PDA

View Full Version : It's Oscar Time!

cinemabon
02-18-2004, 10:05 PM
The one day every year that film buffs around the world call off sick from work, take the phone off the hook (now that's showing my age!), bolt the door and take in the oldest and most prestigeous award show in the business: The Academy Awards.

Originally a way to promote their films, the studios turned their backs on bankrolling the affair in the late forties when many of the bosses became upset with the British taking home the top prizes. The networks took over in the early 50's, and the whole affair has become civilized ever since.

Under the column, "I'd forgotten"; the funniest Oscar story this year goes to Gregory Kirschling reporting in last week's issue of "Entertainment Weekly" on 10 time nominee Lawrence Olivier (his last was 25 years ago). According to the article, Olivier loathed the ceremony (live television was too unsettling for him) and he avoided attending the majority of his nominations. In 1984, his last appearance, he ended the show with one of the best gaffs in Academy history. Asked to present the Best Pix Oscar, he became extremely nervous, ad libbing, "I hope I won't let the occaision down too badly," at which point he forgot to read the list of nominees, looked at the prompter, and declared the winner as the first on the alphabetical list of five. Luckily, "Amadeus" was indeed the winner, but Producer Saul Zaentz checked the inside of the envelope when he arrived on stage just to be sure.

Here are my predictions by catagory. Good luck to your favorites.

Best Supporting Actress:
Patricia Clarkson

Best Supporting Actor:
Tim Robbins

Best Visual Effects:
Lord of the Rings

Best Make-up
Lord of the Rings

Film Editing
Lord of the Rings

Costume Design
The Last Samurai

Orginal Song
Cold Mountain - Sting

Original Score
Lord of the Rings

Sound Effects Editing
Master and Commander

Sound Mixing
Master and Commander

Cinemaphotography
Cold Mountain

Art Direction
Lord of the Rings

Original Screenplay
Sophia Coppola - Lost in Translation

Adapted Screenplay
Brian Helgeland - Mystic River

Foreign Film
The Barbarian Invasions - Canada

Director
Peter Jackson - Lord of the Rings

Actor
Sean Penn

Actress
Charlize Theron

Best Picture
Lord of the Rings - Return of the King

oscar jubis
02-18-2004, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by cinemabon
Here are my predictions by catagory. Good luck to your favorites.

Best Supporting Actress:
Patricia Clarkson
I wish but no way. This one goes to Cold Mountain's Renee Zellweger.

Best Supporting Actor:
Tim Robbins
Bet the house.

Cinemaphotography
Cold Mountain
Probably right, but I wouldn't mind Girl with a Pearl Earring getting its one Oscar here.

Original Screenplay
Sophia Coppola - Lost in Translation
Probably right, but I prefer the screenplay for The Barbarian Invasions, which doesn't have a chance because it's in French.

Adapted Screenplay
Brian Helgeland - Mystic River
I like this film less than a lot of people, but none of the other nominees blows me away.

Foreign Film
The Barbarian Invasions - Canada
Director
Peter Jackson - Lord of the Rings
Count on it

Actor
Sean Penn
Could a performance like Murray's pull a surprise?

Actress
Charlize Theron
I have to say that Scarlet Johansson not getting nominated is bizarre and unfair. Theron will win.

Best Picture
Lord of the Rings - Return of the King

[b] Indeed, LOTR will win but may lose a couple of technical awards to Master and Commander such as production design, costumes, sound. Finding Nemo will win best animated feature. Best doc will likely go to The Fog of War.

Johann
02-18-2004, 11:27 PM
Yes, the oscars. Even if you're a snobby film fan like me you are almost required to watch, if for nothing else than water-cooler conversation.

There's no point in saying my picks, because they're almost a carbon copy of cinemabon & oscar's.

You guys are film buffs- you know what is great and you know how the Academy operates.
But we also know that the Academy springs surprises...

