PDA

View Full Version : Clive Barker

Johann
08-19-2004, 05:55 PM
I wanted to post about one of my favorite authors: Clive Barker.

There are few writers of fiction these days who impress me. I don't read a lot of fiction, but everytime I read Barker, I feel God.

Clive Barker is not just a writer of novels. He paints and he directs films.

His filmography:

Salome (1973)
The Forbidden (1978)
Hellraiser (1987)
Nightbreed (1990)
Lord of Illusions (1995)

He's got another script ready for a green-light: Midnight Meat Train, and he's always writing.
His action figure lines for Todd McFarlane's toy company are works of art. His latest line of figures is called The Infernal Parade.

I'm sure there are some people on these boards who've seen Hellraiser. Hellraiser is a classic horror film and it still holds up since it's appearance 17 years ago. Pinhead and co. have had their stories extended in sequels, and Barker has said that he will conclude the mythology very soon.

To me, like The Shining, Barker's work is art to me, not horror. I don't get scared when I read his books or watch his films. I smile- with as much demonic glee as he must have when he writes them.

He wrote a killer creepy novel 3 years ago set in Hollywood
(where he lives): Cold Heart Canyon. I recommend it with unabashed praise. Clive Barker is a genius.

His influences are not bad: William Blake, Jean Cocteau and Shakespeare. He says he loves to take readers to dark places, and he certainly succeeds in my view.