PDA

View Full Version : The Moose Hole - Review of Once Upon a Time in Mexico

MickeyMoose15
09-14-2003, 12:31 PM
Released September 12th, 2003

Director: Robert Rodriguez

Starring: Antonio Banderas, Salma Hayek, Johnny Depp, Willem Dafoe, Rubén Blades, Eva Mendes, Mickey Rourke, Danny Trejo, Gerardo Vigil, Enrique Iglesias, Cheech Marin, Marco Leonardi

Premise: The saga of the mythic guitar-slinging hero, El Mariachi (Banderas), continues in Robert Rodriguez's bold, non-stop action epic "Once Upon a Time in Mexico". The new adventure is set against a backdrop of revolution and greed. Haunted and scarred by loss, El Mariachi has retreated into a life of isolation. He is forced out of hiding by Sands (Depp), a corrupt CIA agent. Sands recruits the reclusive hero to sabotage a plot by the evil cartel kingpin Barillo (Dafoe), who is planning to assassinate the president of Mexico. El Mariachi has his own reasons for returning - retribution and revenge. Now, together with his capable cohorts Lorenzo (Iglesias) and Fideo (Leonardi) the legend of El Mariachi attains new levels of excitement.

Can it be true? Is the action flick set in the West making a come back in the local Cineplex? It sure appears that way with Kevin Costner’s Open Range rounding up nearly $50 million in tickets sales and now Robert Rodriguez returns to Mexico in the series that made him famous. Once Upon a Time in Mexico is technically the third film in what has been dubbed the El Mariachi series ....

Click Here to Read the Rest of the Review!! (http://www.hostultra.com/~TheMooseHole/Once%20Upon%20a%20Time%20in%20Mexico.htm)

tabuno
09-15-2003, 11:30 PM
MickeyMoose15's capsule review on this site can't really done justice to this film. His "full film review" captures the essence and just the right flavor of this decent action movie.

Johann
09-16-2003, 02:21 AM
Great review, Moose.

I'm seeing this film tomorrow.

I love the fact that you've got stamps of the two one-sheets with the review.

HorseradishTree
09-17-2003, 08:53 PM
Whoa, haven't been on in a while. Anyway, my friends and I had a wonderful evening viewing the entire El Mariachi trilogy, ending with a venture to the movies. This may be a bit hasty, but I think Robert Rodriguez could possibly have made the best barely-any-sense flick since True Lies! One can tell he watches a lot of movies, as he has taken everything that makes a bitchin' action film and rolls all into one big tortilla! Kudos to the man, who still managed to keep his budget fairly low (for a film of this magnitude) and prove that money doesn't make the movie for you.

Johann
09-19-2003, 12:53 PM
My man Johnny Depp is one cool motherfucker.

That's it. That's my review. Call me lazy, but Johnny is picante in "Once Upon a Time".
He makes the movie for me. Everyone is great, but John-boy? Hoo-Ha!!