PDA

View Full Version : Hitchcock's Vertigo

Johann
03-30-2004, 01:59 AM
I've found a Hitch film I love.

My roommate found a vhs widescreen restored version at a pawnshop and he thought I might like it. I managed a smile and said thanks, thinking "at least it's packaged nice".

I popped it in the 'ol VCR and........damned if I wasn't I riveted.

Jimmy Stewart has a way of keeping you interested in a movie. If he wasn't the star here I don't think I would care about the story one iota. Not to mention Kim Novak, who is one helluva sex kitten in a dual role.

Visually, I was very impressed. San Francisco seems very alive and Hitch pulled quite a few tricks with the camera that had me hitting the rewind button more than once. This is a film I'll see again. The picture was crystal clear for a VHS tape. The widescreen image was beautiful. I also have to say that this is one great package job: fold-out readable cover, bright orange and black marketing job, it almost makes me wish all Hitch films came this way.

The film is extremely well paced. Even I have to admit that. The story has a hypnotic quality to it that I've never seen in other Hitch films. I never looked away from the screen once-even to take a piss or get a beer. I'm still hesitant to say Hitch was a genius. He was a skilled filmmaker, but he's no Kubrick. I still prefer The 39 Steps as the ultimate Hitch film (I even bought the Criterion DVD) but Vertigo is one killer film. After I see it again I'll add more to this thread but for now I just wanna say Bravo Alfred

HorseradishTree
03-30-2004, 08:32 PM
BLARGH!! I know I'm going to be offending a lot of people with this post.

I find this to be Hitchcock's most overrated and worst film. While it carried his style, I just found the plot to be too absurd to absorb. I felt no great suspense or fear eminating from it. I'll return later with a longer post.

Johann
03-31-2004, 01:30 AM
Hey, I'm no fan of Hitch. I can assure you that Vertigo is nowhere near his worst- it's actually pure craftsmanship.

I'm still thinking about the movie, so it must be great. I just saw it for the first time this last week, and it has made a deep impression. I'm guessing you were bored. The story is quite unconventional and requires your full attention. I must have been in the mood for this one, because most Hitch films make me yawn.
I was totally in tune with Scotty and his situation. The movie just zipped by, with a great feel. It felt like a true classic.

I have a sneaky suspicion you just weren't ready for it, Tree.

cinemabon
04-01-2004, 04:23 PM
I thought you guys were kidding when you said you hadn't seen it. So much has been written about "Vertigo", everything from the color scheme used symbolically throughout, to the "Tristan and Isolde" like score of Bernard Herrmann.

A word about Kim Novak, who detested Hitch throughout the production and was not his first choice for the part. Novak pulls a performance out of the rather lifeless material, transforming the character of Judy into Madeleine in one of the greatest transformation scenes ever filmed (bathed in green light). It's not the make up or the dress that transforms her. It was Novak's ability to exude sexuality. She knew how to use that feminine side of her better than Marylin Monroe (a reason why Monroe did few dramatic parts and was more suited to comedy).

Hitch, on the other hand, just wanted his story board filmed (hence his reference to actors as cattle, i.e., filling in the spot he already filmed in his mind). Novak brought mystery and charm to the role. She made Stewart love her, just as all the men in the audience fell for her. It wasn't just her beauty, it was that underlying quality of sex, bubbling just below the surface.

While Stewart's performance as the "everyman" in this Hitch film (Grant played it others) was practically phoned in, there is the scene in the stables (later completely "ripped off/tribute to" by DePalma in "Body Double"). Just as before at the rocks when the music swells and they embrace, Stewart elicits the memory of Madeleine during their long kiss (and the circular camera movement pioneered by Burks), then driving her on to her horrible fate at the end.

There is so much going on in this film, it would take a book. Well, in fact, there are whole books written just about this film. Donald Spoto's book is a very good read on the depth of this film. In reference to his other films, just because Hitch made "Psycho" and that was his best commercial success, don't write off a film many people regard, along with "Kane" and others like it, as one of the greatest in cinema history. The DVD version is a joy to watch on HDTV. The colors are more easily identifiable (the green sweater, the green gown, the red room, the red rose, and so on).

wpqx
08-01-2004, 02:11 AM
I have to agree that the film is overrated, but I'll limit my comments. If you visit a site called www.foreignfilms.com, and look under the message board General film discussion, look for the thread called "I Finally Figured Vertigo Out". I know that I should post a link here, but the site is not up right now, so go figure. Anyways I went on for 5,431 words as to what I thought it was all about. If you have the time to read it, feel free. I would post it here, but it would take up about eight separate posts. Call me crazy, but Psycho is still his best. (get it "crazy"), ah shut up

oscar jubis
08-01-2004, 10:47 PM
I read all 5000 words when you posted there. I'll be honest man, I concluded your approach to this film is too concrete and/or you haven't become obsessed with unattainable love. Vertigo is a masterpiece, in my opinion.