I wanted to throw this up on the "In Theatres Now" part of filmwurld, but anyhoo:
The Motorcycle Diaries
In Spanish with English subtitles.
Written by Jose Riveras
Directed by Walter Salles
Starring: Gael García Bernal and Rodrigo de la Serna

This is without question one of the best films I’ve seen in a long time. I haven’t read the book and of course (all together now:) The Movie never does it justice.
None the less, I thoroughly enjoyed this look at a defining period in Che’s life.

It was enough to stir up some serious wanderlust, too. In one scene, where the travellers meet with a peasant couple looking for work, the peasants ask the two travelling doctors if they are looking for work too.
“No.” Says Ernesto Guevara
“Well, then, why are you travelling?”
“We travel just to travel.” He replies.
“God Bless you.”

Today, people travel for the sake of travelling all the time. Back then, it was different. The prospect of setting out flat broke on a motorcycle that pisses oil was complete lunacy. An act of necessity rather than will. In some ways, I guess it was an act of necessity. The two wanted desperately to know more about “the land they knew only from books” and sure enough, they found it.

The Motorcycle Diaries is one of my top films for the year. Well shot, acted, directed and written.
www.motorcyclediaries.net