Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: The Best of 2005 - A Future Look

Originally posted by SinjinSB

Why would you assume that? I watch hundreds of movies every year...
    Well, you can't assume that I know your viewing habits. I was just going by your post above with an extraordinary # of bad films in a short amount of time.
    It'd be nice if you discuss some of the other films you've seen.
    Last edited by arsaib4; 02-22-2005 at 01:43 AM.

Originally posted by arsaib4

Well, you can't assume that I know your viewing habits. I was just going by your post above with an extraordinary # of bad films in a short amount of time.
    It'd be nice if you discuss some of the other films you've seen.
    That's exactly my point...I wouldn't assume you know my viewing habits, yet you assumed that you did know them (by assuming that I don't watch foreign or indie films). If you wanted to know, you just had to ask. I've seen close to 100 movies in the last two months (more than usual thanks to a lot of rainy weather keeping me indoors), just because the 16 new movies have all sucked, doesn't mean the other 75 or so aren't any better...and definitely no reason to assume I don't watch whole genres of film (especially when those genres are represented on my list). I watch a wide range of movies from all genres...some good, some mediocre, some bad. If anything, it may make me a more well rounded student of film as compared to someone who only watched good foriegn indie movies. If nothing else, the bad movies makes you appreciate the good ones a little bit more. Plus sometimes I'm in the mood for a silly comedy or a mindless action flick...though granted, I'm never in the mood for the likes of Boogeyman!

I'd be happy to discuss other movies I've seen in another more appropriate thread. Since this is a thread about 2005 movies, I had posted about 2005 movies. Are there any movies in particular you'd like to hear my thoughts on?

Originally posted by SinjinSB

That's exactly my point...I wouldn't assume you know my viewing habits, yet you assumed that you did know them (by assuming that I don't watch foreign or indie films).
    I repeat, I was only going by your post earlier, and I did ask, that's why I ended with "right?" My intentions were harmless, you're getting a little over-excited here. You probably know where I stand but since you're only posting here sporadically that's why I wasn't sure. There are many many threads here on indie/foreign films, some by me, so I hope you find the time to add to them.

Trailer for Scanner Darkly is out. If you've seen Constantine then you've already viewed it with pleasure.

http://www.ifilm.com/ifilmdetail/2665143?htv=12

Looks amazing. I trust Linklater to do a good job. But at this point, is Phillip K. Dick ever going to be put to rest in Hollywood?
    "So I'm a heel, so what of it?"
    --Renaldo the Heel, from Crimewave

Thanks for the link, HorseradishTree. The trailer looks good. I would've preferred Ethan Hawke over Keanu Reeves (especially in a Linklater film) but we'll see. We also have two controversial figures here in Ryder and Downey. Jr, can't wait!

Anyone read The DaVinci Code?

It tells about the Priory of Sion (of which Jean Cocteau was a grand master, FYI) and how DaVinci and others (Victor Hugo, Isaac Newton, etc..) were keepers of the secret of the Holy Grail.

It turns Christianity on it's ear, and it was a book I read in about 6 hours straight through. The Grail was never a chalice according to the Priory of Sion.

Dan Brown crafts a riveting read (he tells us everything as though we are children who need everything carefully explained) & it's based on accurate documents/facts. Brown surrounds them with a nifty murder mystery.

The book is easy to see as a bestseller- it's written simply, with very short chapters- I read it fast, you'll read it fast.
    You should like the part about Jesus' daughter... yes, he had a daughter, and you'll never guess who the mother is...

The film version of the novel is in production with Tom Hanks as Langdon and directed by Ron Howard- maybe a Christmas release?
    Last edited by Johann; 02-23-2005 at 11:33 AM.
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

Sin City trailer out - WOW!

Sin City trailer that came with The Man of the House was a really sizzling trailer with black and white and color montage - like one of those Gatorade commercial colored effects. This movie has original written all over it - it's a Kill Bill Vol. 1 with comic book style of the 50s. This is stylistic crime/comic strip brought to life with harsh sharp shadows and dramatic hype. This is sort of Who Frame Roger Rabbit? grown up with the humans in charge of all of the action this time - for mature audiences.

