PDA

View Full Version : Outfoxed to the screen

pmw
08-05-2004, 09:53 AM
From DVD to the big screen! Impressive. Got this email today about the documentary Outfoxed :

Dear MoveOn member,
Fox News wishes Outfoxed would just go away. Instead, Outfoxed has been so popular -- selling 100,000 copies in two weeks -- that it's coming to a theater near you this weekend.

You can help make Outfoxed a box-office success by coming to see the movie anytime this weekend -- and bringing a friend! Starting Friday, screenings are at 1:00, 2:35, 4:10, 5:45, 7:20, 9:00, and 10:30 PM.

Where:
The Quad Cinema
34 West 13th St.
New York, NY
Phone: (212) 255-8800

Tickets are $9.50. Groups of 10 or more are $6.50 each.

A movie going from home video to theaters is practically unheard of. It's a testament to the MoveOn and Common Cause members who helped get the movie off the ground by hosting 3,000 house parties three weeks ago. With this weekend's theatrical debut in New York, Los Angeles, San Francisco, and D.C., more people than ever will hear how Fox is shilling for Bush and the Republicans.

Congratulations, and thank you for all that you do.

Sincerely,
--Wes Boyd and Noah T. Winer
MoveOn.org
August 4th, 2004

oscar jubis
08-05-2004, 11:51 AM
I can't wait for my Outfoxed dvd to arrive. By clicking on the link below you can access the MoveOn site and learn about the documentary, the upcoming VOTE FOR CHANGE tour, and other activities.

www.moveon.org/front/

Chris Knipp
08-05-2004, 01:12 PM
The advantage of a house party to watch is that there is a collective discussion afterwards. This helps to galvanize people. A friend staged her own house party last Sunday after the MoveOn organized ones and there were about 20 people who ate some good food, got to know each other, watched the film, and then talked about it. It was a good exchange of ideas, and an opportunity for some to overcome their pessimism and sense of powerlessness. Maybe this will inspire the people who organized the house parties to become more active and do similar things in future. This is grassroots organizing via Internet. It's having an effect, I think.

Maybe some time we'll start having local FilmWurld house parties to watch and discuss important, rarely seen movies.

pmw
08-05-2004, 03:03 PM
Along these lines, I was thinking that it might be nice to have a special "Politics and Film" theme for the site right around Sept/Oct. Films included could be some of the many that came out in the past year: Fog of War, The Revolution Will Not Be Televised, The Battle of Algiers, Outfoxed, Fahrenheit 911, The Manchurian Candidate...what else? Perhaps we could couple it with some essays or interviews, some guest columnists etc. And I would be interested to see if MoveOn.org might not be interested in mentioning it in one of their emails. It's been a really major year for political film, and it looks to be getting more and more interesting with the DVD of Fahrenheit and the John Kerry movies that are slated for release. If you all have any thoughts on this, let me know. I think it would be really worthwhile.

P

As you suggest Chris, some get togethers/home screenings of a few of these could be great.

Chris Knipp
08-05-2004, 03:33 PM
Hijacking Catastrophe, The Hunting of the President, The Corporation. Yeah, this is a great idea, a must in fact.

pmw
08-05-2004, 05:31 PM
And Dogville... perhaps planning should start in earnest. If you all have any thoughts, let me know... I think a few interviews would be great...hmmm....this is exciting. More soon. Gotta wrap up "real" work so I can get to this.
P