PDA

View Full Version : On the same boat (Liliana Cavani's 'The NIght Porter')

renant
12-12-2003, 01:31 AM
While I was watching 'The Night Porter'(1974), the question of what makes for an "extreme" film, of what constitutes "sleaziness" in a film, once again came to my mind. For Liliana Cavani's film isn't really as "sleazy" as most people repute it to be. Is there really a sensationalizing of the decadent and tormented relationship between the victim and the aggresor? Have the horrors of Nazism been recklessly trivialized? Is 'The Night Porter' another stinking trash in a self-important disguise?

I don't think so(and I hope that doesn't put me in the league of the "students of the sleazy", does it, Mr. Maltin?).

Helped immensely by Dirk Bogarde's(as the former Gestapo doctor Max;the mood of his role here is similar to that of his role in Visconti's 'Death in Venice')and Charlotte Rampling's(as the former concentration camp sex slave Lucia)understated performances(watching them evoking through their faces, without a single word, their inner demons is enough reason to sit through the entire film), the film is in fact a careful probing of two dark souls trapped within their horrible past--what links them can't be completely cut off for they're merely occupying the far ends of the same boat.

If ever there's a graphic demonstration of the sadomasochistic relationship of Max and Lucia(and to say "graphic" is even to overstate the matter), it's because that's what's INSTIGATED by their re-encounter in a Vienna hotel, years after their grim camp experience, when each one thought that he/she had already moved on. That they "relived" what transpired in the Nazi camp(this time around, in a more "intimate" apartment)is a tragic proof that the past won't readily leave them behind, that, whether they like it or not, they'll always be tied to it(this should already be discernible in those instances where Max's and Lucia's present decadent trysts are intercut with their ritualistic sessions in the camp). Rather than the acts themselves, what should actually qualify as a "shocker"(again, this is an overstatement)is the fact that the "rituals" would unthinkably evolve into--or, perhaps aptly, are throughout motivated by--a perverse affection, wherein Lucia will always be the "little girl" to her "guardian" Max.

If a film like 'The Night Porter', that aims to disquiet in as understated a manner as possible, is to be regarded as "sleazy", then what else could NOT qualify as one? 'In the Realm of the Senses'? 'Sweet Movie'? 'Caligula'? Why make a fiery blaze out of a tiny spark?

Anyway, allow me to raise the torch further:this is only the 2nd Liliana Cavani film that I've seen(the other one is the saint biography 'Francesco', featuring Mickey Rourke and Helena Bonham Carter)but I observe that she's also adept at handling character studies. It isn't "sleazy", is it?

:)

oscar jubis
12-12-2003, 01:08 PM
The performances from Bogarde and Rampling are the only reason to watch The Night Porter. Ms. Cavani is to be praised only to the extent to which she facilitated such performances. She is a rather pedestrian director, not one with a unique signature as a visual artist.
As a character, there is no doubt that Lucia would be affected by her past experiences. What seems quite unlikely, dare I say incredible, given what's known about trauma survivors and Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder, is her re-enactment of the relationship she was forced into, 15 years earlier. Call it Cavani's psychological fantasy in the service of titillation. What you call "probing" is actually rather shallow. It's the acting that kicks it up a notch.

renant
12-12-2003, 08:57 PM
Hi, Oscar!

You may already know this, but I learned that 'The Night Porter' was, in part, based on Liliana Cavani's interview with a camp survivor who had basically undergone the same experience as the character of Lucia. So it may be that the director's portrayal of the victim's "re-enactment" of her traumatic camp experience wasn't a "psychological fantasy in the service of titillation" after all.

I must humbly admit, though, that what I know about trauma survivors I learned largely from books(the works of Sigmund Freud, Karl Menninger and Bruno Bettelheim), as Psychology/Psychoanalysis isn't really my line of work. But, perhaps, I may suppose that the disintegrative track of Lucia's character(that is, the "revival" of her sadomasochistic relationship with Max)isn't an unlikely occurence, given the "unfathomability" of the mental reality of human life. As I pointed out in my last post, it isn't really the "acts" themselves but their "nature" that's the most unsettling--that is, that ultimately, Max's and Lucia's relationship is motivated by a "different" kind of love, something that is gratifying as it is destructive.

Could it be that the "re-enactment" is the victim's and the aggresor's way of "making up for lost time"?

I hope we can talk about more films in the future, be they controversial or not.

oscar jubis
12-12-2003, 11:09 PM
Originally posted by renant
Hi, Oscar!
Hi, renant. Welcome. Hope you visit often.

'The Night Porter' was, in part, based on Liliana Cavani's interview with a camp survivor who had basically undergone the same experience as the character of Lucia. So it may be that the director's portrayal of the victim's "re-enactment" of her traumatic camp experience wasn't a "psychological fantasy in the service of titillation" after all.

Ms. Cavani 's research for her first film, a 1965 doc about the Resistance called Primo Piano, included an interview with a female survivor who gave vague information about a sexual relationship she had with a nazi during the war. Perish the thought that the "re-enactment" actually happened, outside of the director's mind. Ms. Cavani was interviewed by author Mira Liehm for her book "Passion and Defiance:Film in Italy from 1942 to the Present"(U. of California Press). Among other things, Cavani states: She could not forgive the nazis for making her aware of people's capacity for evil. But she gave no details.

the "unfathomability" of the mental reality of human life.

I don't know what you mean.

I hope we can talk about more films in the future, be they controversial or not.

I hope so too. Please add a list of favorite films to your profile.

renant
12-14-2003, 01:32 AM
Oscar, my apologies if what I wrote about the "unfathomability of the mental reality of human life" sounded a bit alienating to you. What I meant about it was simply that, on its own, man's mental life is an altogether mysterious world, where EVERYTHING is bound to happen, whether progressive or disintegrative for man's existence in general. And that includes the retrogressive character of Max 's and Lucia's relationship in 'The Night Porter'. After all, that's WHAT the film really is about, instead of Liliana Cavani having her film focused on the Nazi atrocities against the Jews in general or in a grand manner(as what Steven Spielberg did in 'Schindler's List').

Anyway, I have my personal list of 10 Best Foreign-Language Films of All-Time and here are the first 5(but not necessarily in that order):

'8 1/2' by Federico Fellini(Italy)

'Kagemusha' by Akira Kurosawa(Japan)

'Seven Samurai' by Kurosawa(Japan)

'A Clockwork Orange' by Stanley Kubrick(Great Britain)

'The Sacrifice' by Andrei Tarkovskij(Russia)