Bill Murray is great, I love the guy, but I don't think he deserves an oscar for "going against type". Tom Cruise destroys him in the acting dept. (in terms of dedication and talent-Bill rarely seems like he's working hard or challenging himself) and if Murray gets the oscar I'll be choked when Cruise has been denied (yes, I know he's not niminated this year-just making a point). Especially considering his fellow nominees. I would be over the moon if Depp wins.
Sean Penn is clearly the most deserving.

I'm doing something I rarely do- I'm buying the DVD of Lost in Translation without seeing it. I have a hunch I've been a little too hard on Sofia- this film is universally praised, I love Scarlet Johannsen and Coppola says she was inspired by Jarmusch.
Those points and the oscar noms mean it must be great.

It's a good bet it's Peter Jackson's night, but we have to keep in mind that the Academy has not awarded him lavishly for the other LOTR films. Here's hoping we don't get shocked...

oscar jubis
02-21-2004, 10:52 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Johann
water-cooler conversation.
Once a year, normal folks talk about movies, for better or worse. I have to own up to watching also because of the occasional funny remark or genuine moment. How political do you think Robbins' acceptance speech will be? Is it a valid stage for such pronouncements?

There's no point in saying my picks, because they're almost a carbon copy of cinemabon & oscar's.
Supporting Actress being the sole disparity. Any predictions?

But we also know that the Academy springs surprises...
There's always one major award that baffles and confounds. Remember Marisa Tomei? When the surprise is Best Film, it feels like a kick in the gut. Remember Driving Miss Daisy? You do remember A Beautiful Mind.

It's a good bet it's Peter Jackson's night, but we have to keep in mind that the Academy has not awarded him lavishly for the other LOTR films. Here's hoping we don't get shocked...
I'll drink to that.

cinemabon
02-22-2004, 10:37 PM
Well... I though Sean Astin made his mother, Patty Duke rather proud. Seize the moment, indeed! He should thank his lucky stars John Rhys-Davies pushed him to one side when he did.

A rather strange twist of affairs at the end that made me doubt my choice for supporting actress... O.K., Oscar, you might have me on that one! I could just see Johann's face when they gave it to Depp. I'm sure there was much screaming at that moment! Something like, "YES!", perhaps... a little cliched, but worth it. The rest fell into line with what everyone else is thinking. I only hope Astin's little stunt at the end didn't spoil the party for Peter Jackson and company. They deserved their SAG award and hopefully, the Best Pix nod, too.

oscar jubis
02-22-2004, 11:17 PM
A rather strange twist of affairs at the end that made me doubt my choice for supporting actress... O.K., Oscar, you might have me on that one!

Hope I don't Cinemabon! I found Zellweger's performance a bit too manic for my taste, given the tone of her movie. It's a screwball comedy performance. I think she'll win because the public has embraced the extremely likable character she's playing.

On the other hand, I prefer Cold Mountain to any of the other movies represented here (Mystic River, House of Sand and Fog, Thirteen, Pieces of April). Brits have recognized the excellent Cold Mountain whereas Americans seem to have a narrower definition of "American Civil War Movie". I wouldn't mind the film getting the attention an Oscar confers.
Maybe this is the surprise category. How about an Oscar for Shoreh Aghdashloo or Holly Hunter?

Johann
02-23-2004, 08:38 AM
I would like to see Marcia Gay Harden take the Best Sup. Actress
trophy, but the Academy likes to give the award to newcomers or people who have deserved it before but were denied- a dumb way of going about things. As Michael Caine said: "It's all about the luck of the draw". Whoever is striking a chord with voters at Oscar time gets the 10-pound man. (Despite future context).

That said, I wouldn't mind if Renee takes it. She's worked damn hard since her big break in Jerry Maguire, and she's definitely worthy for Cold Mountain.
Don't count on Tim Robbins taking it. Alec Baldwin could grab an upset...
And Jude Law is in the same boat that Adrien Brody was in last year: a stellar performance in a stellar movie but he's got very stiff competition. Johnny's SAG award is a warning: The Depp vote could be huge. It amuses me: here's a guy who's done better work in the past but he gets a nomination for success? Where was the recognition for the past ten years?
I don't wanna jinx Johnny's chances so I'll just shut up & be happy he's goin' to the dance. If Benicio can win, Johnny can win.

