PDA

View Full Version : THE JOKE (Zert) by Jaromil Jires

oscar jubis
08-17-2004, 08:47 AM
Jaromil Jires was born in in 1935 in Bratislava, Czechoslovakia. He attende FAMU, the state film academy in Prague, with contemporaries Ivan Passer and Milos Forman. After making a few shorts and experimenting with Magic Lantern shows, he directed his debut feature, The Cry, in 1963. The film aligned Jires with others who had caught the wave of liberalization surging through Czecholslovakia that allowed them to make films of daring and innovation. Influenced by both the subjectivity of the French New Wave and the documentary objectivity of cinema verite and Italian Neo-realism, the directors who became known as the Czech New Wave worked within these two influences.
Non-professional actors, improvised dialogue, gritty camera work, and keen observations of everyday life were combined with allegory and surreal content to produce highly personal filmmaking styles. The political climate opened up sufficiently to allow these films to be produced and released although the artists still faced official disapproval and controversy. At the same time they attracted international attention and acclaim.
The Cry was well received internationally but resulted in Jires being denied the opportunity to make a film for almost five years (Jires is said to have racked up the largest number of rejected scripts of any of the New Wave directors).

Finally in 1968, Jaromil Jires directed Ther Joke (Zert), with Milan Kundera writing an adaptation of his own novel reflecting his disillusionment with communism. The plot focuses on Ludvik, an embittered man who seeks revenge for an incident from his youth. He had sent a postcard to a prospective girlfriend in which he sarcastically responds to something she had said about Trotsky. The card fell into the hands of a student committee who failed to see its satiric tone. Ludvik is expelled from the party and the university, and further punished with prison, and years of forced labor. Fifteen years later, an accidental encounter with the wife of a key student leader provides the opportunity for revenge.
The film alternates nimbly between scenes from the past and present, utilizing frequent cross-cutting, and astutely placed snippets of voice-over narration. The denouement provides surprises at every turn. Eventually, Jires implicates everyone, including the protagonist.

The Joke was released in 1968, a turbulent year in Czech history. After a brief period of increased liberalization, the Soviets invaded Czechoslovakia, reestablishing a harsh regime. The film was banned and vanished from Jires' official filmography. (It has been restored and released on dvd in North America). Jaromil Jires went on to direct a highly allegorical film of great repute: Valerie and Her Week of Wonders, discussed by our contributor Johann as part of a Czech retrospective he attended.
www.filmwurld.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=4117#post4117

Johann
08-24-2004, 02:18 PM
Thanks for this informative post oscar.

Valerie and Her Week of Wonders is probably my favorite Czech film. (Closely Watched Trains is right behind it).

"Valerie" is amazing. I'm shouting to everyone here to track that film down. It's a gorgeous, gorgeous movie.

oscar jubis
08-26-2004, 02:11 AM
I plan to buy Valerie and Her Week of Wonders now that it's available on dvd. I've come to the realization that the films made in the 60s in Czechoslovakia compare well to the much better known films of the Nouvelle Vague. Based on extensive research, I've come up with a dozen titles that constitute a primer on the Czech New Wave. This list is by no means exhaustive. Moreover, it does not include any films made in the past thirty years or films made by Czech directors abroad. No particular order. *dvd, ~vhs.

*CLOSELY WATCHED TRAINS (Jiri Menzel)

~LARKS ON A STRING (Menzel)

*THE SHOP ON MAIN STREET (Jan Kadar)

*DAISIES (Vera Chytilova)

-ABOUT SOMETHING ELSE (Chytilova)

*LOVES OF A BLONDE (Milos Forman)

*FIREMAN'S BALL (Forman)

*BLACK PETER (Forman)

~THE REPORT ON THE PARTY AND THE GUESTS (Jan Nemec)

~DIAMONDS OF THE NIGHT (Jan Nemec)

*THE JOKE (Jaromil Jires)

*VALERIE AND HER WEEK OF WONDERS (Jires)

arsaib4
08-26-2004, 04:56 PM
Jan Kadar's The Shop on Main Street is probably my favorite from the list above, but Kadar's best film in my opinion was his last, Touha zvaná Anada(Adrift) released in 1971 (a little late due to the Russian invasion of Czechoslovakia) about a fisherman who saves a young girl from drowning and how his life is affected afterwards.

oscar jubis
08-26-2004, 07:50 PM
Hard to figure out how much of Adrift was actually directed by Kadar, who moved to the USA in '68 when shooting was halted by the Soviet invasion. Elmar Klos resumed shooting (and post-production of course) in 1970. I've read a plot sinopsis of this film, which reminds me a bit of Polanski's Knife in the Water in terms of the premise: the effect of a mysterious stranger on a married couple. I wonder if there's any political subtext to it. Will do more research. Is the film available on home video anywhere?

arsaib4
08-26-2004, 10:38 PM
In fact 'The Shop on Main Street' was co-directed by Elmar Klos along with some other films but for 'Adrift,' Kadar got the sole credit as a director, Klos has a screenwriting credit(All Movie Guide). For a long time now there's been some animosity between the two republics (Czech and Slovak) regarding which country exactly do the films belong to because Klos is a Czech while Kadar is a Slovak. As for the film I'd say there is more of a sexual subtext than a political one. Repression and Jealousy also come in to play because the fisherman starts longing for the girl and becomes jealous as other men approach her, all this while his own wife is on a sick bed. The film is available through Facets.

oscar jubis
08-27-2004, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by arsaib4
In fact 'The Shop on Main Street' was co-directed by Elmar Klos along with some other films but for 'Adrift,' Kadar got the sole credit as a director

IMDb lists Klos and Kandar as co-directors of both films. An essay at sensesofcinema indicates that Kandar was primarily in charge of shooting the film and directing the actors whereas Klos was mostly in charge of editing and montage. Kadar couldn't possibly get sole directing credit for Adrift because he left for America in '68 before shooting was completed.

For a long time now there's been some animosity between the two republics (Czech and Slovak) regarding which country exactly do the films belong to because Klos is a Czech while Kadar is a Slovak.

Highly interesting controversy. Take Shop on Main Street. It's based on a novel by Ladislav Grosman, a Czech Jew, and produced by a Czech company, Barrandov Studios. But it's set in Slovakia, with Slovakian dialogue and most of the cast is Slovakian (except for the Russian actress playing Mrs. Lautmanova).

arsaib4
08-27-2004, 01:13 AM
Originally posted by oscar jubis
An essay at sensesofcinema indicates that Kandar was primarily in charge of shooting the film and directing the actors whereas Klos was mostly in charge of editing and montage.

Yes, that was the case with most of their films and in general that's what the article is referring to. Still from whatever info i've gathered, Adrift seems to be 'credited' to Kandar alone even though Klos was in charge of some areas. I am trying to look into it but it's hard to find anything.

Facets has a decent collection from the new wave but it doesn't compare to what this canadian site has,

http://www.videoelcanada.com