PDA

View Full Version : BOHEMIAN GOTHIC: a czech retrospective

Johann
10-25-2003, 12:59 PM
I'm spending the next few months at the Cinematheque and I'll be torturing readers with my comments on the Czechoslovakian horror and fantasy retrospective that put that country on the cinematic map.

What's showing? Get a load of this:

Little Otik
The Pit, The Pendulum and Hope
Down To The Cellar
The Fall of The House of Usher
Food
and
Castle of Otranto
by the living genius, Jan Svankmajer

also included:

The Pied Piper, The Last Theft, Who Killed Jesse?, Till Early Morning, The Ear, Valerie and Her Week of Wonders (I can't wait for this one!), The Raven, The Fifth Horseman is Fear, The Cremator, Morgiana, and Invisible (aka The Damned House of Hajn).

Milos Forman said Svankmajer is Disney + Bunuel. That means I'll be enthralled repeatedly at the greatest theatre this city lays claim to...

pmw
10-27-2003, 05:20 PM
This sounds awesome. Cant wait to read about it. Thanks!
P

Johann
10-27-2003, 05:46 PM
I'll be leaving for Paris in the first week of Dec. so I'll miss some of the European Union Festival, but I'll also post my thoughts on those films.

And in addition to Sunrise, there is a spaghetti western run: The Good, The Bad and The Ugly, A Fistfull of Dollars, A Fistfull of Dynamite and For a Few Dollars More.

G/B/U is the first ever integrated director's cut of the film from Italy. Eli and Clint were brought back into the studio to re-dub their parts to the "lost footage".

Very stoked...

Johann
11-01-2003, 12:05 PM
Before I start pontificating about the czech retro, I must enunciate
the fact that most of these films have rarely been seen.

So if anyone doesn't know or understand what the hell I'm talking about, I completely understand.

Johann
11-01-2003, 12:16 PM
1966 dir: V. Vorlicek

Who Killed Jessie?

I love comic books. Imagine my glee when I discovered "Who Killed Jessie". Warning: This film is bizarre.

The story is simple. Two scientists are in a dysfunctional marriage.
The domineering wife finds out that her husband has fantasies about a heroine in a comic book. One, Jessie. (She's kinda like Wonder Woman without the lasso or tiara).
The disgruntled wife gives her hubby a potion/serum that they've been experimenting with in dream studies.

All hell breaks loose.

Jessie (and her arch-villain enemies) spring to life! Complete with word balloons! Reading the word balloons becomes part of the fun of this widescreen black and white lunatic movie.

Jessie is hot- maybe even hotter than Jane Fonda's Barbarella (but that's up to you to decide). It's a mad 80 minute film and a true cult classic.(The scene with the muscle-bound villain getting a sponge bath is absolutely hilarious).

A must-see film, but it may be hard to find...

pmw
11-05-2003, 12:16 AM
Hmmm... skeptical. Can you really resist?! Also, would you not draw a distinct line between engaging dialogue and unread, rambling monologue? The former is an integral part of human existence and was a more important part of everyday life in the pre-modern (pre-internet, pre-blog) world. Is this not then just a modern manifestation?

In any case, you'll be sorely missed...or warmly welcomed back!
P

Johann
11-19-2003, 01:07 PM
1970 dir: J. Jires

Valerie and her Week of Wonders

I want to make it very clear: this film is absolutely breathtaking.

I had heard about "Valerie" and her week in question, but never had the chance to see it. It is not available on video in any format, and it is one of those holy grail-type of cult classics.

How can I describe it to you?

Well, Valerie is a nubile young woman on the verge of the onset of menses. She has an angelic face, hair from a vidal sassoon ad,
and she lives in a white room with billowing curtains.
She lives with her grandmother who is an aristocratic witch. She starts having visions, fantasies, experiences that defy description. She is confronted by ghouls in beautiful costumes- her priest looks like a vampire and wears an elaborate mask to hide his fangs and pasty face. He also wears a cloak and cape- similar to the ones seen in Eyes Wide Shut (did Kubrick see this movie?) and The Seventh Seal.

