PDA

View Full Version : Guy Maddin

rocketrogerhood
10-05-2003, 11:40 PM
what do you guys think?

pmw
12-07-2003, 02:13 PM
From an earlier post:

In the past few months Ive seen two Marker films (both part of Film Comment Film Series at Lincoln Center): THE BATTLE OF THE TEN MILLION and 2084.

2084 - sort of a retro-future-tech themed short about trade unions.

TEN MILLION- Chronicles Castro's attempt in 1970 to bring about a 10 million pound sugar harvest. "A precise and unclichéd view of the implications of revolution in South America" (Time Out).

Both were great to see.

Guy Maddins latest, Cowards Bend the Knee, was screened at the Tribeca Film Festival earlier this year and I thought it was awesome. Here's a brief encapsulation from imdb:

It's time for hockey! There's no telling what will happen when the Winnipeg Maroons' own star player Guy becomes embroiled in the twisted lives of Meta, a vengeful Chinoise, and her hairdresser/abortionist mother Liliom. Innocent Veronica, caught in the middle, is treated to both services! Meanwhile poor, dithering, cowardly Guy can only stand by and watch.

Maddin cracks me up.
P

sanjuro
03-20-2004, 11:03 AM
Recently watched DVDs iof Archangel and Twilight of the Ice Nymphs. Liked Archangel quite a bit (though the short Heart of the World is incredible). Ice Nymphs didn't grab me... I think it was the look of it.

The commentary tracks on the DVDs are funny though

I have high hopes for Saddest Music.