Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: The Best of 2005 - A Future Look

I appreciate that. Certainly, there are some I'm more keen on than others, even though, it's possible that I may end up watching all of them one way or the other. But I think it's better not to say too much about a film early on, so factual info that may help someone is the best way to go.

The World

Opening July 1 in New York (a movie I not be able to see in Utah), The World, an Asian dramatic film has a compelling storyline about workers at a theme park, a movie within a theme park has an almost surrealistic experience of actors within a larger stage. Sounds intriguing.

The World is one film I'm looking forward to more than any other. It's directed by Jia Zhang-ke, one of the most significant and talented young filmmakers in the world today. Howard has reviewed the film. You might not be able to see The World right away, but check out Zhang-ke second feature called Platform (some patience is required). It will be available on DVD soon. More info here.

Trailer

Peter Jackson's KING KONG.

King Kong Trailer

I recently saw a trailer for the King Kong remake. I found the trialer a compilation of what the film industry has produced before - action, disaster, horror - dinosaurs vs. monsters, Jurassic Park. I didn't see anything particularly interesting about the trailer - anything new, nor anything compelling about putting bits and pieces of other movies into a King Kong format storyline. I'm not sure that this movie will really spark much interest in particular (though perhaps those people who haven't seen the original might have some curiousity - but even Might Joe Young (1998) seemed more intimately and creatively better without having to resort to a lots of special effects about a grab back of everything.

Re: King Kong

Talk about a lack of originality, I mean can you believe the sheer audacity, they even had the cheek to have yet another giant ape in it! LOL

This has got Ron's name written all over it!

Cheers Trev.
    The more I learn the less I know.

Days of Thunder Set for September 2, 2005

Days of Thunder earlier reported to be released March 11, 2005 had been finally set for September 2, 2005. With a reported $80 million budgeted sci-fi time travel movie produced back in 2002, this movie cames belated on the theatrical scene after various other time-travel movies had made their debut, including The Butterfly Effect (2004), Timeline (2003). The Time Machine (2002). This 2005 time travel movie has at is core the essence of the paradox and dilemma of changing the past based on Ray Bradbury's short story. Hopefully being based on a serious science fiction legend, this movie will have a substantive quality that will allow it to become one of the classics of its sub-genre.

Corpses' Bride opeing September 23, 2005

Tim Burton's production of Corpse's Bride sounds like on of the oddest movies of this year and has the possibility of capturing a rather eclectic demographic movie going base since is its both children's, fantasy, comedy, animated feature about marrying a resurrected corpse who expects to be loved. Release date September 23, 2005.

A History of Violence coming September 30, 2005

With two up and coming performers, Viggo Mortensen, Maria Bello along with Ed Harris and William Hurt, this David Cronenberg film regarding mobsters and a couple whose husband thwarts a robbery may be a sleeper of a movie this year. Opening in limited release at the end of September.

Can Last Quarter Save 2005?

The fall leading to winter is the traditional time when quality movies are generally released. Can October, November, and December save this dismal box office year?

October: Besides a popular animated/stop action feature film, the required Halloween horror movie, and a romantic comedy, as well as a tentatively schedule Zorro sequel, three movies have potential.

October 21 - Dreamer: Another been there done that movie much like Cinderella Man (or Kingdom of Heaven) that came out recently, this time about horse racing (remember Sea Biscuit, Alexander, Troy). A possibly good movie with unfortunate bad timing.

Expanding release dates - Strangers with Candy: Another intimate drama with a decent cast with independent film quality about a women trying to start over, along with a severely ill father.

TBA - Elizabethtown has a shot at becoming more than a nice drama. A drama about second chances with Cameron Crowe directing Orlando Bloom, Kirsten Dunst, and Susan Sarandon, this quality looking film has the elements to produce.

November: Has a romantic comedy, another comic movie tentatively scheduled, of course Harry Potter:

November 9: The New World with Colin Farrell is a historical epic sleeper that has the look and the uniqueness of its genre hitting on a historical era not covered recently except perhaps for animated movies like Pocahontas (1995). This movie is likely to do well.