Seabiscuit and Master and Commander have serious shots at the Best Cinematography prize. Tough category this year.

pmw
02-23-2004, 01:08 PM
Originally posted by Johann
this film is universally praised

not universally, hee hee hee...
P

JustaFied
02-23-2004, 10:20 PM
Man, I hope LOTR wins for at least best picture and director. 0 for 3 for Jackson would be a disgrace after that trilogy he put together.

I'm also kinda pulling for Alec Baldwin in The Cooler. Tim Robbins seemed a bit one-note to me - he seemed to just slump his shoulders and act a little slow.

Big fan of Marcia Gay Harden, she was great in Miller's Crossing and also here in Mystic River. Laura Linney was damn good here also, I think just as deserving, maybe the part was too small.

Sean Penn should, and probably will, win best actor. He's come a long way from the days of Jeff Spicoli ("No Shoes, No Shirt,... No Dice!"). I would be disappointed to see Depp win because Pirates of the Caribean is such a throwaway movie. He's a great actor, but wait until next time. Bill Murray was great in Lost in Translation. Unlike many here, I liked that movie, though I don't think it should win any major awards. Coppola shouldn't beat out Jackson for Director, and it really shouldn't win for best screenplay. The movie has a lot going for it, it's a cool flick, but it's not centered on a snappy, dialogue driven script.

Them's my picks, for what they're worth.

oscar jubis
02-23-2004, 11:22 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by JustaFied
. Coppola shouldn't beat out Jackson for Director, and it really shouldn't win for best screenplay.

It's a better script than those for Dirty Pretty Things and In America. The other two noms are Nemo and The Barbarian Invasions. Has a script for a cartoon or a script not in English ever won an Oscar?

JustaFied
02-23-2004, 11:44 PM
Originally posted by oscar jubis

The other two noms are Nemo and The Barbarian Invasions. Has a script for a cartoon or a script not in English ever won an Oscar?

Last year, in fact, Almodovar won best original screenplay for Talk to Her, Spanish language. (I had to look that up, by the way, though it is familiar to me now).

I agree that the original screenplay category this year looks weak. "In America" is no more deserving than "Lost in Translation". I admit I haven't seen the others. Is "Dirty Pretty Things" unworthy?

"Mystic River" should win for adapted screenplay. I'd put money on it.

oscar jubis
02-23-2004, 11:59 PM
Last year, in fact, Almodovar won best original screenplay for Talk to Her, Spanish language. .

Indeed. Three other foreign language winning scripts: A Man and a Woman('66), Divorce, Italian Style ('62) and The Red Balloon('56).
If you haven't seen Finding Nemo and The Barbarian Invasions, you are missing out on two very fine films.

JustaFied
02-24-2004, 12:16 AM
Actress
Charlize Theron
[b]I have to say that Scarlet Johansson not getting nominated is bizarre and unfair. Theron will win.

Which film should Scarlet have been nominated for? She got Golden Globe nominations for both "Lost in Translation" and "Girl with a Pearl Earring". Two categories with Golden Globes, one for comedy/musical and one for drama; she won neither. I think her acting style is still a bit too expressionless, especially next to Bill Murray in "Lost in Translation" it was particularly visible.

I'm sure Charlize Theron does a fine job in "Monster", but I still don't want to see the movie. Haven't seen "21 Grams", so can't speak to Naomi Watts' performance, but she was amazing in "Mulhouland Drive" and it was a shame she wasn't even nominated for her performance then. She's a very talented actress. Diane Keaton and the girl from "Whale Rider" won't win, so it'll probably be Theron by default. She's got the momentum.

