Thread: Malick's THE NEW WORLD - trailer

Malick's THE NEW WORLD - trailer

I'm glad the wait isn't 20 years this time around, as Terrence Malick's The New World is set to release next year in November, about 7 years after his 1998 masterpiece, The Thin Red Line. Produced by New Line Cinema (it's good to see The Rings money being put to good use) the film stars Colin Farrell (Spielberg, Stone and now Malick), Christian Bale (I'm sure a little film called Batman will raise his profile), David Thewlis and Q'Orianka Kilcher. The film is about explorer John Smith and the clash between Native Americans and the British in the 17th century. Well, once again we have a Spielberg / Malick epic showdown with both films proudly wearing their all-world badges.

Here's a trailer for The New World:

http://www.thenewworldmovie.com/

Wow, this looks like it's going to be amazing. Seems to be the perfect subject matter for Malick's moody, ethereal style. I agree, Thin Red Line was a masterpiece; it was a one of a kind film in a genre (World War II films) that's often rather banal and repetitive. Malick's wonderful at creating the personal, subjective viewpoints in situations; the story of John Smith and Pocahontas should be beautifully told in this film.

The Thin Red Line was certainly a breath of fresh air, a film which wisely acknowledged the coexistence of good and evil in nature and in all men, on both sides of the fence. I'm still waiting for the other 3 hours of film which was apparently shot but left on the cutting room floor for obvious reasons. I won't be surprised if they discover it in a warehouse somewhere a decade from now just like they found the extra hour of Sam Fuller's The Big Red One recently. We'll see!

Can't wait until November for The New World, the actress playing Pocahontas is actually a 14 year old so that'll be interesting but I'm told it's historically accurate.

Is he still making a movie about Che also? I guess I could go over to Imdb and wade through the info there, but someone here might know. That could be an interesting complement to "The Motorcycle Diaries", which I liked, but which also avoided much of the controversy by focusing on a period of his life before it got juicy.

Unfortunately, Steven Soderbergh who was the original choice is back on to direct Che. Soderbergh is also the executive producer of the film and along with his partners decided to go with Malick in pre-production, but obviously, since Malick was also planning for The New World, it was decided that Soderbergh will direct it himself. Malick is still being credited as the "writer" of the project which stars Benicio Del Toro, Javier Bardem and Ryan Gosling. It was also reported that Malick was actually in Bolivia at the time of Guevera's death as the reporter for the New Yorker, so it would've been interesting if he was at the helm, but Soderbergh isn't exactly chopped liver either.

Thanks arsaib!

Yes indeed, this looks incredible.

Malick vs. Spielberg? I think Steven himself would even admit that Malick is a purer talent...

Can't wait.
    Malick is a poet.
    "Set the controls for the heart of the Sun" - Pink Floyd