Other Intriguing Movies

A few more lesser known films that sound intriguing:

The Girl From Monday. A science fiction, drama-comedy.

Loggerheads. A female driven drama.

Loverboy. One of the those all-star casts, female drama.

Marilyn Hotchkiss' Ballroom Dancing and Charm School. A solid cast about unrequitted love. Supposedly a musical, comedy, romance combination.

Nine Lives. Another solid cast. A female driven drama.

Proof. A tough sounding drama with Gwyneth Paltrow and Anthony Hopkins.

Shakespeare Behind Bars. Documentary about prison inmates playing Shakespeare.

Sounds of Thunder. A hopefully standard-setting time travel movie that can rise above the rest.

Strangers with Candy. A solid cast with a comedy script.

So, why did Sean Penn defended Jude Law at the Oscars? It might have something to do with this.

More Likely Quality Movies of 2005

A few more movies have come up to be on the look out for:

June 10, 2005 - Heights. Sounds something like the English version of After Life (1998) a Japanses movie look at a way station before going on after day. Heights may not be quite as ethereal but sounds like it has some of the same components. Glenn Close and Isabella Rossellini have starring roles.

June 29, 2005 - War of the Worlds. Remake of the classic starring Tom Cruise. Has to be billed as a hoped for blockbuster hitting close to July 4. As they say - an eye candy movie.

July 15, 2005 - Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Remake of the odd original. With Johnny Depp in the lead role, this risky movie requires holding one's breath. Another extension of Depp's acting performances.

July 22, 2005 - The Island. This science fiction cloning themed movie could go either way as an action-thriller or a more serious, qualitative movie.

July 29, 2005 - The Brothers Grimm. The Terry Gilliam vehicle could be the strange sleeper of the year with his usual twisting, dark motiff.

September 16, 2005 - Syriana. Falcon and the Snowman revisited? A strong cast, timely spy thriller based premise has possibilities for a strong outcome.

September 23, 2005 - Tim Burton's Corpse Bride. A Burton Holloween entry...another strange but intriguing children's movie.

December 9, 2005 - Memoirs of a Geisha. A beautiful, mysterious sounding movie with a strong Japanese bent directed by Rob Marshall. Likely Oscar contender but limited by its predominatly Asian cast.

December 21, 2005 - Zathura. An intriquing spin off of Jimanji with Tim Robbins starring. The timing of the movie suggest a hoped for large Holiday turnout and like Polar Express.

December 25, 2005 - The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion Witch and the Wardrobe. The popular children's book series comes to the big screen.

I'm personally looking forward to Steamboy, the new animated project from the director of the classic Akira. The trailer looks amazing and smooth. Look for it this spring...
    "So I'm a heel, so what of it?"
    --Renaldo the Heel, from Crimewave

Playing Against The Odds

Cinderella Man. While a strong contender for awards, this movie has to survive, been there, done that with The Million Dollar Baby movie from last year. It's like Moulin Rouge (loser) and Chicago (winner the next year) in reverse in terms of awards. I haven't been a Russell Crowe fan since Gladiator received so much hype, but his role in A Beautiful Mind helped to redeemed a lot of my reservations.

Kingdom of Heaven. While Ridley is deserving of greatness, can this historic piece really gather much of a following considering Troy and Alexander from last year?

All the King's Men. Except for the all-star cast, does anybody really care?

Jarhead. Intriguing sniper concept, continuing war interest theme. But this movie would have to have more than just military war action to become anything more than just a good Black hawk Down movie.

King Kong. Curious, but we've all seen dozens of this. A real literally tall order.

The New World. Another historical piece. The trailers look sharp and raw. A Colonial and new world meets old world (a real terrestial alien invasion) may capture some interest, but A Cold Mountain revision it doesn't seem to be...more of a Saving Private Ryan caliber but with a duel perspective.

