PDA

View Full Version : Miramax in trouble?

arsaib4
08-17-2004, 01:01 AM
....by Eugene Hernandez from IndieWire:

Email auto-responders at Miramax told much of the story late Friday. While the email auto-response message is especially useful in August when taking vacation time, at Miramax late last week the notifications gave insight into the changes taking place inside the company. "I am no longer at Miramax. If you need to get a hold of me my personal email is…," read one auto-response, while another said sharply, "I will be out of the office forever. No longer working with Miramax."

13% of Staffers Cut

Miramax Films laid-off 65 of 485 employees on Friday, cutting 13% of its workforce. The publicity, marketing, and production areas of the film company were especially hard hit, mostly cutting middle management and lower-level staffers. The changes, while anticipated and at smaller levels than originally speculated, add to questions about the fate of the company. Insiders are clearly hoping that the move is a step towards things settling down a bit as the Miramax prepares to release ten new films in the coming months.

"This is no reflection on anyone's performance, it is simply an effort to bring staff levels in line with our smaller release slate," explained company spokesman Matthew Hiltzik, adding plainly, "This has nothing to do with Disney."

Uncertain Times

The company has faced uncertain times of late given ongoing attention paid to Harvey and Bob Weinstein's discussions with corporate parent Disney about their futures at the venture. A widespread scenario has Harvey Weinstein leaving to start a new company but distributing his movies through Miramax with younger brother Bob staying to run the successful Dimension Films unit. Those talks are ongoing and it is expected that the situation will be resolved in the next six weeks or so. How such a move would affect the remaining 420 company employees is certainly unclear. Company COO Rick Sands, who still has more than a year left on his contract, is expected to leave Miramax in the coming months.

As the discussions with Disney continue, Miramax is gearing up for what is typically an important period, awards season. Ten films are on tap for the company through the end of the year, ranging from smaller projects to larger Oscar hopefuls. This year's total number of releases will be 18, compared with 22 last year and 31 in 2002. In March of that year the company cut 17% of its staff but had grown back to a larger size recently. Dimension Films, run by Bob Weinstein, only saw slight cuts on Friday, while the Miramax Books division was not affected.

Johann
08-17-2004, 03:13 PM
Thanks for the info arsaib.

Definitely something to ponder...

oscar jubis
08-17-2004, 11:52 PM
I am very ignorant about the business aspect of cinema. Can you guys shed some light? Is Miramax shrinking bad? Are other distributors picking up the slack? I want more money to push more releases of more challenging movies than the typical foreign film/indie flick? I just don't know how Miramax figures into this.

arsaib4
08-18-2004, 11:41 PM
What Miramax has done recently is primarily to make 'big brother' Disney a bit more pleased. Miramax's alloted budget has gone way out of proportion thanks to efforts like 'Cold Mountain,' but if one cuts through the bullshit, it's mostly about the recent disagreements over 'Fahrenheit 9/11' where the parent company didn't come out looking so good. Weinsteins did eventually sell the distribution rights but they were still involved using a new label, 'Fellowship Adventure Group.' The fact remains that Disney enjoys favorible deals/tax breaks on it's theme parks in Florida, governed by we all know who. In the past when controversial films have given Disney a headache like 'Kids' and 'Dogma,' Miramax handled the situations more professionally but here offcourse it was personal as Harvey is a known hardcore democrat.

Disney over the years has minimized the contributions Miramax has made but trade analysts have the number somewhere around $5 billion, Disney is in a no win situation. But most of the revenue has come from the 'Dimension' part of Miramax, reserved for more genre-type releases.

As you mentioned Oscar, you want MORE money to push MORE releases of MORE challenging films, so obviously one has to stop looking at Miramax, i think most people have already done that. Expect more Miramaxical products in the future like 'I'm not Scared' beautifully put down by Atkinson in Villiage Voice. Of all the challenging and origianl films at Cannes it was the british cringe-fest 'Dear Frankie' which was bought by Miramax. Expect more in the traditon of 'Barbarian Invasions,' 'Valentin,' and does anyone remember 'Jetlag.'

It's not all bleak, as Wellspring is on a tear. They are releasing 'The Brown Bunny' and 'GoodBye, Dragon Inn' in mere weeks of each other. First Run Features has such films as 'La Petite Lili' and 'Silent Waters', Palm Pictures is perhaps the best run of them all (I interned there last summer) and they have given us such challenging fares as 'Demonlover,' 'Time of the Wolf' and '29 Palms.'

What scares me personally is the fact that these above mentioned companies are not supported by a bigger giant and they can disappear in days, as this is exactly what happened to the likes of Shooting Gallery and Cowboy pictures. So pseudo-indie companies like Sony Pictures Classics, Paramount Classics, Fox Searchlight, Focus and the new Warner Independent Pictures (Before Sunset) are much more stable BUT they prefer their safer 10-20 million dollar american indies like '21 Grams' and 'Eternal Sunshine,' and the likes.

As I mentioend in another thread, in the past few years, foreign films have only accounted for around 3% of all releases here in the U.S, a very low #, more specifically french films count for only 20% of that so that makes it about 0.6% of all releases. That makes one wonder why Rivette's well admired 'Histoire de Marie et Julien' (one of the best i've seen this year) is still with-out a U.S distributer while money is being invested by U.S companies in Jeunet's next. Capitalism is at work here, no doubt, but there has to be a balance.

Also, a bad sign is the taste of american viewing public, and i'm not just talking about the masses, the art house crowds stayed away from the likes of 'Crimson Gold,' and 'Distant' and gladly accepted average fares like 'Monsieur Ibrahim' and 'Goodbye Lenin.'

oscar jubis
08-19-2004, 12:12 AM
Just what I needed. Thanks arsaib4. A single point of contention between us is your comment regarding audience taste in the US. I'm reluctant to start blaming the audience until films like Goodbye Dragon Inn and Crimson Gold are given a chance. A limited release with no print ads and no tv trailer is unacceptable as a tool to gauge audience taste. Films like this are often released in very few major markets, and mainstream media like "The New Yorker" barely acknowledge their existence, if they do at all. The abovementioned films are two of my favorites of 2004 but I've had to resort to importing dvds to watch them. (We do get to watch every French, Spanish, "gay interest" and "Jewish interest" release). A lot of Asian movies simply don't travel down here. Give us a chance, place an ad in the Herald, a short tv trailer on Thursday night and a review on the Friday paper. Then, blame the public when we stay away.

arsaib4
08-19-2004, 12:30 AM
Good point Oscar, but actually i've made similar suggestions here and at other forums. That's why i mentioned other films with the same companies behind them like 'Monsieur Ibrahim,' 'Goodby Lenin' and 'Bon Voyage,' films that did very well (as far as indie/foreign grosses go) with the same amount of exposure. The troubling thing is that these films do have something in common, they are very 'Miramaxical'.