PDA

View Full Version : Breathless

HorseradishTree
05-04-2004, 08:29 PM
God, I feel bad for doing this. I already shot down The Crime of Monsieur Lange in an earlier post, much to the dismay of Old Man Jubis. Now I'm really afraid to submit my thoughts on this film.

But, honesty is indeed the best policy.

I don't like this film. Yeah, I know, my taste is off once again, but I can't hide it. While I found Godard's revolutionary editing style to be interesting, it soon got annoying and I was wondering if he wasn't doing it on purpose, that perhaps they were accidental continuity problems.

The acting was OK, I guess, but those damn giant cigarrettes hanging out of Michel's mouth made me stare and got me lost.

I don't know, maybe I'm too young. It must just be a thing I have with old French films. I mean, I liked La Belle et la Bete up until the end, which seemed all too spontaneous and just plain stupid.

Okay, I'm going to go hide in a hole now in which projectiles will be easier to avoid.

Johann
05-05-2004, 01:57 AM
Beauty and the Beast is a surreal, Jungian, symbolistic masterpiece and I'm taking two weeks off in June to beadle on down to Van for the Cocteau retrospective. I simply cannot pass up the chance to see all of his films on the big screen, as well as Bresson's Les Dames du Bois du Boulonge (1945) and Le Baron Fantome (1943) by Poligny which Cocteau collaborated on.

As for A Bout de Souffle, all I can say is I'm glad you've seen it and posted your opinion. (Even if you didn't like it).

Myself I think it's a brilliant daring first film from a man who is misunderstood far too often. The jump cuts are disarming, but I think the more you see it the more you'll realize it's right.
Because it is. It was fresh, it was brazen, it was compelling, it is classic.

Maybe you'll see it again in the future and change your mind:)

silverheart
07-21-2004, 08:43 AM
I'm probably young too, but I did enjoy Breathless. I thought it was a fine movie and I adored Seberg and her character. I also became a fan of Belmondo.

HorseradishTree
07-21-2004, 09:27 PM
Well, the pattern luckily didn't continue, because after I posted that, I watched The 400 Blows and found it absolutely astounding. Now that's a piece of work.

Well, 1 for 4 ain't bad, eh?

I think I've found myself to enjoy the more recent French films, such as City of Lost Children. I found that to be a visual masterpiece.