I will indeed put "Finding Nemo" and "The Barbarian Invaders" on my viewing list. "City of God", too.

oscar jubis
02-24-2004, 12:28 AM
I would have liked Johansson nominated for Lost. Her acting is subtle, nuanced and detailed. But I loved the more obviously challenging characters played by Ms. Watts and Ms. Theron. The latter's not a performance but a transformation a la De Niro in Goodfellas. Theron will win. I'm curious as to why you don't want to see her Monster.

Mullholland Drive is the last great American movie, even if Lynch had to ask the French for money to finish it.

JustaFied
02-24-2004, 07:51 PM
<But I loved the more obviously challenging characters played by Ms. Watts and Ms. Theron. The latter's not a performance but a transformation a la De Niro in Goodfellas. Theron will win. I'm curious as to why you don't want to see her Monster.>

What's so interesting about this film "Monster"? I'm sure Charlize Theron does a good job portraying a serial killer, but beyond that, why should I see it? What's the draw?

oscar jubis
02-24-2004, 10:28 PM
Theron's performance was deemed best by The Golden Globes, The National Board of Review, Broadcast Film Crit. Assoc., Chicago Film Critics, Dallas-F. Worth Film Critics, San Francisco Film Critics, Screen Actors Guild, Las Vegas Film Critics, San Francisco Film Critics, Vancouver Film Critics, National Society of Film Critics, and she is favorite to win The Independent Spirit Award and the Oscar. And you ask "what's the draw?". You haven't seen 21 Grams, Finding Nemo, The Barbarian Invasions, City of God and who knows how many more must-see movies. What does it take to get you inside a movie theatre?

tabuno
02-25-2004, 12:32 AM
I'm always amazed at how the Academy Awards tends towards the dramatic. Yet when Tom Hanks was nominated in 2000 for best actor in Castaway he lost out to Russell Crowe in Gladiator. Tom had to undergo a difficult weight loss and difficult shooting schedule in order to get into his character plus he had to perform solo for most of the movie unlike Charlize Theron who has the benefit of an intense unusual character along with performing alongside other actors. Personally, I believe the Tom had the much more difficult performance as well as demonstrating that he was a superb actor. Whether or not Charlize has any equivalent competition this year from other nominees, I'm still surprised that Tom didn't win in 2000 , if Charlize is being held up as the odds on favorite to win this year in the Actress category.

Johann
02-25-2004, 09:58 AM
The Academy got it wrong for Best Actor in 1993 and 1994.
Tom Hanks was great in Philadelphia and Gump, but the Academy painted itself into a corner by awarding Hanks twice. They look stupid now for not giving the award to Liam Neeson in '93 and Johnny Depp in '94 (Schindler's List & Ed Wood). What happened was they created a situation where Hanks was going to try for a third trophy with a vengeance. Castaway was the result, and he should have won for it. But they couldn't give it to him- and this time he truly deserved it! Idiots.

Charlize Theron on the other hand, has no competition this year.
Seriously.

So far in her career she's been good, but she's never shown what she's made of in terms of acting chops until now. Her performance in Monster is a "how you like me now?" to her peers and audience. She's got chops alright, and her oscar-lock is proof. Even Nicole Kidman wasn't sure she was gonna win. Charlize has had a few weeks to rehearse her speech. The other nominees for Best Actress this year might as well stay home.

oscar jubis
02-25-2004, 03:42 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by Johann
The Academy got it wrong for Best Actor in 1993 and 1994.
= They look stupid now for not giving the award to Liam Neeson in '93 and Johnny Depp in '94 (Schindler's List & Ed Wood).

They do look stupid. Alternative to Neeson in '93: Daniel Day Lewis for In The Name of the Father.

Charlize has had a few weeks to rehearse her speech. The other nominees for Best Actress this year might as well stay home.

It's death, taxes and Theron getting the Oscar.

Johann
02-25-2004, 05:58 PM
Good one.
Ralph Fiennes could be an alternative as well, although The Baby of Macon wouldn't have a prayer. There's probably many more actors who deserved it those years, but the Academy is kinda cagey- Tom Hanks was a wholesome, ideal choice those years.

