PDA

View Full Version : Pirates Of The Caribbean: The Curse Of The Black Pearl

bix171
02-11-2004, 10:09 PM
Johnny Depp’s withering pirate parody is probably the only reason to watch this swashbuckler update, but he’s been better elsewhere and his performance is typical of the film’s major problem, namely the slurred, mumbling accents that most of the cast has adopted. It makes for difficult viewing: the needlessly complicated plot is hampered by an inability to understand much of what is going on (although the basic outline is elemental to anyone who’s ever seen a film of the genre); you have to strain to hear explanations for the more mystical aspects of the story. It’s a very generic piece of work; the director, Gore Verbinski, doesn’t seem to have the ability to create any real tension or action sequences that arouse much excitement and consistently allows the set pieces to be interrupted by long stretches of exposition (thanks to a wordy script by Ted Elliott and Terry Rossio that could have used a few decent jokes). Verbinski chooses to keep the focus on Depp and while Depp is always welcome whenever he’s onscreen, he has trouble connecting with the rest of the cast, which, though it includes the incredibly hammy Geoffrey Rush, has nowhere near the acting bravura he has. The remainder of the cast includes Orlando Bloom (who fails to impress after “The Lord Of The Rings”), Jonathan Pryce and Keira Knightley.

anduril
02-12-2004, 05:32 PM
Pirates may not be "great" film in the sense of something that will endure but it is a fantastic Hollywood product.

I'm also flabbergasted by your complaints... the plot is very straightforward. What in the world did you find complicated?

You say you have to "strain to hear explanations" ... are you hard of hearing?

I find the movie does have decent jokes throughout... I laughed many times.

I also thought the cast made an excellent ensemble... I love Orlando Bloom's short intimation of Depp midway through the movie... very well done in my opinion... moreover, I find Bloom has more of an opportunity in this movie to show his chops then in LOTR where he just does not get the kind of screen time that Legolas deserves.

Knightley is fun to watch. Geoffrey Rush is great as usual.

oscar jubis
02-12-2004, 08:01 PM
Yet another bloated production from Jerry B.
Depp got me into the theatre and made it worth my time and money for a Bruckheimer-production record of about 90 minutes. The movie goes on for an extra 50.

anduril
02-12-2004, 09:49 PM
I have to dissent, oscar... I liked Pirates... it was a fun ride with some above average acting and even, at some points, writing... I particularly enjoyed the end, which was somewhat atypical for these types of movies.

bix171
02-12-2004, 10:57 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by anduril

{I'm also flabbergasted by your complaints... the plot is very straightforward. What in the world did you find complicated?}

I couldn't figure out for the life of me when the pirates were supposed to turn into skeltons and only at the end did I figure out it was when they were in the moonlight and I blame that damn mumbling for sliding a pretty important point past me.

{You say you have to "strain to hear explanations" ... are you hard of hearing?}

My hearing is fine. Thank you for asking.

{I find the movie does have decent jokes throughout... I laughed many times.}

Good for you.

{moreover, I find Bloom has more of an opportunity in this movie to show his chops then in LOTR where he just does not get the kind of screen time that Legolas deserves.}

I now believe Orlando Bloom's lack of screentime in "The Lord Of The Rings" was a blessing in disguise and further confirms my belief that Peter Jackson is a shrewd, shrewd man.

anduril
02-12-2004, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by bix171
{You say you have to "strain to hear explanations" ... are you hard of hearing?}

My hearing is fine. Thank you for asking.

Then why did you "strain to hear"?

bix171
02-12-2004, 11:14 PM
Because they were slurring their words and mumbling the whole time; it wore me down after a while. Only Jonathan Pryce had clear diction.

I couldn't help but feel that this was Jerry Bruckheimer's attempt to "update" the pirate genre by mixing a certain sense of realism (specifically the rough Cockney dialects most of the actors used) with the fantasy. It's an arrogance I find barely tolerable.

anduril
02-12-2004, 11:16 PM
Really, you would call it "arrogance." That I think deserves more elaboration... why?

bix171
02-12-2004, 11:39 PM
Producers like Jerry Bruckheimer feel that they're entitled to make any genre film and present it as "the way it should've always been done". Which usually means more in-your-face and envelope pushing--which strikes me as like having an argument with a guy who keeps pushing his finger into your chest, daring you to hit him and believing you won't.

"Kangaroo Jack" is an example of taking a family film and filling it with all the bosomy titillation he thinks a kid's movie should have. He knows your ten-year-old wants it but that you don't is another matter. He's thinking you won't hit back while he exploits another genre just because he can.

Bruckheimer doesn't really care about the product. He only cares about what feeds his ego and "Pirates" apparently was his effort to bring us the pirate movie he thought we were begging him for.

anduril
02-12-2004, 11:42 PM
While I can see some truth in your sentiment about Bruckheimer in general, I'm not sure your criticism really holds for Pirates. I see nothing particularly arrogant about the movie; in fact, I saw a few moments of homage to past movies, most notably Bloom's costumn at the end...

oscar jubis
04-27-2004, 09:15 PM
(It's Chelsea Oscar's daughter)Whether or not it's a "great" movie the two reasons it was very popular and made lotsa' $$$ are:
1. Johnny Depp
2. Orlando Bloom

cinemabon
04-29-2004, 09:30 AM
I'm not sure who was more responsible for the score, Klaus Badelt or Hans Zimmer (whom I admire greatly). There was a rousing score that contributed highly to the adventuresome spirit. The contribution of music is often over looked by fan and critic alike.

However, I would have to agree whole heartedly with Oscar Jubis on this one. Even Depp's copying of Keith Richards is pretty lame for Depp, who has shined much better in other roles. I do a pretty good Richards myself! Slurrying my English accent! Very silly stuff.... how the Academy considers that one of the best performances of the year just about stretches credulity to the breaking point.

When Rush stepped into the moonlight and turned into a skeleton was the high point of the whole film. Probably why they took that clip and ran it over and over again in commercials and at award ceremonies to death. Jerry got what he wanted, another big ball of cash to create more junk food movies for the masses.