November 11: Jarhead a contemporary war movie, perhaps like Black Hawk Down. Should do well.

November 11: Movie adaptation of the staged musical Rent. Attempting to capture the musical successes of Moulin Rouge and Chicago, this more contemporary musical has the ability to capture different audience populations. More risky, likely not has successful, but decent especially with the young adult crowd, an important demographic.

November 23: Zathura - a semi-sequel to Jamanji - with outworldly features. A strong family movie.

December: Has another action/horror movie that has become a tradition the last decade it seems, a dead on arrival King Kong (one of the bombs of the year), another ethnic comedy, Fun with Dick and Jane a sort of Bonnie and Clyde with more humor contemporary update,

December 9: Naria - likely one of the best children's movies of the year for its brilliant cinematography - sort of Lord of the Rings for childen.

December 9: Memoirs of a Geisha supposedly one of those expected to nominated for movie awards.

Expanding Release - Brokeback Mountain - one of those independent attempts at an Oscar nomination with a quality director and strong cast but not the most popular storyline for audience interest.

December 21: Rumor Has It - romantic comedy, a parody on The Graduate that will see if Kevin Costner has anything left (a good timeslot).

October looks bleak, November looks strong, and December seems marginal. Overall, only November has a good chance of pumping up the boxoffice, but overall the movie industry has no real chance of doing better than last year. The only question is how much will the loss be?

Hey Tabuno, maybe you should let PJ know that King Kong is gonna bomb so he can stop wasting time and effort on it. Tell you what, I'd love to make a bet with you as to whether it'll bomb or not!

Cheers Trev.
    The more I learn the less I know.

I'm One of Those Good Non-Mormon, Mormons

Trevor826: I have sort of an identity crisis in Utah where there are a lot of Mormons around. They don't belive in gambling and making wagers thought a number of them do seem to sneak out to Nevada and Idaho at times. But even though I'm not Mormon, I happen by coincidence ended up a non-smoker and resist when I can alcohol and making wagers. But I can provide non-religious moral support to your King Kong cause.

Trevor, Tab and I discussed King Kong's prospects on this thread (top of page 3, check it out). Tab, when you call King Kong "one of the bombs of the year", your cred goes out the window. Even if the film ends up not making a spash at the b.o., I'm sure it'll be worth watching.
    If the film sucks and few see it, I'll sneak you into Nevada for some fun at my expense :))

King Kong - Two Strike Outs So Far

There's only one pitch left for King Kong (1995). The first strike was the idea of re-making King Kong in the first place. It's been done before in 1976 directed by John Guillermin
    of "The Blue Max" (1966) fame. The second strike was the trailer that was pretty awful. So we're down to the last and final pitch, the actual movie. Let's hope the movie is a lot better than the trailer.

The trailer reminded me of Spielberg's remake of "War of the Worlds" where it's apparent that the industry and directors have begun to run out of ideas and now have resorted to throwing in a lot of past scenes from past movies to keep the action and audience interest going. At least the War of the World's trailers were good.

I think I'd much rather to go Disney World than Nevada.

Grimm

I was looking forward to Terry Gilliam's The Brothers Grimm and still am, but just relecently came across this not so good report on IMDB.

Gilliam's Rage at Weinstein Takeover:

"Twelve Monkeys director Terry Gilliam is furious with movie moguls Harvey Weinstein and Bob Weinstein for scrapping his ideas and undermining his authority during filming of his new Matt Damon movie The Brothers Grimm. The powerful pair first ditched Gilliam's plans to cast Samantha Morton in the lead role in favor of lesser known actress Lena Headey, and then further enraged the former Monty Python star by sacking his cinematographer Nicola Pecorini for working too slowly. Tensions escalated to the extent that Gilliam refused to shoot for two weeks as he was so staggered by what he viewed as the Weinsteins' constant interference. He fumes, "I'm used to riding roughshod over executives, but the Weinsteins rode roughshod over me." But Bob Weinstein insists, "Any film involves the making of 10,000 decisions. If you only concentrate on the few we had issues with, you ignore the 9,997 we left to totally to Terry."

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast