PDA

View Full Version : "Solaris" written by Stanislaw Lem

tabuno
09-07-2002, 03:49 PM
A new version of "Solaris" will soon be coming to theaters later this year (2002) in what must be one of the most ambitious movie making attempts about a book that is one of the most difficult to read sci fi writiers, Stanislaw Lem, who also wrote "Memiors in a Bathtub" among others. I hope somebody who has some ability to decipher convoluted writing will be able to make sense of the novel for this new movie version. The multi-hours Russian version was a worthy attempt but from what I heard, it was cut so back in the English version it's pretty much impossible to make out what really was going on.

Johann
09-24-2002, 02:39 AM
I'm anxiously anticipating the Criterion Collection's release of Tarkovsky's version. I'm not sure if we need another version, Soderbergh/Cameron collaboration be damned...

paulski_fiat
09-24-2002, 10:19 AM
I don't think that Soderbergh and companions have the sensitivity to deal with such a difficult book as 'Solaris'. To face the truth; Hollywood film industry is forced to serve the common public taste to satisfy the stock owners profits. There is only a very small gap for a screen juwel and brave filmmakers who are ready to make a film which is not 'for the masses'.
The new 'Solaris' will be probably a movie that is filled with special FX, a ridiculous story and emotional garbage. I would be very positively suprised if its going to be different.
Right now Hollywood is stirring up the ground of the 'what can we make a film of' pond. And I think the common decline of the quality of content won't stop in front of this formidable book of S. Lem.

tabuno
09-24-2002, 10:18 PM
I expect the Russian and American versions of Solaris will necessarily be as different from each other, culturally, cinematographically, every which way. I will be surprised if a condensed version of the original movie (from a time length criteria) will be able to capture the nuances and the complexity of the novel. However, the American version, may reveal a lot about American approaches to difficult, dense subjects, and in that way, it may be interesting to see what is left of the book and how well known actor handles such material.

paulski_fiat
09-25-2002, 01:21 PM
Yes, of course the Hollywood version will be neccesarily different. But the economic pressure on the filmmakers might prevent a subtle approach to this matter which this book deserves. I'm not convinced that elaborate acting and clean technically sophisticated camera work can overcome those (of course presumed) shortcomings.
I don't want to mock too much about a movie which nobody has watched yet. I'm just hoping they don't get caught in nice visual effects instead of concentrating on the philosophical content.

pipsorcle
09-25-2002, 05:09 PM
This quote is confirmed... "it's a cross between 2001: A Space Odyssey" and "Last Tango in Paris."

Johann
09-26-2002, 12:20 AM
Yikes! Last Tango & 2001?

Those are two of my favorites. I sure hope they make it work....
They're running the risk of seriously embarrassing themselves.

I will give them the benefit of the doubt. There are far worse filmmakers who could attempt the remake. But if they fail,

THE PEN IS MIGHTIER THAN THE SWORD

paulski_fiat
10-01-2002, 04:19 PM
I hope Lem is getting some money for this. Otherwise I'm not convinced of the superiority of the pen.

Anyway, when will this movie appear at the screen? (In Europe it will be later, of course)

tabuno
10-01-2002, 05:20 PM
Solaris is set to open in the United States in November 2002.

pipsorcle
10-01-2002, 05:28 PM
November 27th, 2002 is the exact date "Solaris" is set to be released. Originally it was December 13th but 20th Century Fox moved it back two weeks because of worries about facing stiff competition with "Star Trek: Nemesis."

By the way, there's this interesting interview Film Threat did with Steven Soderbergh. It's rather dated but still worth reading nevertheless.

http://www.filmthreat.com/Interviews.asp?Id=125

SteveSW9
04-08-2004, 07:15 PM
I just think that's the whole point of Soderberg's take.
And why it is great.
It is totally about our "emotional garbage".

oscar jubis
04-08-2004, 09:19 PM
Even with the poetry and mysticism from Tark's masterpiece excised, Soderbergh's Solaris is too rich to be "totally" about anything. Granted, the protagonist's incomplete grieving and unresolved guilt are quite apparent.