JustaFied
02-25-2004, 10:32 PM
And you ask "what's the draw?". You haven't seen 21 Grams, Finding Nemo, The Barbarian Invasions, City of God and who knows how many more must-see movies. What does it take to get you inside a movie theatre?

True, many movies out there that I haven't yet seen. Not the cinephile that you are, I guess. Working on it, though, and I do enjoy reading the high level of discourse on these threads.

I've read several reviews of Monster, and many think it's a mediocre film (writing and direction, at least) with a phenomenal acting performance by Charlize Theron. That may indeed be worth the price of admission, but I do wonder what the movie as a whole is trying to say. That's what I meant by the "what's the draw" comment. And I fear that the movie makers are attempting to instill some degree of moral ambiguity about the woman's actions in order to draw out viewer sympathies. I don't like that. She murdered several people; she was a "serial killer" if you prefer that description. That's heady subject matter for a filmmaker to take on, and I'm wary of it unless it's really addressed seriously or at least objectively. Actually, I don't even think that's possible with a movie about serial murder, unless it's told somewhat allegorically, like American Psycho or A Clockwork Orange.

The next movie I'm going to see is Fog of War, which opens here this Friday. I'm psyched.

oscar jubis
02-25-2004, 11:53 PM
I do enjoy reading the high level of discourse on these threads.

You are one of those responsible for the high level of discourse here. That's why I urge you to watch these nominated movies and post about them.

I've read several reviews of Monster. I fear that the movie makers are attempting to instill some degree of moral ambiguity about the woman's actions in order to draw out viewer sympathies. I don't like that. That's heady subject matter for a filmmaker to take on, and I'm wary of it unless it's really addressed seriously or at least objectively.

My belief is that serial murderers are not born evil or possessed by evil. They are human beings who are damaged, most likely as a consequence of abuse and neglect when they were kids. To acknowledge this, particularly when there's clear evidence of such past trauma like in the case of Miss Wuornos, does not in any way constitute "moral ambiguity about the woman's actions". Simply a reflection of the effects of violence, rape, humiliation and abandonment on the developing person. In my opinion, the film does not take a hard position on the morality of capital punishment. It doesn't deny either that ultimately each individual must be held responsible for her actions. One conclusion I developed is that, as a society, it is wise (and even cost-effective) to invest more heavily on our youth, particularly in child protection.
If you basically agree with these views you are unlikely to find Monster offensive.

Johann
02-26-2004, 12:38 AM
The actions of Wuornos, (who I had never heard of until Monster) are not forgivable and the film attempts to show the woman warts and all.

Johann
02-28-2004, 09:02 AM
Anyone here hate Joan Rivers and her satan-spawn daughter Melissa?

They are two of the most annoying "press" people on earth yet they keep getting invited back to the oscars to act like donkeys, nay-ing over who's wearing what.
That's the only drawback to the show. Hopefully Billy Crystal keeps things going at a good clip. I remember a few years back he sang "Oscar Oscar"-looking like a dolt. Hopefully he doesn't sing. The opening of the show could be a groaner-Billy likes to do those Best Picture-themed intros. Is he going to wear Hobbit feet?

Let us pray he doesn't.

oscar jubis
02-28-2004, 01:49 PM
Is anyone watching the Independent Spirit Awards tonight at 10 Eastern Time?

JustaFied
02-28-2004, 09:55 PM
I found Zellweger's performance a bit too manic for my taste, given the tone of her movie. It's a screwball comedy performance. I think she'll win because the public has embraced the extremely likable character she's playing.

On the other hand, I prefer Cold Mountain to any of the other movies represented here (Mystic River, House of Sand and Fog, Thirteen, Pieces of April). Brits have recognized the excellent Cold Mountain whereas Americans seem to have a narrower definition of "American Civil War Movie". I wouldn't mind the film getting the attention an Oscar confers.

