PDA

View Full Version : Kid Stays In The Picture Is Fabulous!

pipsorcle
09-11-2002, 11:51 PM
Everyone. "The Kid Stays in the Picture" is one of the greatest documentaries to come out of recent years. To look at it as a Hollywood film is missing the point. While it is about producer Robert Evans and deals with Hollywood, you can't help but love how this film is made. There's an enormous skill this film has when it comes to being a documentary. In fact, this is probably the first documentary in a long time that actually becomes more than just a simple slide show with a voice over narration. Throughout dozens of photos, there's a blend of emotions and life. In a lesser film, you wouldn't get this.

Take note of the photo in "Kid Stays in the Picture" where a younger Robert Evans in his 20's is in a limo and the picture fades with light. Another example... The pictures in the film at the point where Robert Evans meets Buldorn, his boss at Paramount Studios. In this moment in Evans' life, he's overwhelmed and excited to be in Paramount. Buldorn and his partner then think Evans isn't too mean and tough enough to run the business so they knock some sense into them. In picture form at this moment in Evans' life, Buldorn's partner (forget the name... sorry) is shown in a big picture, much bigger than Evans, who's in a picture much smaller. So in a sense, at this time Evans is shown to be inferior.

What's also incredible is the integration of clips of various films that illustrate Robert Evans' life as a producer. From "Love Story," to "Chinatown," to "Marathon Man," clips of these films narrate the character of Evans for whatever the film wants to say about them. In essence, these film clips provide the world that Evans is a part of in Hollywood.

Somehow this film isn't a smash across the country. I have no idea why. All I can say is that EVERYONE has to see this film.

mariaT
09-12-2002, 11:35 AM
Wow, so you liked it. Ive heard kind of mixed things- that it is an ego aggrandizing picture. But Ive been tempted to take a peak. Perhaps I will now.