Johann
12-03-2003, 12:36 PM
Yes, it's frustrating trying to turn people on to filmmakers. It's like pulling teeth sometimes. I often feel like I'm grovelling, and I only want to broaden people's horizons.

It's their loss...

Glad to hear you met Atom. I met him as well in Calgary in 2002- he was the guest of honor at the film festival opening gala where Ararat preimiered.

Atom lives in my current home of Vancouver (he also has a home in Toronto). I expect to see him again at the Cinematheque sometime- he's bound to appear.

Celebrities are often spotted at the Cinematheque. Patrick Stewart came to see a film with 3 other people, Gillian Anderson of the X-Files came in when I was there- she had blonde hair! and of course the filmmakers who visited (which I regret to say I did not see): Godard, Herzog, Brakhage, Cronenberg, Friedkin-he introduced The Exorcist I heard- and others. I plan on living in Van a long time, so I'll let everyone know if I spot more celebrities. I've only worked as a volunteer there for a few months, but so far it's been a wonderful time. The films are what matters, and the programming is always top-notch.

Atom Egoyan is Armenian but he is our adopted son (raised in Victoria, Brakhage's final home).
David Cronenberg is our brilliant black sheep...

Johann
12-31-2003, 01:06 PM
The country of Turkey wants to join the European Union, so they are becoming a little more liberal- but not too liberal- by showing Atom Egoyan's Ararat to it's people.

But not before censoring it.

According to the Associated Press, "at least one scene depicting Ottomans raping Armenian women would be censored".

Hmmmm.....