Thread: Manoel de Oliveira's A Talking Picture

Manoel de Oliveira's A Talking Picture

Last edited by arsaib4; 09-06-2006 at 11:47 PM.

DVD Release

Kino International released A Talking Picture on DVD on April 5th. I certainly disagreed with its politics yet this film still got a reaction out of me and made me think, something I can't say about 90% of the releases from last year. After all, I ended up writing about it and am now promoting its DVD release. Even politics aside, aesthetically speaking this is a gem and that should be a reason alone why it deserves to be seen. So, don't be shy about joining the handful of people who've seen the film in this country.

Re: DVD Release

Originally posted by arsaib4
    Kino International released A Talking Picture on DVD on April 5th. I certainly disagreed with its politics yet this film still got a reaction out of me and made me think, something I can't say about 90% of the releases from last year. After all, I ended up writing about it and am now promoting its DVD release. Even politics aside, aesthetically speaking this is a gem and that should be a reason alone why it deserves to be seen. So, don't be shy about joining the handful of people who've seen the film in this country.
    I'm eagerly awaiting its release here in Canada. it has been on my list for some time.
    "They must find it hard, those who have taken authority as truth, rather than truth as authority" Gerald Massey

I used to be under the impression that all film releases in Canada (whether theatrical or home video) follow a similar timetable as ours in the US. But, I guess that only applies to major Hollywood releases, right?

Originally posted by arsaib4
    I used to be under the impression that all film releases in Canada (whether theatrical or home video) follow a similar timetable as ours in the US. But, I guess that only applies to major Hollywood releases, right?
    That may be true in some markets but not all. Many films open in selected theatres across the US but do not show here in Canada for weeks or months later, and some not at all. DVDs are also very erratic.
    "They must find it hard, those who have taken authority as truth, rather than truth as authority" Gerald Massey