PDA

View Full Version : School of Rock

Johann
01-14-2004, 08:22 PM
Jack Black and I would get along swimmingly.
He nailed what rock and roll is all about in School of Rock.
I was laughing so hard at one point (the scene where he says "raise your goblet of rock") that I almost had to leave the theatre for fear of disturbing others.

Man, Linklater is great. Waking Life was one of my favorite films of 2001 and School of Rock is now my fave film of his.

Jack Black is the star here, make no bones about it. He is let loose in this movie. Finally the studio heads let a guy do what he wants-congrats Paramount, you have a classic on your hands.

The kids are sharp and actually cool- they were teetering on the edge of annoying and pretention for a while, but Linklater reined them in to counteract Black's outrageousness. The movie is a perfect comedy. It may be my favorite comedy.

People who don't know shit about rock and roll should watch School. They will learn something like the students did: Rock and Roll is all about sticking it to the man.
When Jack teaches the chinese kid the Doors on keyboards I was levitating in my seat.

What fear lurks in the hearts of men?
Jack Black knows....

Johann
01-15-2004, 03:16 PM
Some lines in School of Rock bear repeating.

Jack: "Yes. That's the name of the band. Check out the keyboard solo on "Roundabout". It will blow the classical music out your butt".

Summer: "Groupie?! You want me to be a groupie?! I researched groupies on the internet- they're sluts! They sleep with the band".
Jack: "No, they're like cheerleaders!"

Jack: "The next thing I wanna hear is a face-melting solo by our own Zack Mooneyham-GO!"
*kid plays solo*
Jack: "Is my face OK?!?! I think you melted it off!!!!"

Jack: "The children are terminal. They have stick-it-to-the-mon-iosis".

Chris Knipp
03-23-2004, 07:17 PM
I rewatched this movie on DVD two days ago. It confirmed my impression that I love it. I regret that I never wrote a review of it, but I didn't know what to say except that it is fun and I had a good time. Maybe I'll write a review of the DVD, since it just recently came out.

Johann
03-23-2004, 11:46 PM
Please do write a DVD review Chris. I would appreciate it.

Haven't bought it yet, but you can bet your bibby I will. Anyone who doesn't think Black is funny here needs somes serious psychiatric help. He is fucking HILARIOUS in School.

Have you been to the official website? It has a video of Jack and the kids that is just as funny as anything in the film.

I LOVE this movie.