PDA

View Full Version : TV Movies

Johann
02-05-2004, 04:53 PM
Here's a subject that everyone should have an opinion on: those notorious TV movies.

The general consensus is that TV movies are bad-
"Archie: To Riverdale and Back" anyone? but I liked Stephen King's The Stand (or is it considered a mini-series?), The Bates Motel, The Burning Bed, Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me and the recent Dune.

Anyone see any good TV movies? If so, I certainly would appreciate some direction in finding a gem or two...

anduril
02-05-2004, 08:58 PM
Some of my favourites are Joan of Arc (much better than Bresson's The Messenger), Attila the Hun, Jesus of Nazareth, Jesus: The Epic Mini-Series, The Bible Collection, and Peter and Paul (a BBC production starring Anthony Hopkins). Of course, you may have seen all of these already, J.

I'm actually usually quite impressed with what TV Movies accomplish; they are never quite as polished or nearly as impressive as their silver screen counterparts but it is quite amazing sometimes to see what can be accomplished on relatively meagre budgets.

Cowman
02-05-2004, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by Johann
Here's a subject that everyone should have an opinion on: those notorious TV movies.

The general consensus is that TV movies are bad-
"Archie: To Riverdale and Back" anyone? but I liked Stephen King's The Stand (or is it considered a mini-series?), The Bates Motel, The Burning Bed, Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me and the recent Dune.

Anyone see any good TV movies? If so, I certainly would appreciate some direction in finding a gem or two...

Actually, Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me was a theatrical release. Well, at least it was here in the US anyhow... And speaking of The Bates Motel--I've been really wanting to see this one, but have been unable to find anyone with a copy. No stores that I've checked seem to have it, and neither do my tape-trading buddies. Anybody know where I can see this movie?

As far as contributing any GOOD made-for-TV movies, I'm afraid I can't be of help here...I lost what little faith I had in TV movies after I watched one last night called Accidental Meeting. Great plot, although obviously ripped from Strangers on a Train, but an awful, awful movie...Uggh. Although I gotta say, since were on the topic of Psycho-related movies, that I liked Psycho IV: The Beginning (made for HBO or ShowTime I think) a lot more than I thought I would have... *hides*

Johann
02-05-2004, 09:20 PM
You're in the same boat as me, Cowman. I saw The Bates Motel back in the 80's when it came out and I haven't forgotten it. I taped it on VHS and it has long since gotten lost in the shuffle.
Too bad, it scared the bejesus out of me.

I saw Attila with you Ken, as well as Jesus: TEM, I believe. Very high quality TV. Thanks for jogging my memory.

anduril
02-05-2004, 09:31 PM
I should also add that I've seen some episodes of shows like Alias and Star Trek: TNG that rival similar silver-screen fare. Heck, Tarantino directed a great two-part episode of Alias.

Johann
02-05-2004, 09:44 PM
Don't forget QT's stab at ER!

anduril
02-05-2004, 09:50 PM
GP... actually ER has had a couple truly great episodes... The more I think about it... while TV Movies aren't always the best some TV Shows have been golden!! Just think about some of the stuff HBO has put out lately, most notably The Sopranos, or even some TV Classics like M.A.S.H., which has to be recognized as one of the most brilliant pieces of satire, comedy, drama, and even action ever produced.

From Star Trek: TNG, Patrick Stewart has some absolutely stellar performances; I'm thinking especially of Inner Light, an episode where he lives a lifetime, and his two-part episode as a Cardassian P.O.W. Both episodes are powerful acting... nothing to sneeze at in my opinion.

As far as TV Movies go, I heard "Nuremberg," starring Alec Baldwin was quite good. I never got to see it, though.

Johann
02-05-2004, 09:55 PM
This may be hard to believe, but I've never seen a full episode of Star Trek: TNG. I've seen all of the movies, tho. And I've never seen an episode of The X-Files, either (but I saw the movie!).
Patrick Stewart is probably the only reason I would watch the show. His talent seemed wasted surrounded by "OK" actors. LeVar Burton?!

anduril
02-05-2004, 10:00 PM
It's true... Levar Burton and others aren't the greatest and you have to like Sci-Fi to enjoy Star Trek. But, if you do see any Star Trek: TNG episode in your lifetime, make it Inner Light. Stunning... really, truly stunning. In the space of 45 minutes, Stewart has you convinced that he has lived a lifetime with all its ups and downs. The show literally had me choked up... TV does not usually choke me up.

