Thread: Phantom of the Opera (2004) (USA/UK)

Phantom of the Opera (2004) (USA/UK)

The official site is here ...
    http://phantomthemovie.warnerbros.com/

What I would advise against?
    -- To compare the stage musical and the movie.
    (i) One may claim that "Chicago" the movie won Best Film. BUT, if you think about it, "Chicago" has the advantage of an interesting plot/music/song with a MUCH simpler stage design (although nice choreography). So, the director could do and has done a good job in the movie (esp. the choreography). Let's ignore the part about the singing.
    (ii) However, "Phantom" the theater is already VERY good with the stage design, costumes, choreography, etc ... and it is more challenging (if not impossible) to outperform the theater version.

Back to the Phantom ...
    What is good?
    -- The opening scene with a postcard until the morphing into the days of the Opera House.
    ;)
    -- Definitely the set (esp. the Opera House) and the costumes.
    -- The masquerade scene.
    -- Emmy's performance.

What I thought could be better?
    -- Somehow, I recall that I used to pity the Phantom. BUT, in this movie, I did not. Is it the script (as in the way it is directed)? or the performance?
    -- The opening "black and white" scene is good. The closing "black and white" scene is okay, BUT I really did NOT like the 2 other INTERMEDIATE "black and white" scenes. Those are awkward and DISRUPTIVE!
    -- Having a horse to carry Christine at the "dungeon" for a less than 10 metre walk to the water?!
    -- Changing when the chandelier falls ...
    -- Changing how the Phantom disappears at the end ...

In sum, it is watchable, NOT as bad as some critics have penned.
    Last edited by hengcs; 12-27-2004 at 01:00 AM.