PDA

View Full Version : The Truth About Charlie

bix171
08-13-2003, 11:51 PM
Jonathan Demme’s unfortunate updating of Stanley Donen’s minor comedy-thriller “Charade” lacks the only thing the original had going for it, namely the obvious chemistry between leads Audrey Hepburn and Cary Grant. “The Truth About Charlie” features a self-serious, one-dimensional Thandie Newton and a wooden Mark Wahlberg, showing no interest in either each other or in lightening up—Demme has apparently asked them to take the proceedings entirely too seriously and they’re only too happy to oblige. Demme’s obvious intention to deliver lighter fare after the somber “Beloved” and “Philadelphia” is in principle a good idea and this should have been a fun romp. But it’s isn’t and it’s easy to see where Demme goes wrong: the unfortunate casting is perhaps the worst in several years and not even the international supporting cast (including Christine Boisson, Ted Levine, Joong-Hoon Park and a smug Tim Robbins) or the French New Wave cameos (Agnes Varda, Charles Aznavour and Anna Karina) can save it. It’s a whimpering bore and a waste—coming from a director of Demme’s stature, it’s also a major disappointment.

HorseradishTree
08-14-2003, 12:45 AM
Hear hear. I still don't understand why Hollywood still loves Mark Wahlberg. Everything I've seen him in makes me cringe.

Remaking Charade is like remaking Strangelove; you just don't do it. It's a classic that can stand well on its own.

Trachtenberg
12-08-2003, 04:45 PM
this movie was so boring i only watched half of it and trust me it takes alot to put me off a movie, this had nothing what so ever going for it.

it`s as bad as driller killer & hercules in new york, it`s in the same league as them and i aint joking.

never seen the original starring the lovely Miss Audrey Hepburn, the best cary grant movie i saw was ``Arsenic & old lace`` it was funny :).

Frank56
12-11-2003, 02:52 PM
This remake was boring....and the only reason I purchased it this past weekend is that the copy I got has the original inspiration, "Charade" on the flip side of the DVD....