Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The Best of 2005 - A Future Look

The Best of 2005 - A Future Look

A number of somewhat promising movies are set for a 2005 release. 2005 doesn't seem to quite have the magic as 2004 though. But mark your calendars for:

02/11/05: Constantine. Keanu Reeves tries his hand at superhero status.

02/18/05: The Interpreter. Nicole Kidman and Sean Penn team up in an assassination thriller.

03/11/05: Robots. An animated version of Ice Age but with Robots.

03/11/05: Sound of Thunder. Another Time Travel movie but with more adventure.

03/18/05: Cinderella Man. Based on a true story of a boxer, Russell Crowes tries a different character this time.

04/01/05: Sin City. A star-studded crime drama (perhaps trying to play off of the success of "Traffic").

06/03/05: The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants. Sleeper movie of romance and adventure.

06/03/05: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. The most unusual and perhaps one of the more riskier attempts at adaptation of an odd sci fi novel onto the big screen.

09/16/05: A Scanner Darkly. Keanu Reeves tries another sci fi vehicle.

09/30/05: Jarhead. A war movie that's more personal.

11/04/05: American Gangster. Denzel Washington and Benicio Del Toro star in this story about a real heroin kingpin.

11/23/05: The Brothers Grimm. A darker more serious fairy tale.

12/02/05: The Great Raid. Another Attempt at a war rescue movie.

12/21/05: The Producers. Can the Broadway actors recreate the magic?

12/25/05: The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe.

I'm glossing over Star Wars & Harry Potter this year.

I was looking for The Interpreter to come out later this year for awards qualification but i guess not. Hopefully it will live up to the expectations.

American Gangster and The Brothers Grimm sound interesting.

Episode III of Star Wars has been relegated to a cursory must-see. We'll all see it, even though we know it'll be the same sfx garbage Lucas has given us with the other two..

I'm seeing it to support Ewan McGregor, and I hope the big finale light-sabre duel with Anakin justifies my ticket.

The Chronicles of Narinia has already been done, hasn't it?
    BBC?

The Kidman/Sean Penn thriller also sounds promising.

Sin City is a Frank Miller comic book- is the film based on Miller?
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

Batman?? anyone......

Oh don't worry about Bats- it'll be number one in my book.
    Nolan can do no wrong now that he's given us a wicked trailer and the reassurance of Bale's presence.

He's gonna make all those other Batmans look like rejects from the audition.
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

Brice Guest
    Don't forget:
    Responsible Homeless
    A Dark Comedy about Homelessness, Drug Addiction, Sex, Politics and Cinnamon Rolls.

An Adequate But Not Spectacular 2005

Memoirs of a Geisha (12/9/05) has the elements of Oscar about it, except for its Japanese and Chinese cast.

So far 2005 has been a decent but not spectacular movie year with the usual comedy romances, occult movies and the like. Yet it becomes harder and harder for movies to outdo the past year and the standards just like gymnastics become ever more difficult to adjust and modify. What I've notice is an incremental improvement in the quality and substance of movies overall...making small improvements in the material, blending the comedy/drama elements better and introducing more darker European tones into American movies. Overall, however, there doesn't seem to be any breakout, super blockbuster movies that will generate the excitement of last year.

Hopefully the first part of Theo Angelopolous's Trilogy: The Weeping Meadow, will be officially released here in the US.

Nobody Knows is the film I'm most looking forward to, just released here, I'll probably get to it next weekend.

I watched Nobody Knows at the MIFF. I posted a review on the Festival's thread (in case you'd like to read it).

Sin City is indeed based upon Miller's fantastic graphic novels. The film is co-directed by Robert Rodriguez and Miller himself. Rodriguez actually resigned from the Director's Guild so that Miller could have credit as a director.

Chronicles of Narnia is going to be a visual feast solely because Weta Workshop is doing what it did with LOTR and bringing the universe to startling reality.
    "So I'm a heel, so what of it?"
    --Renaldo the Heel, from Crimewave

[QUOTE]Originally posted by wpqx
    Hopefully the first part of Theo Angelopolous's Trilogy: The Weeping Meadow, will be officially released here in the US.[quote]

I hope so too, although, Artificial-Eye released the film theatrically in the U.K. in January so expect their DVD in either May or June.

A Scanner Darkly is going to be interesting due to its Waking Life style animation. Linklater directs, of course.
    "So I'm a heel, so what of it?"
    --Renaldo the Heel, from Crimewave

I didn't care for Constantine (1.5/4) - Too much emphasis on special f/x, not enough on story.

I've seen sixteen 2005 movies so far and not a good one yet. Let's hope the year gets better (they always do).

