PDA

View Full Version : The fine art of speculation

Raoul
01-02-2004, 01:06 AM
Things are always just a little more interesting when there are stakes.
This is the age of technology and in this era of electron synthesized reality, a degenerate gambler like myself can lay bets on virtually anything, anytime. If you can’t find a line on something, anything, drop an email to one of the betting sites. They’ll be happy to take your money.

The following are the odds that Bet 365 has posted for The Best Picture Oscar:

The Lord Of The Rings Return Of The King 4/11
Cold Mountain 11/4
Big Fish 6/1
Mystic River 7/1
The Human Stain 12/1
Lost In Translation 18/1
Master And Commander 18/1
Seabiscuit 18/1
The Last Samurai 22/1
The House Of Sand And Fog 28/1
21 Grams 28/1
The Alamo 50/1
The Missing 50/1
Finding Nemo 50/1
Mona Lisa Smile 66/1
Kill Bill Volume 1 80/1
Others On Request

LOTR is the obvious favourite: The academy loves the epic and The Last Samurai is simply too much of a joke. I haven’t seen Big Fish but I did notice that the Theatrical Poster hasn’t got any fish on it. I happen to know that Johan likes Master and Commander for some kind of recognition, possibly best picture, and I would tend to agree, although I’ve yet to see the film. But, hey, we’re gambling on the Oscars here. It’s not about the merits of the film, it’s about the favour it’s curried in Hollywood. At Eighteen to one, I think that Lost In Translation is a pretty good long shot.
Remember, these odds are to win outright, not the nomination.

Raoul

Johann
01-02-2004, 12:22 PM
Yeah, I loved Master and Commander. It's worthy of Best Picture, but it won't win. Paul Bettany deserves a Best Sup. Actor nom.

Return of the King is the front-runner and deserves it. I gave the oscars a lot of thought over the holidays and as Oscar Jubis has mentioned, Jackson should be awarded for his amazing achievement. The Lord of the Rings films could have been terrible.
Jackson did the near-impossible. He adapted the books with skill and *dare I say it* artistic merit. Believe me, no one wanted to see Peter fall harder than me. I hate hype, and I hate fantasy books. I was happy to be wrong. LOTR is not my kind of story (wizards, hobbits, orcs, etc.) but even I have to admit that this series is awesome. Give Jackson some time on stage. The man earned it. He's not even taking a break! He's plunging right into a remake of KING KONG. God bless ya, Pete.

Tarantino is 2003's Man of the Year for me. He came roaring back with some badass celluloid. No one will give him any recognition because they're jealous. Kubrick suffered from that same indifference. Have no fear, Quentin! I see a D.W. Griffith award on the horizon! Give the DGA about 15 years and then they'll wake up. If Kill Bill gets any oscar nods in categories other than technical, I'll eat some serious crow.