Thread: Million Dollar Baby - Do we have a winner?

Million Dollar Baby - Do we have a winner?

I'm not sure how many people are aware of this film which is coming out shortly and I haven't read any mention of it in the many "looking forward to" threads on this site. However, WB has certainly kept a low profile for this until now. Directed by Clint Eastwood (Mystic River), the film stars the director himself along with Hilary Swank and Morgan Freeman.

Trailer - http://milliondollarbabymovie.warnerbros.com/

Critics from The Hollywood Reporter, Screen International, Variety along with Ebert & Roeper are very enthusiastic about the Million Dollar Baby.

I have heard about this movie because I happened to watch a recent interview (in the afternoon) involving Hilary Swank. It was either this week or last week.

I guess I am anticipating this movie too ...
    ha ha ha

Anyway, the official site is here
    http://milliondollarbabymovie.warnerbros.com/

PS:

(1) I like "Mystic River", but my friend whom I treated to the movie found the movie too slow and boring. We actually left the theater half way. I actually went a second time to watch so that I knew the ending. I like the movie mainly because of the performance by the cast.
    - Sean Penn! wow ...
    - the supporting cast too ...

(2) While some or many may disagree, I definitely feel that "Unforgiven" deserved the Best Picture for Oscar that year.

(3) However, I do feel that at times, a lot of credit is given to work by Clint Eastwood simply because many people like or respect him. And in the board of Oscar voters, a lot of people really like him.

Nonetheless, I do agree that the standard of "Unforgiven" and "Mystic River" were high. Though what is BEST is always subjective and vary from people to people ...

;)
    Last edited by hengcs; 12-09-2004 at 12:42 AM.

Originally posted by hengcs
    However, I do feel that at times, a lot of credit is given to work by Clint Eastwood simply because many people like or respect him.
    Unfortunately not enough credit is given to him as a director. But then those people haven't seen films like Bird and A Perfect World and if they have, they don't appreciate them enough. Eastwood is one the great American directors working today.

*The link I posted works, so I'm not sure why you posted the same one.

Wow, this film is getting some great reviews. Turan on NPR was glowing this morning, and A.O. Scott in NYT says it's the best film out of Hollywood this year, or something to that effect.

No idea when it's showing here, but I'm looking forward to seeing it somewhere. Evidently it starts out like a standard, formulaic pick-me-up film about an underdog boxer. But something different and interesting happens about halfway through, something that the reviewers (thankfully) aren't willing to divulge in detail.

Indeed, it is earning some rave reviews. As Scott Foundas indicated in his interview, the studio behind it didn't really realize what they had until a few screenings were organized. Hopefully it'll be promoted just like the Scorcese film. Roger Ebert has also spoken highly of it and I believe he has also called this film "the best of the year."