Mr. Jires needs to get some kind of distribution for this film. I don't know who he is, but he needs to have forces in his favor to get this film seen by the masses. I loved every minute of this serious art film. Forget cult film- this flick belongs in the pantheon of classics that originate from europe. I was awestruck with Valerie. She is so mesmerizing to look at! I felt I was leering at her in the scenes where she shows her breasts and buttocks...
The dream-like quality of the movie (soft tones, pastel colors) make it a true escape at the cinemas.

It will be very difficult to track down if someone wants to see this czech diamond. All I can hope is that the Criterion Collection will get permission in the future to release this incredible work of art.

oscar jubis
11-19-2003, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by Johann
1966 dir: V. Vorlicek
Who Killed Jessie? A must-see film, but it may be hard to find...

This film will be released on North American(NTSC) vhs next March by CZECH MOVIE HOUSE
http://www.homestead.com/czechmoviehouse
The best resource for Czech videos.

oscar jubis
11-19-2003, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by Johann
1970 dir: J. Jires
Valerie and her Week of Wonders
It will be very difficult to track down if someone wants to see this czech diamond.

I have been unable to find a copy of the 1994 UK video release.
There is only one film directed by Mr. Jires available on video (both vhs and dvd): THE JOKE (Zert), which Milan Kundera adapted from his novel.

Johann
11-20-2003, 12:15 PM
Thanks a million for the czech links. People like me need info like that!

The Joke is also a classic from what I've heard. "Valerie" is the first and only film of his I've seen. Simply gorgeous.
You will totally agree with me if you see it oscar. That film is one you can never forget. A cinematic dream.

As for Jessi, I'm glad it is going to be available in NTSC format. Again, a cult classic and one I want to buy. It's a cornerstone of the czech new-wave. Those movies need more publicity. I'm really happy Criterion put out Milos Forman's Loves of a Blonde & The Fireman's Ball (which was banned like most of these czech landmarks).
There's a whole world of czech cinema out there waiting to be discovered....
I haven't even commented on Jan Svankmajer......

oscar jubis
11-21-2003, 11:32 PM
I really enjoyed reading your post on Valerie and her Week of Wonders and will continue to look for a video copy. Luckily, Mr. Svankmajer's films are easily available. I've enjoyed about 6 of his films including Alice and Little Otik, which reminded me of Eraserhead, if I remember correctly.

One of my favorite places in the world is the Charles Bridge in Prague and drinking dark czech beer in a dimly lit pub. The Czech films I've enjoyed include: Closely Watched Trains, The Shop on Main Street, Daisies, Loves of a Blonde, Larks on a String, Divided We Fall, Lemonady Joe and Kolya.

Johann
11-22-2003, 12:33 PM
I'm almost at a loss in describing Svankmajer.

His creativity is more than just peculiar- it's an awesome peculiar.

Little Otik. Holy shit what a wierd movie.
A couple dig up a tree stump and it comes to life.
extremus uncomfortus...

Jan's The Fall of The House of Usher was a scare and a half. I was reminded of Polanski (Repulsion, The Fearless Vampire Killers)
Household items take over! bureaus, ice boxes, chairs- they all move about (in stop motion of course) to terrifying effect.

My favorite Svankmajer was Food. It's 3 vignettes about eating. (namely, eating everything in sight). In the first short, a guy in a restaurant not only eats his meal but his clothing, the cutlery, the plates, the tablecloth, the TABLE! Prettyt damn funny, actually.

You've listed some of the great czech films, oscar. Kolya was excellent. Closely Watched Trains is a masterpiece, and the recent Divided We Fall received all the recognition it deserved.

I'm jealous you had a stout in a Prague pub. (It must have been like a scene in a movie!)

Johann
03-28-2004, 06:15 AM
I just found out that Jaromil Jires' cult czech classic Valerie and her Week of Wonders has been released on vhs and DVD.
The release date was January 13, 2004, and it is an import.

Amazon is selling it for $35 Can. I'm buying mine today.
http://amazon.ca/exec/obidos/ASIN/B00013D48G/imdbca-20/702-3065963-3968066