PDA

View Full Version : The Moose Hole - Review of The Haunted Mansion

MickeyMoose15
11-26-2003, 07:39 PM
Released November 26th, 2003

Director: Rob Minkoff

Starring: Eddie Murphy, Jennifer Tilly, Terence Stamp, Wallace Shawn, Don Knotts, Marsha Thomason

Premise: Frightfully funny Eddie Murphy leads an all-scare cast of ghosts and ghouls in Disney's spookiest comedy ever, "The Haunted Mansion." Workaholic real-estate agent Jim Evers (Murphy) drags his family up to the big, creepy Gracey mansion in hopes of rebuilding it into a lavish new condo development. When they get there, however, the family quickly finds that they're not alone... not when 999 grim, grinning ghosts come out to socialize! With all these happy haunts that won't leave until their unfinished business has been completed, it's up to Jim to break the curse -and rediscover a family that needs him - before the clock strikes 13.

“When the crypt doors creak and the tombstones quake, Spooks come out for a swinging wake, Happy Haunts materialize and begin to vocalize – Grim Grinning Ghosts come out to socialize”

Who would have thought that at this point the Walt Disney Company would be at a big crossroad with their adaptations of classic theme park attractions? When the family oriented studio announced the trio of ride based features, many were quick to call Disney executives crazy and desperate for story ideas. Most of the movie-going public would have agreed with them after the embarrassment that was The Country Bears in July 2002. Almost one year after that box office flop, Disney bounced back big with the surprise hit of the summer, Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl, which steamed rolled its way to $300 million domestically and possibly two sequels. With both a hit and a miss in their hands, Disney’s third and final theme park adaptation, The Haunted Mansion, could swing either way but the company executives would have it be a hit for sure ....

Click Here for the Full Review! (http://www.hostultra.com/~TheMooseHole/Haunted%20Mansion.htm)

cinemabon
12-11-2003, 12:06 AM
That's quite a web site you have there. I spent nearly an hour going through your links. You definitely have a great passion for film and a love of the medium. Your site has a dramatic/special effect flair as well (I liked the snow flakes!).

I would like your opinion sometime about how corporate sponsorship of a critic's outlet (like Buena Vista television owns certain programs that only speak favorably of its products) can influence a review.

oscar jubis
12-11-2003, 01:01 AM
Few reviewers are free of influence from studios/corporations. Those who fail to consistently praise a studio's releases are taken off lists, when time comes to dole out invitations to junkets, access to stars, freebies, sponsorship, etc.

MickeyMoose15 knows how to play the game, awarding at least Three and one Half stars to the following movies: Bad Boys 2, Men in Black II, Haunted Mansion, Sweet Home Alabama, American Wedding, Bruce Almighty, The Grinch, Scorpion King, Finding Forrester, and The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen.

Johann
12-11-2003, 12:20 PM
I just lost respect for MickeyMoose15.

How do you sleep at night?

pmw
12-11-2003, 12:42 PM
Originally posted by cinemabon
I would like your opinion sometime about how corporate sponsorship of a critic's outlet (like Buena Vista television owns certain programs that only speak favorably of its products) can influence a review.

hmm...doubt you'll hear back on that one...