Just saw "Cold Mountain" for the first time and I agree with everything you've said here. It was much better than I expected; I would list it as one of my favorites of 2003. It certainly should have been nominated for Best Picture instead of "Seabiscuit".

I did like Zellweger's character and her performance overall, but she should have toned it down a little. It did indeed feel like a "screwball comedy performance" at times; at many points in the movie I felt her performance was out of place with the other characters and with the general feel of the film. It was like she would shout out some quirky line, the banjo music would start, and we in the audience were supposed to chuckle and realize how cute it all was.

I thought Jude Law was one of the real strengths of this film. I'd be happy to see him win the Oscar, but then again Sean Penn and Bill Murray were equally good in their roles. Tough category this year, and Johnny Depp may end up beating them all!

Johann
02-29-2004, 12:50 AM
Is anyone watching the Independent Spirit Awards tonight at 10 Eastern Time?

NO! I had to work a 12 hour shift tonight!
Why didn't you say something earlier? I would've thrown a tape in the VCR!

Now you have to tell us who won....

and some final words of encouragent to Johnny Depp: Sunday Morning
I'm Waiting For The Man
Femme Fatale
Venus in Furs
RUN RUN RUN
All Tomorrow's Parties
Heroin
There She Goes Again
I'll Be Your Mirror
The Black Angel's Death Song
European Son

Nico says Hi.

oscar jubis
02-29-2004, 01:38 AM
Let's see if I remember them all.
Best Picture, Best Director and Best Screenplay to Sofia Coppola and her Lost in Translation.
Best Actor to Bill Murray for the same film.
Of course, Charlize Theron won best actress.
Best supporting actress: Shoreh Aghdashloo for House of Sand and Fog.
Best supporting actor to the African actor of In America, who was also in Amistad and whose name I don't want to misspell.
The Independent Spirit Award committee gave a special award to a film that doesn't qualify for other awards because it's a big studio production: 21 Grams.
Best Debut Performance: Nikki Reed for Thirteen
The Station Agent won something, I think it was Best First Script.

cinemabon
02-29-2004, 11:27 PM
I can't begin to thank the Academy enough for recognizing this great film series. From the moment I first encountered Lord of the Rings, I had a feeling this series of movies would go down in cinema history; and now it has, by tying with Titanic and Ben-Hur as the most decorated film of all time. I couldn't be happier for Peter Jackson, awarded three Oscars for writing, directing, and producing. OUTSTANDING! I am pleased with everyone's input on this post. I know tastes vary here, but everyone is so intelligent and artistic and tolerant and I would like to thank everyone for offering their insights on the nominees.

I want to send my condolences to those who wanted certain actors or others to win in different catagories. I missed four of the catagories Rings was nominated in, because I didn't think the Academy would give it all to them. I am so grateful they honored this film. I am such a huge fan of this series. It's all about film and this movie is done so elegantly. Jackson is a consumate filmmaker. I applaud his effort here.

I also enjoyed seeing Sean Penn receive his long overdue Oscar and his rather humble acceptance speech, thanking his beautiful wife Robin Wright and Clint Eastwood.

Now, as to next year... well, that argument is just beginning, isn't it?

Johann
02-29-2004, 11:30 PM
The dance is over.

Good show for the most part. Billy Crystal was an annoying, singing dolt again. (He sang "oscar oscar!"-lynch him!)

It indeed was Peter Jackson's night, capped off by Spielberg's Best Picture presentation.

Congrats, Sean- you the man.

JustaFied
02-29-2004, 11:33 PM
I'm also very pleased with the results of the Oscars. LOTR deserves everything it got. Only real regret was for Bill Murray, though Sean Penn was certainly deserving. Only one anti-war remark?

HorseradishTree
02-29-2004, 11:48 PM
Originally posted by JustaFied
Only one anti-war remark?

Yeah, but it was a good one. There seems to be a pattern growing with these documentarians...

Anyway, gods praise Errol Morris for finally winning something. I've been a fan of his since The Thin Blue Line .

