Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Moose Hole - 'Photo' Delivers More Positives Then Negatives

The critics loved Williams for his role in the film. They ultimately decide who wins what award, so he will more then likely could be nominated for this award.
    The Moose Hole Movie Reviews:
    Hidalgo --- March 5th
    Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind --- March 19th
    Jersey Girl --- March 26th

Click Here to Read The Moose's Review of Miracle!

soixante Guest
    The best films I've seen this year are One Hour Photo and the Good Girl, both made outside the studio system (both are from Fox Searchlight, which is 20th Century Fox's specialty division, so I guess it's related to the studio system). But significantly, neither of these films were released by the big studio. I pretty much rarely see major studio films, because they are all cut from the same cloth. It is significant that the most talented writers and directors to emerge in the past 10 years (Tarantino, PT Anderson, Aronofsky, etc) came from the independent ranks.

Another good reason why Hollywood should take notice of these independent films.
    Hidalgo --- March 5th

Media sources have fun trying to get us to believe that these films which Soixante describes "cut from the same cloth" are the important films of our time. They are usually, in fact, only the most profitable as the viewing public falls victim to the corporate media blitz. I have a feeling that when the moving picture has time to evolve and is retrospectively assessed, the indie pictures/directors are the ones who will receive the most artistic praise.

In architecture do we see the Astrodome or the Skydome as great works? No, of course not. They are just financial monstrousities that will be replaced in time.

Hope this is not too soap-boxish, but its good to remind ourselves what is quality and what is...not.

Good Girl and One Hour Photo both fit the bill.

You are right. There are many independent films that will stand the test of time but there are also many expensive company films that will as well. Star Wars, Titanic, Spider-Man, and Jurassic Park come to mind.
    Hidalgo --- March 5th

It's not true that all critics loved "One Hour Photo" by any means. Robins deserves Academy recognition for the movie -- and just for this movie alone -- not because it's a different kind of role for him but purely for the merit of his performance. He achieves a compelling level of creepiness here that is very fine and unique. "One Hour Photo" is one of the year's best. My biggest budget 2002 fave so far is "Punch Drunk Love," and my other current choices are "The Good Girl," "The Believer," "Igby," and its naive companion piece "Tadpole" --all small films-- but I'm still hoping Speilberg's costly "Catch Me If You Can" turns out to be a winner. I can easily name off more than ten great foreign movies this year but I've only got six American ones and I don't know where the last four are going to come from--oh yes: the documentaries, "Bowling for Columbine" of course, and "Shadows of Motown".....Now I need at least two more (I'm not sure about "Tadpole": "Igby" sort of blew it out of the water). Does budget matter? This you can possibly say: that small budget movies have a better chance of achieving the originality that independence implies; when the stakes are lower, the filmmaker may be able to maintain more autonomy. But one of the great things a movie can traditionally do is be an awesome spectacle, and a skillful director can achieve wonders with a big budget that couldn't be achieved otherwise: witness "Titanic," which I for one love, and wouldn't have wanted to have done on the cheap. As Anthony Lane wrote of "Titanic," "If you are going to spend two hundred million dollars on a movie, this is the way to do it."
    Last edited by Chris Knipp; 12-23-2002 at 01:39 AM.

I am not saying that Williams should gather an award just because it is a different role for him, though that may play into effect for some to choose him, but that his acting within the film was the best he had presented in quite sometime outside of Insomnia.
    Hidalgo --- March 5th

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12