PDA

View Full Version : Politics continued

stevetseitz
08-18-2004, 03:52 PM
The Iraq War debate will go on whether the moderators of this forum wish it to or not. Perhaps not in this forum, but the battle will rage on.

In summary, I have provided facts. I have provided names. I have provided dates. I have provided locations. I have provided specific events.

My opponents have provided cynicism, skepticism, and sarcasm. You will note that they have NO facts.

All they can respond to confirmed facts is "I don't believe it."

Fine. Who cares what you wish to believe? The facts are a much better set of criteria by which to make a decision.

The opponents of the war have been disingenuous from the start about their motives.

I can think of no reason other than ignorant racism that the opponents of the war in Iraq oppose freedom and democracy for millions of Iraqis.

pmw
08-18-2004, 04:28 PM
The closing of the previous thread on this site was not an attempt to stem the larger debate on Iraq. This site is a major force in American politics ;> but perhaps not quite that powerful. Nor was it a left or right action. There was ample space for everyone involved in the conversation to express themselves, which they did with conviction and vigor.

But as the conversation turned vitriolic and personal attacks replaced constructive dialogue, it became clear that it wasn't really going anywhere positive (not to mention, "new"). And so it became a dialogue better suited to the individuals involved by whatever other means (email) they wish to conduct it.

That's it. As a moderator, I don't act for one "side" or the other, but out of the overall interest of the site. And while I am thrilled about the dialouge and hosting it, I can't be personally involved in mitigating posts that go out of the way to attack other users (which happened on all sides of this last debate).

Alas, this is our plight as citizens. A dialogue is only as effective as the respect the participants can show for the existence of a different opinion.

I appreciate everyone's input and enthusiasm, regardless of political ilk, and onward we go...

P