Thread: 8th German Film Festival (in Singapore)

8th German Film Festival (in Singapore)

From 26 Nov to 4 Dec 2004
    www.goethe.de/ins/sg/sin/ver/en170089.htm

The line up of films seems very good.
    ;)

I recommend
    - Head-On (Best Film in Berlin Film Fest 2004, German's submission to Oscar 2005)
    - Rosenstrasse (Best Actress in Venice Film Fest 2003)

Hmmm ... does anyone have any comments about
    - The Blindflyers
    - The Miracle Of Bern
    - The Guy

I have heard positive reviews about them too.

or any other films in the list?

thanks
    Last edited by hengcs; 11-23-2004 at 11:31 AM.

Agree with you on Head-On, brilliant, powerful, absolutely blew me away. Haven't felt the same way since Amores Perros, but both aren't perfect.

Disagree on Rosentrasse, typical middle-of-the-road stuff that's been coming from Von trotta lately.

From the list, really want to see NightSongs. Karmakar is one of the best in Germany right now and German cinema is finally showing some signs of life. Blue Print is very popular due to it's star, Franka Potente (Run Lola Run).

Hey,
    when did you get to watch Head-On?

So, do you know why the music/song interject at those 6 to 7 times. And for the 3rd to 5th time, why is there only music and not lyrics?
    Last edited by hengcs; 11-23-2004 at 06:21 PM.

I watched it yesterday on a dvd which was dubbed in French.

The orchestra in Istanbul playing music represents a kind of a bridge, emotionally and psychologically not just for the characters but the moods of the film itself. Why aren't there ary lyrics in some interludes is probably because the tone is more somber thus we more or less see only single instruments being played as I recall.

I can't answer your question regarding the switch to English since as I mentioned, everything was dubbed. I know the scene you're talking about. It's certainly a key scene but I am having a hard time coming up with the answer since I didn't hear their own voices plus do you really think the switch holds that much importance?

Originally posted by arsaib4
    I can't answer your question regarding the switch to English since as I mentioned, everything was dubbed. I know the scene you're talking about. It's certainly a key scene but I am having a hard time coming up with the answer since I didn't hear their own voices plus do you really think the switch holds that much importance?

Why did they speak in English?
    Sanoce and my replies are recompiled here ...
    http://www.filmwurld.com/forums/show...&threadid=1105

Yes, I have read you other post (it isn't far from this one) but many of your entries are pretty much the same, arent' they? Basically, you seem to be saying that it's the best way that they were able to communicate, but again I'm not sure how much Turkish and German were spoken by those two, do you know? Was there an indication in the English subs regarding what language was being spoken at a given time? Did Cahit speak Turkish at all?

Sorry,
    but the English subtitles do not indicate which is German or Turkish. However, I do believe Turks in German occasionally speak a hybrid form of German peppered with Turkish. Most second generation of migrants to any country usually retain part of their language.

Also, I am sure Cahit can speak Turkish, abeit poorly -- because he STARTED the conversation with the sister in Turkish. He only converted to English somewhere in between.

As to whether the 6 points are the same, there are some subtle differences, mostly provided by Sanoce (oh, dont you miss him when discussing German films? ha ha). I have tried to understand the subtle differences Sanoce provided.
    ;)

Here is my 1 cent worth.
    (Note: points 1 to 6 parallel those 6 items I list).

(first part of point 1) The most obvious reason is -- Cahit is not conversant in Turkish, and she is not conversant in German. So, they need to communicate in a common language.

(second part of point 1) By choosing a language that they are both not good in (i.e., English), it hinted at the insecurities by both of them, being unsure how the negotiation will actually end.

(point 2) I also suggested that they chose the place Turkey for their final discussion because Turkey signifies the bridge of East and West culture/values/etc, and English bridges people from the East and West.

(point 3) This passage also highlights an important question in the film, is globalization good? Look at what happens to the subsequent generations of the migrants who are desperately searching for identity. Are they lost or decadent? Yet, it is NOT an obvious answer because globalization has allowed Cahit to fly to Turkey to get her back. And the use of English has allowed them to convey themselves.

(point 4) Another major point of the film is -- all of them are in search for a home, the sister treated the hotel/work as home and Cahit was still searching for a home. English, being a different language from both of them, reiterates and fortifies this point of "lost home".

(point 5) In any country, the emigrants do not necessary behave like one any more and the immigrants are not treated as one either. The point of the film is -- despite all these differences, we have a lot of commonness which we may fail to see.

(point 6) Finally, we only understand both of them better because they finally spoke a language most of us understand. This also suggests that BOTH of them have been enlightened (like the audience).

In sum, the passage signifies
    -- insecurities
    -- bridges
    -- critic & defendant of globalization
    -- lost
    -- similarity amidst diversity
    -- enlightenment

Just my 1 cent worth.
    ;)
    Last edited by hengcs; 11-24-2004 at 06:36 AM.