Originally posted by JustaFied

Where would you have liked this film "to go"? Specifically, what were you expecting and how did it fail? Besides being "flat" or "boring" was there something in the plot development that you disagreed with?
Generally, I expect characters to develop. That is, I expect them to learn something about themselves or someone else; to succeed, fail, learn and otherwise change over the course of a character driven script. (This WAS a character driven script... right? I mean, what plot? Man cheats on wife, mistress beats him up, he cheats on wife again then goes back to wife? That's not a plot it's a string of events.)
Nobody learned anything, accomplished or lost anything. The wings guy was a womanizer at the beginning and he's a womanizer at the end. It would have been different if he'd THOUGHT about changing and fabricated/found a reason not to.
Giamatti, who gets props from me for being a fellow tallented Italian, is the same alcoholic loser 2nd rate writer that he was at the beginning of the show.
Sideways.
I suppose that I didn't get it, and I was supposed to revel in the intricacies of the character's internal conflicts or something equally worthless, but I kept waiting for something to happen and I got let down.
Sideways.
I really do think that the writer was having a laugh at the audience and if this tripe wins best picture I'll surely puke.