I haven't seen Ceylan's previous features but I'd like to, very much. While doing a bit of research, I came across this comment from J. Rosenbaum: "Clouds of May, the second feature from Nuri Bilge Ceylan, struck some viewers as belonging to the school of Kiarostami, a mistake they wouldn't make with his masterful third feature."

Sunday Jan. 16th

Warriors of Heaven and Earth, a "noodle western" directed by He Ping, overestimates viewers' ability to absorb and comprehend information during its first few minutes, which include no less than three voice-over narrators. Although somewhat muddled, a narrative emerges involving an imperial agent with a mission to travel west to kill a fugitive general who disobeyed orders to massacre Turk women and children in 8th century China. The plot expands to include ruthless bandits, enemy Turkish troops, a Buddhist priest on a secret mission, a general's daughter, itinerant warriors, etc. But the reason to watch the film is its majestic vistas and the magnificent images crafted by cinematographer Zhao Fei (Raise the Red Lantern, The Emperor and the Assassin). The dvd raises the issue of dubbing vs. subtitles, as both are available here. I make the unusual recommendation of selecting the English-dubbed track so your eyes are free to feast on the pretty pictures.