PDA

View Full Version : Russian Ark

bix171
01-04-2004, 02:08 AM
Though you can’t help but admire the ambition and precision of a film consisting of one uncut tracking shot through the Hermitage of St. Petersburg and featuring hundreds of extras each owning their own synchronized moment, a more-than-passing knowledge of pre-Bolshevik Russian history is probably desirable to more easily follow Aleksandr Sokurov’s paean to an institution that embodies Russia’s long-lost past. Without that knowledge, “Russian Ark” can have something of a soporific effect, dwelling as it does on individual artworks and engaging in long, ambiguous conversations between an unseen narrator (the director himself) and a contentious nineteenth-century European intellectual (Sergei Dontsov). Fortunately, Sokurov has the good sense to portray his vision as either a dream or coma-induced hallucination (the film begins with the narrator suggesting having been part of a shared cataclysmic accident with echoes of nuclear devastation—possibly Chernobyl?) which allows everyone to be included in the opportunity to experience the overwhelmingly in-depth journey into a Russia that most modern viewers have ceased to recognize and which the director clearly pines for. The conclusion is itself undeniably moving: a beautiful ball that ushers out the era of royalty (spanning the reigns of Peter the Great and Catherine the Great through Czar Nicholas) that Sokurov displays such deep melancholy affection for. The Steadicam cinematography is by Tilman Buttner (he also shot Tom Tykwer’s “Lola rennt”) and it’s astounding as it painstakingly details a landmark so abundant with art and a haunted history that it seems almost ethereal.

Johann
01-05-2004, 01:07 PM
Yep, knowledge of pre-Bolshevik russian history is a big help in understanding/enjoying Russian Ark.
(A little art history knowledge wouldn't hurt either)

Even still, this film should elicit applause from film buffs. That tracking shot alone seals Russian Ark's fate as a landmark.

To coordinate it all is an almost inconceivable feat. So many things can fuck up with a technique like this. That's why it is astounding. Sokurov is now in the elite class of film directors if you ask me. This film is one of the greatest achievements in the medium.

I'd better shut up before someone tells me to.

I can't praise this film enough.
Sokurov!
I beg you!
Make a Napoleon film!

oscar jubis
01-16-2004, 01:37 AM
The best movie of 2003 is a time travel mind-fuck inside L'Hermitage Museum in Saint Petersburg, visualized as a giant ark containing 300 years of Russian history and European art. Sokurov somehow manages to make the death of a monarchic, ruling class extremely moving. Russian Ark ravishes the eye, engages the mind and breaks your heart in a single breath lasting 89 minutes.
The dvd's making-of feature(40 mins) provides enough historical and production information to enhance the experience.

Johann
01-16-2004, 03:39 PM
They should put your little description on the DVD sleeve.

The best part is the end with the mass movement of people and finishing up with a gorgeous outdoor shot.

This film is a monumental poetic dream. Very few directors are capable of art on this scale. (Tarkovsky)

oscar jubis
01-16-2004, 11:47 PM
Cinema is alive and well, dear friends. Sokurov is one of current directors moving us forward with his original vision. I am just as excited about the new movies as I was in the 70s when I was falling in love with cinema. Hopefully the films of today's masters will get the wide distribution they deserve, rather than only festival screenings and limited release in a few big markets. I'm still upset at being deprived of Kiarostami's 10, demonlover, and other films that did not play here. Will Sokurov's new Father and Son get a proper release?

Johann
01-17-2004, 05:29 PM
Kiarostami's TEN didn't play in Miami?
That's a film I have a hunch you'll really appreciate oscar. I look forward to your comments on it.

Demonlover I haven't seen either. It looks incredible.

So Sokurov is unveiling another work, eh? I can't wait.

oscar jubis
01-17-2004, 07:33 PM
No, 10 didn't play here. Zeitgeist Films owns the distribution rights of 10 and two other films we'd both enjoy: IN THE MIRROR OF MAYA DEREN and Guy Maddin's DRACULA: PAGES FROM A VIRGIN'S DIARY. So far not a trace at local screens.

Johann
01-17-2004, 07:39 PM
Dracula is playing @ the Cinematheque in two weeks.

why don't major studios pick up great indie films for distribution?
My guess is money.

GREED is the legacy of the human race....

pmw
01-18-2004, 01:13 PM
Just thought that I'd add that Russian Ark is considered 2002 by awards voting criteria. An awesome film but one that wont be in the FilmWurld voting this week.
P