Oliver Twist. Old classic. Another rivival?

The Producers. Can magic strike again? Moulin Rouge. Chicago. Another musical? By it's very nature, its an uphill battle.

Walk The Line. Another biopic. Iffy. Bobby Darin didn't make it. Can Johnny Cash?

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is gonna be a kid's movie thru and thru. Johnny said he wanted to play Willy Wonka for his children, so we can expect child-like Burton zaniness that should be better than those Harry Potter movies which I don't like.
    The trailer is interesting- a wee bit psychedelic, no?
    Fine by me!

I saw the trailer for Cinderella Man at million dollar baby.
    It looks excellent. I'll probably go see it because I will watch just about anything with Renee Zellweger.
    It looks like another "Oscar Movie"- from the award-winning team that brought you A Beautiful Mind- Academy Award Winner Russell Crowe! Academy Award Winner Renee Zellweger!
    Academy Award Winner Ron Howard!

Doesn't the above sound ridiculous next to Academy Award Nominee Martin Scorsese?
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

Mysterious May

Like Mysterious Skin (opening May 6, 2005), the coming month is replete with more questions than answers when it comes to movies.

Kingdom of Heaven (opening May 6, 2005), if not for all of last years historical epic dramas, this movie by Ridley Scott might have been able to draw more interest. But as I mentioned last month, Troy and Alexander have both really stretched the public for another attempt. Braveheart...Excaliber...King Arthur...While lavishly shot with good action...can this movie really distinguish itself from all of the rest and is the public really wanting to see another movie like this?

The upcoming last Star Wars movie installment coming out later in May would seemingly be sucking out most of the attention of the public.

Mindhunters (opening May 13, 2005), is a combination variation of the theme of law enforcement, special ops, and horror (one person being picked off at a time), just another in a series of thrillers with a twist. Nothing however, suggests, anything more than moderate audience appeal - considering so many of this year's mind-boggling onslaught of horror movies.

Monster in Law (opening May 13, 2005) has an uncertain future just considering the name of the movie, yet with Jane Fonda in the movie, this movie has the potential of being a big bomb or something distinctively a cut above as a comedy. This romantic comedy has the possibility of becoming one of those easily forgettable movies or the standout piece of its genre for the year.

Star Wars - (opening May 19, 2005) from the trailer this much more darker, deeper sequel or prequel might possibly draw in a sizeable crowd from the movie critic, movie fans, and general public though surprisingly the interest in the youngest demographic remains a mystery. This layered visual experience with serious, grown-up overtones may reach more of the adult crowd and curiousity of how it ties up with the original movie will help. This movie has technical Oscar awards all over it.

Madagascar (opening May 27, 2005) the second big animation/cartoon (to distinguish it from Sin City) movie of the year after Robots...continuing the use of sophisticated animation technology. But considering all that has gone before, this movie has it work cut out for it (work that it might not be up to).

Overall, the month of May seems more of low expectation month, except for Star Wars, continuing the drought of "really great" movies this year. June, appears to be filled with more entertainment, eye-candy movies - but nevertheless a crowd-pleasing if not substantially intelligent one (except for of course, Cinderella Man and The War of the Worlds). The Japanese "Howl's Moving Castle" offers some break in the bland outpouring of summer movies.

Originally posted by tabuno
    The Japanese "Howl's Moving Castle" offers some break in the bland outpouring of summer movies.

Having already seen the two masterpieces coming to theatres this summer courtesy of Sony Pictures Classics:
    Ingmar Bergman's Saraband -July 8th and
    Wong Kar Wai's 2046- August 5th,
    Hayao Miyazaki's Howl's Moving Castle is the summer movie I can't wait to watch. It's being released in two versions: original Japanese language with subtitles, and a dubbed version starring Christian Bale as Howl, Billy Crystal as Calcifer, and Lauren Bacall as the Witch of the Waste.
    The Brothers Grimm, Corpse Bride, and King Kong also look promising.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast