Thread: The Beatles Anthology

Threaded View

The Beatles Anthology

Searching for some optimism after the election, I watched the entire Beatles Anthology this week.

This is the best document on the Fabs ever produced. Thankfully made with the co-operation of key players in their rise and fall (save John, Brian and Mal Evans), this documentary film is a true testament to these extremely talented lads from Liverpool.

It shows just how intelligent, witty, sarcastic and exalted these 4 men were. It covers their entire career, starting with their humble beginnings in northern England (The Quarrymen, The Cavern Club), and progressing with a wonderful pace to the long and winding road that are the albums Let it Be & Abbey Road.

You see just how TIGHT these guys were. Tight as musicians, tight as friends, tight as brothers, tight as Beatlemania wave-riders.
    The mania was indeed awesome, and if you pay close attention to this documentary, you can literally feel the power of "conquering the known world through music".

The songs. The songs are divine in most cases.
    As Eric Burdon famously said: "You can't have a party without Beatles music". Raw rock and roll for the most part, they progressed to psychedelia when Bob Dylan said to them one day in a hotel room "I like your music guys but you're not sayin' anything!"
    He turned them on to the herbal jazz cigarettes and told them to write more avant-garde tunes. The result was Revolver, arguably their best album, and recognized everywhere as one of the best records ever produced. Listen to Here, There and Everywhere- it's Sir Paul in Romantic overdrive.

I could talk about the Beatles forever. My favorite band is The Doors, but The Four Horsemen of Pepperland are held in supreme regard, and anyone who knows music cannot deny the genius that was THE BEATLES.

Watch The Beatles Anthology if you haven't already.
    It's the story told by those who were at the vortex.
    Last edited by Johann; 11-15-2007 at 10:47 AM.
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd