PDA

View Full Version : The Matrix Revolutions

bix171
12-04-2003, 12:01 AM
Probably the best of the trilogy for the simple reason that it’s the easiest to follow: the Wachowski Brothers finally dispense with the philosophical claptrap that marred the first two pictures and rush-deliver a dumbed-down conclusion (love conquers all, believe it or not) in order to focus on two epic battles: one between humans and machines (a battle for the underground human city of Zion) and one between a human and computer program (Keanu Reeves’ Neo and Hugo Weaving’s Agent Smith). Or something like that. The two battles comprise essentially that last two-thirds of the movie, which means that it’s perfectly all right to sit back and not have to think, and the relief, you realize, allows you to enjoy it as a movie-movie. The special effects, while far from innovative (there seems to be a lot of cribbing from James Cameron’s “Aliens” and “Terminator 2: Judgment Day”), are diverting enough and the monumental martial arts fight between Reeves and Weaving is so long that you start to feel kind of giddy midway. These are emotions not often realized in the first two films; though there was plenty of awe at the effects, design and, initially, the concept, there never has been much joy in watching them. Here, while you realize that, overall, you’re not watching anything particularly joyous, at least you’re reasonably entertained. (Note: like its predecessor, this film was viewed in the IMAX format, which is proving to make a difference in fantasy and animation presentations; the clarity and depth of color is helping make this the preferred choice for these genres. Hopefully, the success of the format will convince studios that there is a market for oversized presentations of technically sophisticated films.)

Johann
12-07-2003, 04:12 PM
The Matrix Revolutions.

The brothers saved the best for last. I was in cinematic heaven during Revolutions. I'm so glad that I avoided the alien films, hated the new Star Wars films and walked out of Minority Report.

I know now that my mind was waiting for the Matrix sequels.

I wish I saw it in IMAX, tho. You're one lucky bastard, Bix ;)

The battle for Zion. What an achievement. This was the true "Rise of the Machines". Eat your heart out, governor. Glorious special effects and sound design. If AMPAS had it's druthers, it would take serious note of the special effects. They are a new benchmark for action films. The silence of the W. Bros. (they don't do interviews) adds a huge mystery factor that is so important in cinema. (Kubrick's name will pop up in my posts more than any other director, so watch out). These young mavericks are to todays film world what Spielberg was when he made Jaws back in the day.

Halelujah!

There are two guys who give a shit about the future of action fims.
Andy and Larry.
Two guys who like Air Jordan sneakers and video games. Proof positive that being a geek can be productive.
Thanks guys, take a break. The true "Holy Trilogy" has been struck. I wonder if Kevin Smith still worships the Star Wars Saga...

Garbanzo
12-11-2003, 05:45 PM
Good god, Revolutions sucked. I cannot disagree with you more. The Wachowski brothers drove one of the best movies of all time into the ground. What could have been by itself one of the greatest movies of our generation, The Matrix lost all it had going for it when the sequels were released. Why sequels were produced for such a movie is beyond me, but they could have at least been good.

There is no doubt that the special effects were beyond wonderfully done, but after being stripped of the philosphies that made the original so important, the sequels have nothing going for it except eye-candy.

Corny dialogue, cliche hollywood moments, and worst of all, the removal of the philosophies that made the Matrix so revolutionary, are some prime reasons why these sequels sucked.

Some things are meant to never be revealed. How the Matrix is resolved should have been one of them.

Johann
12-13-2003, 01:37 PM
First of all, you don't know your Matrix history if you say something like "why sequels were produced for such a movie is beyond me".

The sequels were produced because The Matrix was written as a trilogy- long before they even shot one scene from the first film.

"drove one of the best movies of all time into the ground"?
You gotta be shitting me.
The sequels are better than the first film. Light years better.
(but I love 'em all)

The brothers went tribal, primal. They made the most industrial action films ever. They expanded their special effects pallette, delivering pure, sinuous entertainment.

What the hell did you expect? This is a question I want an answer to, dammit. And I don't wanna hear "I wanted the Matrix to be explained".
So many Matrix fans don't know what the fuck they're talking about. It is a grand superimposition of the "one true faith" moniker that fundamentalist christians shove down the worlds' throat. A superimposition onto a huge, sprawling, special effects grid, that has no special meaning.

That's all these fucking movies are. What do you want? I didn't even make the films, and I have contempt for the fans!

It is kick-ass entertainment. Great action films. No more, no less.
People should be happy with that, but NO, they gotta piss and moan about how the movies sucked.

Do me a favor, Garbanzo.
When you learn a little more about the movies, reply to my rant.

Garbanzo
12-13-2003, 02:11 PM
Originally posted by Johann
And I don't wanna hear "I wanted the Matrix to be explained".

I agree, the Matrix should never have been expained. That is why the sequels are abysmal. They tried to explain what never should have been explained. like the oracle, for example. It is better that we do not know what she is. And the architect? WTF? not as bad as the merovingian, however, some idiot who is thrown into the movie, makes a big speech, then exits, stage right, never to be seen again. And then we see Zion. This was a big mistake. Zion should have been kept that mysterious civilization below the earth's surface. It was wholly unnessecary to explore that.

The Matrix should never have been resolved.
Well, thats my opinion at least. And I may not know as much about movies as you, but at least I am not blinded from the true shittiness of the Matrix sequels by special effects.

P.S. Dont tell me that I do know enough about movies to criticize them, if your only defense for your precious Matrix Sequels is that they are "action movies, no more, no less." The Matrix has always been above just an action movie, unfortunately the others are not, and that is why the suck.

Ixtlitlxochitl
12-13-2003, 02:51 PM
I agree with Garbanzo. I loved the first Matrix because it combined oustanding martial arts, special effects, and action with an intricate, sophisticated philisophical setting. The second two, however, were basically your typical hollywood action/war flick. One of the great things about the Matrix was you didnt know what it was, you didnt know who the Oracle was, there were loopholes, there were flaws, and it was INTERESTING. There is nothing interesting, to me at least, about actually finding out what everything was. The Oracle for example: a rejected program or whatever? I liked her better as the mysterious woman who seemed to know all... and most of the characters in the second two movies seemed to be thrown in just for the sake of it, like the "twins" and the "merovingian" and whatnot.
The second two movies (especially the last one) was nothing more than your typical high-budget action war flick. It has your classic "young boy who isnt allowed to go to war but does it anyways to please the audience, and of course ends up saving the day," your "Commander who holds som useless secret," your "two best friends that help save the day, but one of them has to die," and of course all your incredibly stupid one liners.

In short, the first Matrix was interesting and artistic, along with being highly entertaining. Martial arts I guess is MUCH more entertaining to me then guns being fired over and over at a hole in the ceiling.

I respect everyone's opinion on the matter. The second matrix movies are the kind you either love or hate in comparason to the first matrix movie, and I can see how people have differing opinions. I happen to hate the second two, but I still love everyone who likes them.

Johann
12-14-2003, 03:14 PM
I've said all I want to about The Matrix films.

Your replies lack weight. When I said "learn about the movies" I meant the Matrix movies.

I won't be able to convince you guys of how woefully out of touch you are, so I'll just shut up.

Garbanzo
12-14-2003, 03:24 PM
Removed by Poster.

Garbanzo
12-14-2003, 03:27 PM
gaah i didnt come here to make enemies. I apologize for my previous statement

i am going to just stop posting on this thread altogether, I dont wish for enemies. I respect your views Johann, I dont mean to insult.

Johann
12-14-2003, 03:29 PM
Again, I have said all I want to say about the Matrix films.

History will prove me correct.

HorseradishTree
12-14-2003, 03:33 PM
Through all this, I've made an executive decision: I'm tired of the Matrix.

After a few weeks, I've come to the conclusion that now I don't really like ANY of the films. They're all empty shells of action with a sad attempt at substance. Another thing that bugged me into this decision was how it invaded everything in a rush. Enter the Matrix, the Animatrix, and both films all in one year. It's just too much.

If I want to see some really well made sci fi action flicks involving the theme of fate, or lack of, I'll watch the Terminator series. I think those are much better developed.

Ixtlitlxochitl
12-14-2003, 06:32 PM
BELEATED