Thread: THX-1138 Director's Cut

THX-1138 Director's Cut

Yes, I broke down and bought it. And no, Lucas hasn't ruined it.

I love this film because it reveals the true creativity behind the rise of George Lucas. Just as the evil, uncompromising Darth Vader once was brave, clever Anakin Skywalker, so too was George Lucas a visionary and talented filmmaker before he became the bloated and cliched writer/director/emperor of Skywalker Ranch.

This film stretches the requirements of narrative film and requires patience and imagination on the part of the viewer.

In those days, less was more. The restraints of set and effects limitations actually squeezed more creativity from the director, writer and actors.

Why is this?

It makes me think of how difficult and painstaking the art of fresco is and how Michelangelo planned and executed the painting of the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel.

Now, with unlimited colors and any imaginable tool a mouse click away, artists can create images of anything they can conceive without limitations.

But there is only one Sistine Chapel.

I think THX-1138 is a masterpiece of sorts.

Is this the dvd Steve? Im looking forward to getting my hands on it. What are the extras like? Funny how early work is often the best. Money/professional accomplishment can make a man fat...
    P

Great review

THX-1138 is Lucas' best film.
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

Re: Great review

Originally posted by Johann
    THX-1138 is Lucas' best film.
    I like THX1138 and I look forward to getting my copy in the mail any day now. But favorite film by Lucas is American Graffiti.

THX-1138

Yeah it's the DVD "The George Lucas Director's Cut"

The extras are pretty good. so far I have watched one of two documentaries. It has a great interview with Frank Darabont and some interesting stories from Francis Ford Copolla, Robert Duvall.

It also has "Electronic Labyrinth THX 1138 4EB" on it which is Lucas' actual student film. Weird, wild and wacky stuff as Johnny Carson would say. I had to tear apart my home theater so my current speaker set-up leaves a lot to be desired. I look forward to checking out Walter Murch's work in glorious 5.1 when I get my sh!t together and set everything up properly.

Most theaters wouldn't show it, so it premiered in my area at the local drive-in, where I watched it with my girlfriend. Surprisingly, I ended up watching the movie that night and have enjoyed it ever since. I believe that as a director, Lucas's best film was "Star Wars." As a producer, "Raiders of the Lost Arc." As a film student, his project "THX-1138" was very unique for its time. Having been accepted myself to the USC film school in 1976, I considered it a coup over contemporaries like Spielberg, who was denied admission three times. I guess he showed them. Personally, I wished I had enrolled at UCLA. There were prettier girls in Westwood.
    Colige suspectos semper habitos

California girls

USC and UCLA both have pretty girls!