I'm pretty disappointed with most of the results, however. LotR only won 11 awards to pick up slack for the last two years. In my opinion, RotK was the weakest of the three films. I was especially disheartened that "Into the West" beat out "Belleville Rendez-Vous" for best song. Now THAT'S taking it way too far.

Johann
02-29-2004, 11:53 PM
The highlight of the night was Adrien Brody's "binaca" moment before handing the ten-pound man to Charlize.

Gotta go to club Detour- been invited to a drag queen post-oscar show.

Will expound later on the night.

JustaFied
02-29-2004, 11:57 PM
Originally posted by HorseradishTree

Anyway, gods praise Errol Morris for finally winning something. I've been a fan of his since The Thin Blue Line .

Yeah, one of the greatest documentary filmmakers of all time, and he finally gets acknowledged. And then Billy Crystal's got to make some smart-ass comment when he's done speaking. No respect, I tell you...

anduril
03-01-2004, 12:04 AM
Now, as to next year... well, that argument is just beginning, isn't it?

Will the Academy nominate or shun The Passion of the Christ? That will be the big question of this upcoming year...

oscar jubis
03-01-2004, 12:06 AM
If I could change a single thing it'd be in the category of Best Cinematography. I was hoping Eduardo Serra would win for Girl with a Pearl Earring, instead of Master and Commander. It's a minor complaint, I know.

JustaFied, I'm glad you enjoyed Cold Mountain. I agree with your comments about Jude Law and Ms. Zellweger.

Johann
03-01-2004, 03:30 AM
If The Passion of the Christ is remembered by this time next year I'll eat some crow. Mel Gibson deserves kudos for releasing it right now, Oscar time. Box office is bursting, Mel. Congrats.

Glad Errol Morris got recognized, glad Renee won, glad Blake Edwards got some spotlight.

No real complaints about the Oscars from me. Thank god Sean Penn went up onstage...

tabuno
03-01-2004, 07:40 AM
The Washington Post made reference today about Sophia's best screenplay Oscar and its 80 page length. It mentioned how Bill Murray had to improvise during its filming. If so, I must say that as an actor and performing, it would seem that Murray should be commended for his ability that though Sean Penn did have a great character, his portrayal is typical of many of those emotionally overwrought performances that so characterize "so- called" great acting. However, comedy and the more subtle timing and nuances of someone like Mr. Murray, combined with his so-called contributions to "Lost In Translation" seem to me were sorely overlooked by the Academy.

JustaFied
03-01-2004, 07:59 AM
Originally posted by tabuno
The Washington Post made reference today about Sophia's best screenplay Oscar and its 80 page length. It mentioned how Bill Murray had to improvise during its filming.

Yeah, you've got to wonder how many of his lines were improvised and how many actually came from the script. There was a New York Times Magazine cover story about Sophia Coppola last September, came out about same time as the film. It talked about how hard it was for her to get Murray to agree to join the production, his concerns were about how thin the script was. She had to pull lots of connections (family, friends) to get him in. I liked the film but think it was much more deserving of an Oscar for Murray for Best Actor than for her screenplay.

Sean Penn would probably argue with you that his performance too required subtlety and nuances. I know what you mean, though; it was an all-out emotional blitz of a performance.

HorseradishTree
03-01-2004, 10:03 AM
Yeah, that's another thing that got me riled up: Sophia's screenplay win.

I'm sorry, but I really think she's just riding on her daddy's name. I thought the most enjoyable experience about the film was Bill Murray, and it's nice to hear he improvised a lot.

pmw
03-01-2004, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by HorseradishTree
Yeah, that's another thing that got me riled up: Sophia's screenplay win.

I'm sorry, but I really think she's just riding on her daddy's name. I thought the most enjoyable experience about the film was Bill Murray, and it's nice to hear he improvised a lot.

I agree. Couldn't imagine her screenplay winning. Why? Murray was the only shining star in that one. And I can't believe she thanked Godard and Kar Wai Wong!!!

