PDA

View Full Version : 11'09''01 September 11

oscar jubis
11-24-2003, 02:19 AM
One whole year after being released in the rest of the world, Americans living in major markets (about 8 cities not including mine!) have the opportunity to watch 11'09''01 (aka September 11). A french producer invited 11 directors from 11 countries to make a short lasting 11 minutes 9 seconds and one image "around the events of September 11 and its consequences".

The directors were encouraged to "look towards their own cultures, their own memories, their own stories, their own language". The contributors include: Claude Lelouch from France, Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu from Mexico, Ken Loach from the UK, Amos Gitai from Israel, Samira Makhmalbaf from Iran, Mira Nair from India, Shohei Imamura from Japan, Sean Penn from the USA, Yousef Chahine from Egypt, Danis Tanovic from Bosnia, and Idrissa Ouedraogo from Burkina Faso.

I have been denied the opportunity to experience this film in a theater with an audience. I purchased the import dvd for home viewing. I learned something from just about every segment and retain images pregnant with emotion and meaning from most. The subject matter and variety of approaches and methodologies make it a film ripe for discussion. If anybody here has seen it or has an interest in learning more about it, please let me know.

Johann
12-12-2003, 12:34 PM
I'm making the trek to the Ridge theatre to see this omnimbus tomorrow night. I'll let you know what I think.

www.ridgetheatre.com