PDA

View Full Version : Do not miss TOUCHING THE VOID

oscar jubis
03-14-2004, 12:45 AM
In 1985, Joe Simpson and his friend Simon challenged themselves by attempting to be the first to climb the west face of the Siula Grande in the Peruvian Andes. Their experience was recounted by Joe in his bestselling book "Touching the Void", now turned into a documentary feature by Kevin MacDonald. (His A Day In September won the Oscar for best doc in 2000).

Joe and Simon's story is simply one of the most awesome tales of human survival and resilience. An incredible adventure and a buddy story with a moral dilemma at its core. MacDonald combines interviews with the real Joe and Simon with a "how-did they-do-that?" recreation of events on location using actors, cast so that you can maintain the illusion of watching real events.

Make a date with Touching the Void at a theatre near you before it's gone. If you watch it at home in the future, you'll be sorry you didn't heed my advice. This film demands a large canvas.

Johann
03-19-2004, 04:09 AM
I just checked out the trailer at www.pathefilms.co.uk/touching_the_void/ and I must say it looks damn good. I checked to see if it's playing nearby and there's no listings. I see it opened on Dec. 12 last year.

Thanks for the recommendation oscar and I'll keep my eyes peeled.

oscar jubis
03-23-2004, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by Johann
I see it opened on Dec. 12 last year. Thanks for the recommendation oscar and I'll keep my eyes peeled.

My pleasure. I'm going all out recommending buffs watch this at the theatre. IFC had a program about the making of Touching The Void and the trailer seen on a large TV set simply failed to convey what a majestic film this is. It played here for 2 weeks at the SoBe Regal and disappeared. It didn't even open in Ft. Lauderdale. Watch it as soon as it opens.

Chris Knipp
03-23-2004, 10:50 PM
I second the motion. Touching the Void is a powerful experience. This is one where you don't check the time. You don't go to the bathroom. You watch.

ON the big screen--definitely required.

tabuno
11-28-2004, 06:39 AM
This amazing documentary recreates reality so well along with a fantastic musical score, sound effects, and acting that the idea that fact is stranger than fiction rings true in this case and this movie could easily compete as Best Picture of the Year category. The performances are unbelievable, the setting, and the entire approach and editing between narrative and action shots are so vivid and seamless that this movie is one of the best of the year. (I seem to be saying that about a lot of movies this year). Look for this movie to be easily nominated for an Oscar.