Thread: Les Choristes (aka The Chorus) (France) (2004)

Hybrid View

Les Choristes (aka The Chorus) (France) (2004)

The official website is here ...
    www.leschoristes-lefilm.com/

This is also France's submission to Oscar 2005.

As I have watched this movie some time ago (about a month or two), I might have forgotten some things that I might want to say then ...

What do I like about the movie?
    ---------------------------------
    -- definitely the two young protagonists Jean-Baptiste Maunier (as Pierre Morhange) and Maxence Perrin (Pépinot enfant)!
    -- definitely the way the young cast delivered the song: the song/music is very nice and the lyrics are very meaningful.
    -- although the genre (about teacher inspiring students) is NOT new, the movie has some ways of working spell on one by the time one reaches the end ... I do not know how to explain what really makes the movie good ... but at the beginning, I was like okay, another movie about teacher and students ... BUT by the end ... I was like WOWWWWWWWW ...

What may people not like?
    --------------------------
    -- Some cynics may feel that it is too idealistic?! another movie about teacher inspiring students, and at the end, he succeeds ...
    -- Some things may be lost in translation (because French is a nice language). ;)

Overall, I really like the movie. I think it should be watched in a place where the sound system is VERY good. And hopefully, in the cinema, no one is chewing crackers, or crunching their pop corn ... ha ha ha
    ;)
    Last edited by hengcs; 11-14-2004 at 07:15 PM.

congrats ...
    ;)

Although I like the movie, I think its chances of winning Oscar for Best Foreign Film is tough.

BUT I VOTE it for the BEST SONG for Oscar!!!
    "Look To Your Path (Vois Sur Ton Chemin)" - THE CHORUS

;)
    It is VERY meaningful and well delivered by the kids!
    Last edited by hengcs; 01-25-2005 at 08:14 AM.

DVD

As you know hengcs, I dislike the film very much but this doesn't mean that you shouldn't watch it again. The French DVD came w/out English subs, but, the HK DVD released in December offers subtitles in English. Enjoy!

http://us.yesasia.com/en/PrdDept.asp...ection-videos/

Re: DVD

Originally posted by arsaib4
    As you know hengcs, I dislike the film very much but this doesn't mean that you shouldn't watch it again. The French DVD came w/out English subs, but, the HK DVD released in December offers subtitles in English. Enjoy!
    Hi,
    I have bought and watched the HK DVD version.
    ;)

Regarding the DVD -- the "making of" from the HK version is NOT worth the time at all. I am really looking toward the French version "making of". I wonder if it is better. If yes, I hope the US DVD will have good EXTRAS!

Anyway, I like the movie, it is deceptively simple. But I do not think it is the Best Foreign Film.
    Should it win Oscar? I think it should win the BEST SONG!
    "LOOK TO YOUR PATH (VOUS SUR TON CHEMIN)" - THE CHORUS

Oh yes, I am campaigning for the song. I like Josh Groban, but the song "Believe" (from Polar Express) is not the best. The other 3 are not even close. Frankly, "Accidentally in Love" (from Shrek 2) is overhyped.