Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Alexander - Controversial But Fantastic

Angelina Jolie's accent reminded me of Miss Kitka in the 1966 Batman movie. "purrrrfect"

Fantastic film indeed- what a satisfying movie to watch!
    The relief I felt after just 2 minutes of opening credits that I was in safe cinematic hands. The Stone is still in full control.
    Oliver's still making giant strides in his career.

Those vast, expansive terrain shots- the "bird's-eye-view" from the eagle were simply exhilerating.

Towards the end, Old Ptolemy (Anthony Hopkins) tells us that Alexander spent his whole life in pursuit of freedom, and that he
    was made free just by that virtue. The shots that show us how large his armies were and on what scale they conducted their battles is just plain awesome- it's a concern Kubrick had when planning his Napoleon movie- he would approve how Oliver did it.

Epic. Just plain epic.
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd

Feast your eyes on this gentlemen: Alexander in search of denial.

They don't get much campier than this, unless you include Ann Baxter and Robert Taylor.
    Colige suspectos semper habitos

Originally posted by Johann
    The relief I felt after just 2 minutes of opening credits that I was in safe cinematic hands. The Stone is still in full control.
    Oliver's still making giant strides in his career.
    Agree.
    That was why I listed that as my BEST about the film ...

see ...

What is good?
    ----------------
    - Definitely the choreography of the opening and ending credits! It is very well choreographed, with a very nice blue hue and imagery. The English letters/characters backed by the Greek letters/characters are nice too!

I surfed the web, and few (if any) mentioned about the opening and closing credits. So, I felt VERY COMPELLED to highlight it.
    ;)

I don't understand why so many people who choose to post on this thread feel that this was a good movie. I enjoy Oliver Stone a great deal. I own his ultimate collection, and I saw this on opening night. I was expecting something great, and possibly masterful, but what I saw was a bunch of jumbled performances, mediocre directing and an upliftiing score all mixed together. I enjoyed about two things about this movie, the score by Vangelis which does not fit the movie at all, and the battle scene in India with the elephants.

This was Oliver Stone's dream project. He spent 10 years of his life writing the script. And what does he do? He makes Alexander the Great out to be a nice person forced to do things that his people do not want him to do. After the movie, I walked out wondering what Stone was thinking? I had a great interest in Alexander the Great when I was a bit younger, and I had always imagined Alexander to be a war tyrant, but a genius as well. That reminds me, what happened to Alexander's phalanx? He had come up with a new phalanx that helped him win many battles, and it was no where to be found in the movie.

Like mentioned before, the editing was rough and jumped everywhere, making it impossible to know what style Stone would use next. To me, Stone seemed to be trying to be more artful than usual, but it ended up being a mix of bad performances (with russian accents too), mediocre direction, strange writing, bad editing and a mismatched score. I wonder if the next two Alexander the Great movies will be any better (one produced by Martin Scorsese.)

No Flash Makes It Great!

Unlike Troy, Alexander was a refreshing, non-cookie cutter big budget, epic movie. I enjoyed this movie immensely, mostly because of Alexander's character and the different side of antiquity that rarely is shown regarding sexuality. Alexander is definitely portrayed as a "nice" guy forced to do things... Instead the Alexander portrayed in this movie unlike Anchilles, is a much more complex character with both a penchant for impulsive and harsh, sometimes cruel measures along with a vision quest as well as a longing at social reform. It is the tension within Alexander that was compelling about this movie. His mother is also well acted and convincing is a strong, dramatic role that is performed by an actress that goes against her type. The editing was cut in a way that made the movie have depth, bringing together an intelligible storyline along with a nice narrative giving the movie added qualitative substance. More me, Alexander was the historic epic movie of 2004 and one of my top ten movies of that year.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12