I believe there were two anti-war comments. Didn't Penn say something about no WMD's? Maybe that wasn't antiwar though. Glad Errol Morris said what he said and got a round of applause.

P

oscar jubis
03-01-2004, 12:45 PM
Urgh!!! Not again.

I didn't expect to be subjected yet again to Sofia bashing. Didn't you guys already do this about a month ago?

And tree and his "riding on daddy's name". I'm positive I'm not the only one who thought Ms. Coppola should have been nominated for The Virgin Suicides, a few years ago. And I know that when she thanked her father, she knows that people like you are snickering, but she doesn't care. Nick definitely did the right thing by changing his last name to Cage.

pmw
03-01-2004, 12:56 PM
You're right, no need to revive the Sophia bashing but Godard and Kar Wai Wong? Did anyone get that from Lost in Translation?

In all fairness to .... me... the screenplay seemed secondary to the cinematography and acting, which I could see Oscars for.

Note: Just had a conversation with a friend who suggested that screenplay awards usually go to young directors as a way of including them in the fold.

P

oscar jubis
03-01-2004, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by pmw
Kar Wai Wong? Did anyone get that from Lost in Translation?
Besides the obvious parallels between Charlotte & Bob and the couple of marrieds in Mr. Kar Wai's In The Mood For Love?
The films have a remarkably similar resolution, in which an "accidental" couple refuses to give in to sexual impulses and thus cheapen, if not soil, a tender liaison that albeit brief will bring up fond memories forever.

JustaFied
03-01-2004, 08:44 PM
Originally posted by pmw
Note: Just had a conversation with a friend who suggested that screenplay awards usually go to young directors as a way of including them in the fold.

P

What I remember hearing or reading was that the screenplay awards go to the films they wish they could award Best Picture to but can't. Too edgy or controversial or just not popular enough with mainstream audiences.

"Fargo" in '96 and "Pulp Fiction" in '94 seem to fit this mold. Maybe the criteria has changed somewhat in recent years.

cinemabon
03-02-2004, 03:36 AM
Oscar, you're gonna kill me for this, but Lost in Translation has put me to sleep twice. I bought the DVD and laughed at several places where Murray was being his usual, off the cuff, comedic self. Very good! Not as good as Groundhog Day, however, when he should have been nominated. He completely carried that film.

I wonder how true Bill Murray's line at the award ceremony was when he said that after the first four days of filming, he and other cast members were ready to fire Coppola. Did Daddy come to her rescue? How much did Francis contribute to his daughter's success? While I do not doubt that hanging out on the set with Francis Ford can certainly help in learning directing skills, I was not convinced that this film was Best Picture material.

I did not see Cold Mountain... scheduling conflicts. Perhaps that was more politics in Hollywood that it was NOT nominated. After all, Cold Mountain might have bumped LOTR out of some categories if they had gone head to head. Speilberg and others seemed a little too giddy that Jackson and team won hands down. Peter has signed a contract with the devil, and now must deliver with Universal's "King Kong". His new offices right next to "over the moon's" Speilberg (who also started at Universal). His foot is in the door, will it be smarting, or can he deliver? Jackson must now stand in the middle of that slippery bridge between New Zealand and Hollywood.

Johann
03-02-2004, 03:45 AM
There's no looking back for Jackson. He'll be just as big as Steven.
He's "one of the boys" now: Spielberg, Zemeckis, Lucas, and co.

Don't say you fell asleep watching Lost in Translation!
I bought the DVD sight unseen! I wanna be proven wrong about Sofia so bad...

anduril
03-02-2004, 03:48 AM
Is it just me or is Jackson a dead ringer for Kubrick? Of course, I'm not talking film talent-wise here... just looks. I find it kind of eery.

Johann
03-02-2004, 03:51 AM
Jackson's eyes are more beady. Kubrick had piercing eyes...

I know what you're saying- when Cruise handed him the Best Director Oscar I wondered if Tom had deja-vu...