PDA

View Full Version : Tulse Luper Suitcases

anduril
02-08-2004, 10:40 PM
Maybe it's just that I haven't searched around enough on the forums but I don't see much discussion on the Tulse Luper Suitcases. Most surprisingly, I haven't seen any discussion of Tulse Luper in threads about the Best of 2003. Why?

I personally haven't had a chance to watch these episodes yet but I hear Greenaway thinks of them as his magnum opus.

Thoughts anyone.... (Johann, I expect you'll be first!! :-)

Johann
02-08-2004, 11:55 PM
I took the bait.

Tulse Luper is Greenaway's alter-ego, and the "Suitcases" trilogy is finished, but distribution is the main problem.

Part 1 was shown at Cannes and Gavin Smith of Film Comment gave it a good review. It's a trilogy that I am highly anticipating. Greenaway cast Madonna in a part because she begged him for months. He should have turned her down.
Skank don't belong in art films.

anduril
02-09-2004, 12:00 AM
So, they haven't been seen yet apart from Cannes and other such limited screenings?

I hadn't heard much and just assumed they had made their way through the normal processes...

Johann
02-09-2004, 12:26 AM
The trilogy stars JJ Feild as Tulse Luper, who I assume got the part because Greenaway saw him in The Life and Adventures of Nicholas Nickleby on the BBC.
His other claim to fame is a role in K-19: The Widowmaker.

The trilogy also boasts Blondie's Debbie Harry, Isabella Rossellini and Franka Potente from Run Lola Run.

I'm guessing it'll be a while before we see the trilogy in North America. (And that'll probably be on home video...)

anduril
02-09-2004, 12:32 AM
Y'know I find it interesting that some "mainstream" actors have actually starred in Greenaway films; it's kinda of surprising given the content of his films. I'm particularly surprised that Julia Ormond is in Baby of Macon... pretty rough part for such a fine lady to play.

Johann
02-09-2004, 12:38 AM
Have you seen The baby of Macon? Julia is nude for 90% of the film and the rape scene is right up there with the rape scenes in Stone's Heaven & Earth and Irreversible. She is horrifyingly convincing as a rape victim in Macon. Ralph Fiennes is also completely nude- hey ladies! Spider in the buff!

Tim Roth, Helen Mirren, Amanda Plummer, Brian Dennehy, Sir John Gielgud- all familiar actors who appeared in Greenaway films.

anduril
02-14-2004, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by Johann
Have you seen The baby of Macon? Julia is nude for 90% of the film

Got so caught up in "Art and Audience," I forgot you asked me a question here... yes, yes I have. It was a very bad print, though. And, she's not nude for anywhere near 90% of the movie... she's only really nude in her love/goring scene with Ralph Fiennes. She's not even really seen nude in the rape scene until after they throw her off the bed. But, still a very rough part just the same.

Johann
02-14-2004, 01:45 AM
Shhhh! I said 90% to get people to rent it!

You always gotta go exposing my motives....

anduril
02-14-2004, 01:51 AM
Originally posted by Johann
Shhhh! I said 90% to get people to rent it!

You always gotta go exposing my motives....

Ahhhh... I see your tactic... appeal to the baser instincts and hope the Britney Spears crowd actually rents Baby of Macon...

Personally, it originally drew my interest because of its religious themes...