Ken.

oscar jubis
02-05-2004, 10:18 PM
Thanks for the thread J. I'd like to push a few movies made-for-tv that I consider absolute must-sees. I've mentioned some of this great "lost" movies from the past 10 years in previous posts. These ones are worth seeking out on home video.

From Canadian television: THE BOYS OF SAINT VINCENT
A hilarious political satire: Joe Dante's THE SECOND CIVIL WAR
Mike Nichols' WIT
Charles Burnett's uplifting and clever slavery drama NIGHTJOHN
and his THE BLUES: WARMING UP BY THE DEVIL'S FIRE, a heady mix of fiction and documentary.
Ken Burns' THE CIVIL WAR
PARADISE LOST:THE CHILD MURDERS ARE ROBIN HOOD HILLS
PARADISE LOST 2: REVELATIONS

Cowman
02-06-2004, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by Cowman

Actually, Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me was a theatrical release. Well, at least it was here in the US anyhow... And speaking of The Bates Motel--I've been really wanting to see this one, but have been unable to find anyone with a copy. No stores that I've checked seem to have it, and neither do my tape-trading buddies. Anybody know where I can see this movie?

As far as contributing any GOOD made-for-TV movies, I'm afraid I can't be of help here...I lost what little faith I had in TV movies after I watched one last night called Accidental Meeting. Great plot, although obviously ripped from Strangers on a Train, but an awful, awful movie...Uggh. Although I gotta say, since were on the topic of Psycho-related movies, that I liked Psycho IV: The Beginning (made for HBO or ShowTime I think) a lot more than I thought I would have... *hides*

Unfortunately, I didn't even get to see it :( ... Was it really that scary? Aww man, now I *really* wanna see it!

I'm going to devote all my energy to hunting this movie down now... I'll let you know if I find a copy. :)

Johann
02-06-2004, 02:36 AM
Well, I was about 11 or 12 at the time, so it may not be so scary now.
I remember it had Christine-something-or-other from "Head of the Class" in it. (Remember that show with Howard Hesseman?)

I hadn't seen Psycho, so that might have contributed to my fear..

LATE EDIT: I checked it out on the imdb and apparently the Sci-Fi Channel aired it last year. And most reviews say it's a waste of time for Psycho fans.

SO! I'm saying it was a great TV movie based on my 18 year-old memories....

tabuno
02-06-2004, 11:12 PM
I wish I could remember all of the great television movies. Television has the advantage of being able to produce miniseries and longer length productions than almost any full-length feature film. Made for tv movies can easily extend to three hours with many being four, five, or six hours in length. One of the most memorable PBS productions was "Dracula" starring Louis Jourdan in a three-part, three-hour production of what I consider to be the BEST dracula movie, replicating the Bram Stoker novel with a crisp, realistic, serious adaptation. The Children of Dune series was also excellent and rivaled any sci fi feature film.

HorseradishTree
02-07-2004, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by Johann

Patrick Stewart is probably the only reason I would watch the show. His talent seemed wasted surrounded by "OK" actors. LeVar Burton?!

Ok, this is where I have to step in. First off, LeVar Burton isn't that bad. Perhaps I'm just saying this to defend one of my childhood heroes (i.e. "Reading Rainbow"), but that's not the point.

And what about Brent Spiner? I think he's one of the most underrated actors in the industry. Data is a character that anyone can identify with, yet still sees him as an outsider.

anduril
02-07-2004, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by HorseradishTree
And what about Brent Spiner?

And Colm Meaney?

Johann
02-07-2004, 11:26 PM
Brent Spiner is fine as Data. But have you seen his other film work? The dude can't act. Watch "Independence Day" or "Out To Sea". He's no "star".

It's sad when you can only shine as a pasty-faced android...

oscar jubis
02-09-2004, 12:30 AM
We can't forget Trier's The Kingdom, which was made for tv.

anduril
02-09-2004, 12:34 AM
Oh do I feel like a nob for not thinking of that... being a Lars fan and all...

Johann
02-09-2004, 12:45 AM
Yeah, Trier's "ER on Acid" is incredible TV. It shouldn't really count.
Like Twin Peaks and The Sopranos it's more like a long-running movie. Brilliant.

Lars is already a legend if you ask me. Him and Vinterberg. The danish dogme duo have made a crater-like impact on the medium.