I wrote the following brief review for my school newspaper, but then decided that, just for you guys, I would eventually go into greater detail of each film. So, for now, I'll give you this as an overview, and later, individual studies.

In light of the revival of chop-socky flicks, thanks to Quentin Tarantino, I found it necessary to look back upon what inspired such a film as Kill Bill. While the 26 Zatoichi films might have been a prime example (or is it 27 if you include the new one?), this simple-minded junior still had papers to write and teachers to suck up to. Thus, I settled with the masterful Lone Wolf & Cub series, since it consisted of only six films, ranging from 1972 to 1974. I was hit with a double-fanboy-whammie, as these were comic book movies as well (*snort*), based upon a multi-volumed set by Kazuo Koike. The films center upon Ogami Itto (Tomisaburo Wakayama), an inherent hero-for-hire, and his son Daigoro (Akihiro Tomikawa), who he carries around in his seemingly normal baby cart (more on this conspicuous carriage later). His main quest is for vengeance upon the Yagyu clan, led by the malicious Retsudo (Minoru Ohki), who stripped him of his title as Royal Executioner (a self-explanatory occupation) as well as killed his wife. Now he “lives at the crossroads to Hell” as a demon, wishing only for his sweet revenge. He also does side-jobs along the way for 500 gold pieces a pop that usually involve assassination, and you know what that means. Throughout the flicks, an incomprehensible amount of violence is very well applied to the story. The blood is 70s style bright red, and an absurd quantity of the stuff sprays from decapitated bodies and open chests. Heck, it can be comical, but the incredibly serious grimace of Ogami Itto reminds you to stay quiet and watch the movie with a stern face. But it’s not just the gore that makes the action scenes exciting; moreover it’s the gadgets and gizmos that Lone Wolf and Cub apply to their victims. First off, the baby cart has several detachments that become such things as naginatas and knives. Also—uh, maybe I shouldn’t spoil all the secrets of the strange pair. These films are masterfully photographed, making great use of Japanese culture for scenery, as well as finely choreographed fight scenes. These movies aren’t for the rabid pacifists, however, as the violent content soars beyond perhaps even that of Kill Bill. But all in all, I’d recommend them to anyone interested in foreign classics or the foundations of action films.