Here's a list of the 2005 movies I've seen so far (in order):

** (out of 4)
    01) Hitch
    02) Dave Barry's Complete Guide to Guys
    03) Coach Carter
    04) Elektra
    05) Assault on Precinct 13
    06) Racing Stripes

*1/2
    07) White Noise
    08) Hide and Seek
    09) Into the Sun
    10) Elaan
    11) Constantine
    12) Are We There Yet?
    13) PTU File Deathtrap

* (lowest rating)
    14) Alone in the Dark
    15) Son of the Mask
    16) Boogeyman (Worst movie in years...I was cussing at the screen by the end)

Originally posted by SinjinSB
    Here's a list of the 2005 movies I've seen so far (in order):

** (out of 4)
    01) Hitch
    02) Dave Barry's Complete Guide to Guys
    03) Coach Carter
    04) Elektra
    05) Assault on Precinct 13
    06) Racing Stripes

*1/2
    07) White Noise
    08) Hide and Seek
    09) Into the Sun
    10) Elaan
    11) Constantine
    12) Are We There Yet?
    13) PTU File Deathtrap

* (lowest rating)
    14) Alone in the Dark
    15) Son of the Mask
    16) Boogeyman (Worst movie in years...I was cussing at the screen by the end)
    Geez, did you walk in thinking that they were gonna be any good? What happened to your radar? May be you're the kind of person who sees anything that's playing....

I'm also gonna assume that you don't watch foreign/Indie films, right?

Originally posted by arsaib4

Geez, did you walk in thinking that they were gonna be any good? What happened to your radar? May be you're the kind of person who sees anything that's playing....

I'm also gonna assume that you don't watch foreign/Indie films, right?
    Why would you assume that? I watch hundreds of movies every year...there just hasn't been any good ones yet this year. I had hoped that Dave Barry's movie would be good, I actually paid $17.50 to see it at the Santa Barbara International Film Festival. The only other one on that list I paid money for was $5.50 for Hide and Seek because some friends invited me to go with them to see it.

Actually, 2 of the last three films I watched today were foreign films (and two of the movies on my 2005 list are foreign...Elaan and PTU File).

In reverse order here are the movies I watched over the last 8 days (there's a few more than average because I just had a 3-day weekend and it has been raining non-stop):

It Happened One Night (1935) -3/4
    The House of Flying Daggers (2004) -3/4
    Osama (2003) - 3/4
    The Notebook (2004) - 3/4
    Wuthering Heights (2004) - 3/4
    Chasing Liberty (2004) - 2/4
    Motorcycle Diaries (2004) - 3.5/4
    David Copperfield (1935) - 3/4
    Constantine (2004) - 1.5/4
    Breakfast at Tiffany's - (1961) - 3/4
    Blackball (2003) - 1.5/4
    The Great Escape (1963) - 3.5/4
    Red River (1948) - 3.5/4
    It Could Happen to You (1994) - 2.5/4
    Hotel Rwanda (2004) - 3.5/4
    Veronica Guerin (2003) - 3/4
    The Bells of St. Mary's (1945) - 3.5/4
    Layer Cake (2004) - 2.5/4
    On-Bak (2003) - 2.5/4
    The Birds (1963) - 4/4
    Garage Days (2002) - 2.5/4
    Elaan (2005) - 1.5/4
    Kill Bill Vol. 2 (2004) - 3/4
    Silent Movie (1976) - 2.5/4
    Foul Play (1978) - 3/4

Out of 25 movies, at least 9 of them are foreign (not sure if Veronica Guerin is considered foreign). Not sure what the point is. There are good foreign films (like House of Flying Daggers, Osama, Motorcycle Diaries, Hotel Rwanda), mediocre foreign films (like Layer Cake, Garage Days, On-Bak) , and bad foreign films (like Blackball and Elaan). Same goes for 'Indie' films or any other genre of film. To assume that I don't watch them for some reason is silly.

Early in the year not many good movies get released. I knew most of them weren't going to be good. I was really hoping Dave Barry's movie would be a little better. I'm a Daredevil fan (the comic not the movie that much), so I had to see Elektra. I was interested in seeing Assault on Precinct 13, but had low expectations because I didn't care that much for the original. My friend's asked me to go to Hide and Seek...and who knew with the quality actors, that one would be SO bad. Really the only two I regret wasting my time on were Alone in the Dark and Boogeyman. The rest are just filler til the good movies start coming out.

Like they said in 'The Odd Couple', you should never assume because it makes an ass out of u and me!

Don't blame me for no good movies coming out! I've been counteracting it by watching a lot of good 2004 releases that I missed first run...and have been catching quite a few classics on TCM's 31 Day tribute to the Oscars.

Peace,
    Andrew

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast