PDA

View Full Version : Seabisquit - Among Best Movie of The Year

tabuno
08-03-2003, 05:36 PM
This gorgeous, fabulously narrated, and powerfully shot and performed motion picture erupts on the screen bringing to American audience the triumph from tragedy. A horse brings together the lives of three people that blend into a historical event, phenomenon that is richly captured in brilliant color, photography, action camera work, cinematography. This film is a favorite for Oscar nomination for Best Picture, Best Actor, Best Supporting Actor, Best Cinematgraphy.

Chris Knipp
08-23-2003, 05:18 PM
I agree. As I watched this, I was thinking, "If this gets the Oscar, that'll be fine with me." It provides a lot of simple, mainstream pleasure, without ever ceasing to be extremely well done. I assume that's what the Academy is looking for (though that may be merely my fantasy of the Academy). To my mind, that conjunction also occurred with Titanic. It doesn't really happen often.

oscar jubis
08-25-2003, 07:39 AM
THE RETURN OF THE KING is the last opportunity the Academy has to reward the monumental achievement that is LORD OF THE RINGS and its creator Peter Jackson. The film that could get in the way of justice has yet to be released. Seabisquit is certainly not that movie. I am writing this having no idea about the films scheduled for December release.

Chris Knipp
08-25-2003, 09:17 AM
I was speaking loosely. I would be happy if both movies got some Oscars, Oscar.

tabuno
08-25-2003, 10:55 PM
I am shocked at Oscar Jubis bold statement that Seabisquit is "certainly not that movie" to be nominated for an Oscar without offering any support for such a wide-ranging, definite pronouncement. What kind of opinion is that, particularly on this Board?

Chris Knipp
08-25-2003, 11:40 PM
We are all prone to overstatement at times. Seabisquit in my opinion is a fine movie. Of course the whole Lord of Rings trilogy is a larger achievement in sheer physical terms. But would the whole trilogy be under consideration, when it didn't come out in one year?

My position remains, that if Seabiscuit by some chance got the Oscar for Best Picture, I wouldn't be disappointed. Far worse movies have been so rewarded, to put it mildly. And I say this, I bring up the Oscar, because Seabiscuit has to my mind huge mainstream appeal. I'm not so sure that the Tolkien trilogy does. It appeals to all ages, but it doesn't move everybody. The Seabiscuit story does. If Jackson hasn't gotten the accolades Oscar Jubis would like by now, that may mean that he isn't going to get them. And as Oscar implies, some more powerful contenders may still be on their way in the last quarter.

But let's not invest too much in the Oscars. They have their limitations.

HorseradishTree
08-26-2003, 06:31 PM
I think this is the last year I'm actually going to pay attention to the Oscars, then pull a Woody Allen and go do something else. The only reason I'm checking it out is for Return of the King. I get the feeling this baby's gonna take the prize this year.

Chris Knipp
08-26-2003, 10:11 PM
I think this is the last year I'm actually going to pay attention to the Oscars, then pull a Woody Allen and go do something else.

Great idea. But being a movie buff and living in California I don't think I can do it. Besides, Woody Allen showed up at the Oscars recently, as I recall. And lo! he was good.

HorseradishTree
08-27-2003, 06:35 PM
True, so I guess I have to watch the oscars again.

Chris Knipp
08-28-2003, 12:29 AM
But just one more time, right?