Thread: The very last frame of the movie

author6 Guest

The very last frame of the movie

Wanted to throw out to everyone. Can you tell me what you thought the meaning was of the last photo in the movie of Sy and the entire family. Fantasy? True for later on after he was cured or what? Interested in theories. Thanks

mariaT Guest

Your sequel is safe with me

Ive read and think that they might have been referencing the future. In case this ones a big hit, then theyd have the chance to put out a sequel. Not sure if that would work. We'll have to wait and see.

author6 Guest

What is your personal take?

Maria, thanks for your answer but what it your take, did you get anything from that last frame or is it something you heard or read. I seem to have an opinion that is very different from the others that saw the movie with me. My wife and friends saw it as fantasy. I saw it as maybe the family finding out what had happened to him as a young person and maybe they took him in because he was so lonely. This is hypothetical of course, but he sure taught the husband a lesson and after what you thought might be happening, maybe the wife forgave him and all ended well. After all I believe he did not committ any action that would be a crime, or that know one would convict him. What do you think?

mariaT Guest
    Interesting. I saw it initially as a fantasy of his. In the picture he is able to become a member the family; they are part of his life and to become part of theirs is his fantasy. If your hypothesis is correct, that would be very interesting. It would make for a great sequel! I guess he didn't do anything too terribly awful, but I might have a hard time taking him into my family.

David Cornelius Guest
    Remember this, though: Jakob hasn't aged in the picture, and you have to assume Sy got a few good years in prison for menacing/harassment/knife action/etc. If it was a shot of the future, the son would be older than he's shown here.

Besides, I can't imagine anyone having gone through that willing to cuddle up to their assailant, no matter what their past.

My vote's for fantasy. We already saw the Christmas photo "with Sy," so we know the guy has his delusions.

Dave

PS- Yes, Sy did many, many things that would land him in jail. (If nothing else, knife theft...) The trick to his character is that he doesn't believe he did anything wrong - which, of course, makes him creepier.

The last shot I wouldn't think is real, it's just a parting shot by the director to promote the fantasy. Robins' character would have wanted this perfect fantasy, needed this fantasy, and became possessive of it, wanting to defend and justify the perfect wife, mother and daughter against the jerk off husband. Robins still wanted the satisfaction of the jerk off husband to pay for destroying both Robins' and the wife's perfect life.

There isn't any nice, cute ending here. There isn't supposed to be a happy conclusion, a family torn with an affair, except for a daughter who still loves her father. I'm disappointed that no real reason for the affair is apparent in the movie (why?). The husband appears to come off more crazy than Williams in terms of stupidity. If you had a wife like that would you want to have an affair?

There isn't any sequel material here. This is what makes the movie additional good.

What's more interesting is the photos that Robin Williams looked at and took towards the end of the film was of things not people. Did he take any photos of the couple in the hotel room or not?

author6 Guest

Looks like I was wrong, it was a fantasy!

I loved the movie and I am the one who started this by thinking that it was not a fantasy, but you are right, the kid didn't age and wouldn't that have been another twist if the picture showed that. But, I am still not convinced that he would have been prosecuted by anyone. After all, he was abused as a kid and was obviously a recluse, creepy, etc. He wanted to protect his "dream family" when the husband cheated. How very creative it was of the writer to have him meet up with the husband and take those pictures. It is fun to think about what else we could have written to end the movie. Was the husband so distraught after getting caught? Surely you had to feel that the wife thought he was going to be killed by Sy when the police first turned up, and if you by that story line then she would have been pissed but relieved that he wasn't killed and maybe she would take him back? None of us really know but I would sure like to hear some others of you out there as to another possible ending. Theft of knife, don't think they would prosecute after hearing his story. Taking those pictures, don't think it is crime and the husband and girlfriend would never press charges or go to court under those circumstances. Anyhow, hope you agree Robin Williams should surely get a nomination for his part.

mariaT Guest

Re: Looks like I was wrong, it was a fantasy!

Originally posted by author6
    Anyhow, hope you agree Robin Williams should surely get a nomination for his part.
    I think he'll get nominated. I dont think he'll win. The film wasn't good enough to hold up his nomination for a victory.

David Cornelius Guest
    Originally posted by tabuno
    What's more interesting is the photos that Robin Williams looked at and took towards the end of the film was of things not people. Did he take any photos of the couple in the hotel room or not?
    I believe in the opening scene, Eriq La Salle mentioned the camera in the hotel room plus the roll in his bag. I'd assume the camera had the "naughty pics," while the roll had the shots of Sy's ordinary life he discussed in his narration. The cop probably thought it harmless to allow him to see that roll, but no cop would show him the other roll.

Although I wouldn't mind seeing it again just to make sure...

Dave

I wouldn't definitively come out and say that there are any absolutes in interpreting the ending, that one version or another must be right or wrong but the fantasy version has a more rational, practical, and particularly "edgy" ending that critics love.

Romantic and loveable, the comedic roles of Robin Williams can be, unfortunately, the criminal justice system in the real world would look really closely at Robin Williams actions, and there is a strong likelihood that Williams character really did threaten people to perform sexually-oriented acts against their will - a big felony crime if I must say, no matter that the couple were involved in an affair. While undersandable, the actions of Williams in the movie raise serious questions about his ability to distinguish between reality and fantasy and the future actions and consequences are something that based on his actions to date would suggest that something would need to be done by the local prosecutor's office. One must be able to distinguish between Robin Williams the character in this movie and Robin Williams the actor and person, and his other characters he has played.

I believe the movie could hold its own as to an Oscar nomination, it has that genuinely original, solid dramatic feel to it. It's solid. Robins performance was great. I believe he has a shot.

author6 Guest

Debate! That's the purpose of this site.

Tabuno, I agree with most of what you say, however, I don't believe that Sy had them do anything that was "really" sexual. He had them pose to show them in his mind that it was wrong to do such a thing if your were married. Also, his troubled abused childhood drove him to this course. I still doubt that if there was such an action in "real life" that anyone would prosecute a non offense. It certainly proved its point, but there was no criminal activity except the knife theft. None of these things are a felony and the surely the courts would see that he was abused and probably send him off for psychiatric evaluation. Anyhow, my whole point of writing this question was that I thought that it might not have been a fantasy in that last shot, but more a forgiveness after the fact. However, after hearing from so many people I admit to being wrong.

About the last photo in "One Hour Photo"

I believe the last photo shown in "One Hour Photo" tells us that fantasy was the only true happiness Sy Parrish had. Throughout the film we know a lot about Sy in that he wasn't a popular guy at high school, he was always picked on, and never really got a chance to shine or become recognized. From seeing "One Hour Photo" we are constantly reminded that Mr. Parrish's enjoyment comes out of photography and from being a developer, he's able to see the photographs and imagine wonderful images coming out of them. He can fantasize of thoughts that he believes would come true to him in life. The end photograph shows that the only happiness Sy got was from fantasizing about the photographs.

Pipsorcle's comment on the last image of One Hour Photo, taken in combination with the movie, is really a sobering and impactful statement of the movie, sums it up very well.

My take on the ending is that it's not entirely fantasy or reality. Take it as symbolism. Yes, Sy wanted to be a part of this family, but it would be redundant to drive that point again at the end. Sy is and always will be a part of this family because of his actions. The photo is just a way to tangibly show something rather intangible. Took me some thinking on the drive home to grasp it.
    Check out my reviews at Mark Reviews Movies