Yeah, I was pissed the "coffret" lacks subs. Here's my experience with Resnais films:
*Love these, seen 2x or more: Le Chant du Styrene, Night and Fog, Hiroshima Mon Amour, Mon Oncle d'Amerique, Last Year at Marienbad (own Marienbad dvd).
*Like these, seen once: La Guerre est Finie, Providence, Stavisky, L'Amour a Mort (Own last two on dvd)
*Never Watched: Muriel, La Vie est un roman, Melo (on my queue at Nicheflix), I Want to go home, Smoking/No Smoking, Same Old Song, Not On the Lips (will rent this summer).

Looks like the Koch Int. disc will copy the two interviews included on the AE disc of Marie et Julien.

Great News that BFI is releasing Celine et Julie in theatres. Bodes well for a dvd version.

Saturday June 4th

Not Reconciled or Only Violence Helps Where Violence Rules (Germany, 1965) on dvd-r
Marrieds Jean-Marie Straub and Daniele Huillet collaborated on this adaptation of Heinrich Boll's novel "Billiards at Half-Past Nine". It revolves around three generations of men from the Fahmel family and how each relates to a church, the Abbey of St. Joseph in Cologne. Heinrich Fahmel designs it in 1910, his son Robert blows it up as an act of sabotage, and Robert's son Joseph is entrusted with its reconstruction. The narrative incorporates several contemporaries of Robert both during the war years and in the present.
The underlying theme is (re)building vs. destruction. The theme's presence in the narrative is matched by a formalist strategy of exploding the plot into discrete, de-dramatized fragments from different time periods. The viewer is implicated in the job of restoring the timeline, to some extent, reconstructing the narrative. It helps that Not Reconciled is only 53 minutes long since the film requires one's full attention for maximum impact and legibility.
Not Reconciled is an indictment of Germany's collective psyche, which in the opinion of Straub and Huillet made the rise of Nazism possible. The film denounces how many who embraced Nazism wholeheartedly were able to assume positions of power during reconstruction. The thesis is that German society has failed to become reconciled with dangerous aspects of its psiche and legacy despite appearances to the contrary. Fassbinder advanced similar ideas on his BRD trilogy.